PDA

View Full Version : GNOME and .NET

samb0057
September 17th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I'm hearing about GNOME planning to be based off of .NET.

Doesn't this go against the whole idea of Linux itself? Using Microsoft's proprietary technologies? I don't see any advantage in this or why anyone would even consider it.

Dimitriid
September 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I seriously doubt that but even if true it would be a matter of 2 hours to switch over to KDE, seriously. Even fav gnome apps would be easier to carry over in the meantime.

I think they know better than shoot themselves on the foot and let KDE take it all but who knows.

23meg
September 17th, 2007, 06:02 AM
I'm hearing about GNOME planning to be based off of .NET.

No, you're hearing about the presence of a few Mono (not .NET) apps in GNOME being exaggerated to such FUD.

Doesn't this go against the whole idea of Linux itself? Using Microsoft's proprietary technologies?

.NET is a Microsoft technology, and Mono is its Free software implementation. There could be patent issues, but that isn't any more likely than with other software, and in the worst case, the Mono software used in GNOME is nowhere near its core and would be rewritable or replaceable without much setback.

Spr0k3t
September 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM
.NET is a Microsoft technology, and Mono is its Free software implementation. There could be patent issues, but that isn't any more likely than with other software, and in the worst case, the Mono software used in GNOME is nowhere near its core and would be rewritable or replaceable without much setback.

I doubt there will ever be patent issues with mono. Especially since MS encouraged Miguel to implement .net in the first place. As for me, mono doesn't exist on my systems.

karellen
September 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM
as long as Mono is a free implementation of .NET I have no problems with it

forrestcupp
September 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM
.NET is a Microsoft technology, and Mono is its Free software implementation. There could be patent issues, but that isn't any more likely than with other software
That's right. Mono is not Microsoft. There is nothing wrong with utilizing a great programming environment. It's not any worse than programming with Java in Linux. Maybe even better since Mono is totally free.

As for the patent thing, it was my understanding that the only area that Microsoft could attack is the Windows.Forms namespace and the Form class. I think the Mono project found that out early on and made their own native variation to keep out of trouble.