PDA

View Full Version : iPod on Linux is a reality once again!

Mazza558
September 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Well, they've done it!

Some folk have been working tirelessly to reverse-engineer the lock-in code that prevents the newer iPods from working with anything but iTunes.

...and, they've done it! All that needs to be done is to intergrate this into the Linux media players, like Amarok, and the universe will once again be at balance :)

Either way, thumbs up to the people who liberate the rest of us :)

LookTJ
September 16th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Please link?

smbm
September 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM
http://main.wtbw.co.uk/hash58.zip

Mazza558
September 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM
No official announcement, but head onto IRC at #gtkpod (freenode.net), and you'll see the party has already begun :)

Edit: or, see the link above :)

blithen
September 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Can you say Apple=pwned?

Sp4cedOut
September 16th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Apple=pwned

Nekiruhs
September 17th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Apple=pwned
Syntax Error!
Should be

str Apple="pwned"

init1
September 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Edit: NSFW

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Edit: NSFW

:lolflag:

CarpKing
September 17th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Well, that was quick.

SunnyRabbiera
September 17th, 2007, 02:52 AM
saw this coming, its what linux is best at.

Naralas
September 17th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Syntax Error!
Should be

str Apple="pwned"

No.

To the average person, apple and pwned are both existing values. Thus do not need to be declared, nor string literals

Applying the string "pwned" to apple would wipe out everything we know of it you damned fool.

We must add the value of the VARIABLE pwned to apple, not give it a simple string value with no real meaning.

Spr0k3t
September 17th, 2007, 04:28 AM
No.

To the average person, apple and pwned are both existing values. Thus do not need to be declared, nor string literals

Applying the string "pwned" to apple would wipe out everything we know of it you damned fool.

We must add the value of the VARIABLE pwned to apple, not give it a simple string value with no real meaning.

You're both wrong.

pwned is defined as a method of all Object[]... therefore the correct code is:

results = Apple.pwned();
printf("%s", results);

:D

Spike-X
September 17th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Nerds.

*smiley*

Ancheron
September 17th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Ah.... so you're posting that they are nerds.... while you yourself are on a Ubuntu Linux forum?

To me, that is the pot calling the kettle black. ;)

Spike-X
September 17th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Yes.

Yes, it is.

Incense
September 17th, 2007, 04:58 AM
The iPod classic will work with Amarok. That didn't take long...

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html

Polygon
September 17th, 2007, 05:42 AM
wow what was that, less then a week? owned apple!

Mazza558
September 17th, 2007, 08:10 AM
wow what was that, less then a week? owned apple!

It was just under 3 days :)

blueturtl
September 17th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I was not aware iPods did not work on Linux. My wife has a 8 GB nano she has been happily using with Amarok. :confused:

LookTJ
September 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I was not aware iPods did not work on Linux. My wife has a 8 GB nano she has been happily using with Amarok. :confused:
The new iPods didn't work because of Apple putting some hash in the database via iTunes, now we have the hash...so we can use the new iPods on Linux

misfitpierce
September 17th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Yep, it's great to hear.

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Very nice to hear, but I will still not buy a new Ipod, unless Apple make their own arrangements for Ipods to work on Linux. This is an effective work-around, and kudos to the hackers who did it, but all the same, Apple have already expressed their anti-linux sentiments.

mrgnash
September 17th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Someone please restrain my unbridled enthusiasm.

Nano Geek
September 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Very nice to hear, but I will still not buy a new Ipod, unless Apple make their own arrangements for Ipods to work on Linux. This is an effective work-around, and kudos to the hackers who did it, but all the same, Apple have already expressed their anti-linux sentiments.They weren't being anti-Linux exactly, they wanted to block third-party programs from accessing iPods so people would use iTunes, including Windows programs. So while it does block Linux users, that was not it's main purpose.

Lord Illidan
September 17th, 2007, 02:50 PM
They weren't being anti-Linux exactly, they wanted to block third-party programs from accessing iPods so people would use iTunes, including Windows programs. So while it does block Linux users, that was not it's main purpose.

If they aren't Anti-Linux, they are indifferent towards it to the point where it becomes apparent that they are doing their best to ignore it, apart from where it suits them (Konqueror code?) Otherwise, why not make a Linux Itunes client or else release drivers which enable Ipods to work more efficiently with Linux?

BigSilly
September 17th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I can't understand how these companies can afford to lock out customers, or make services exclusive to certain operating systems. I had a bite of this pie last week when the missus decided to use Audible to get some stand up comedy. What a bloody rigmarole! A format that only works on certain MP3 players, and a means of delivery that you can only get if you have Windows XP. What a load of cobblers. She bought the thing, and then promised never to use it again, simply because she didn't realise how limited her use of the service would be. That, and she's a Linux user at heart. ;)

Now the same with iPods. I'm not buying anything that requires me to use one single service and is restrictive in what OS you can use. If these companies can afford to lock us out, then I can certainly afford not to use their services. We'll find a legal alternative to both Audible and Apple, thankyouverymuch.

How disappointing it all is.

TheRingmaster
September 17th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Print "Hello, World Without Itunes!"

Nano Geek
September 17th, 2007, 07:34 PM
If they aren't Anti-Linux, they are indifferent towards it to the point where it becomes apparent that they are doing their best to ignore it, apart from where it suits them (Konqueror code?) Otherwise, why not make a Linux Itunes client or else release drivers which enable Ipods to work more efficiently with Linux?I agree that they made the wrong decision, but I was just saying that they weren't blocking third-party programs just to be anti-Linux.

I can't understand how these companies can afford to lock out customers, or make services exclusive to certain operating systems. I had a bite of this pie last week when the missus decided to use Audible to get some stand up comedy. What a bloody rigmarole! A format that only works on certain MP3 players, and a means of delivery that you can only get if you have Windows XP. What a load of cobblers. She bought the thing, and then promised never to use it again, simply because she didn't realise how limited her use of the service would be. That, and she's a Linux user at heart. ;)

Now the same with iPods. I'm not buying anything that requires me to use one single service and is restrictive in what OS you can use. If these companies can afford to lock us out, then I can certainly afford not to use their services. We'll find a legal alternative to both Audible and Apple, thankyouverymuch.

How disappointing it all is.But they have a fix now that should be integrated with the music players soon.

t0p
September 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Ain't progress a wunnerful thing? It seems like it was just yesterday... or maybe the day before... I was reading all this skev how Apple had locked our commie Free Software asses outta their new iPods... A new day rises and someone done gone hacked our asses right back in there again! :)

Seriously though: <serious>I have never, and will never, own an iPod. Like others have said here, why would I want to use a device that is constructed and programmed to not let people like me use it? I have a very nice cellphone that plays mp3s too. And, even though the manufacturer (Sony Ericsson) provided file transfer software that only runs in Windows, I can connect and transfer all the files I want in Ubuntu, using Nautilus, no hacks or cracks or secret codecs required.
Okay, it doesn't play ogg vorbis - but I sold my soul to mp3 and libdvdcss long ago, and I don't consider that deal with the devil to be as damning as skev like iTunes. </serious>

Anyway, next week Apple will lock us out of iPods again, and a coupla days later we'll just unlock ourselves back in. These dumbasses who think they can control information with their DRM or whatever... Don't they realize that when they let eager beavers buy the objects and take them home where they can be dismantled and examined and remantled... They're locking us out, but giving us the key to let ourselves back in.

jrusso2
September 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Strange that all you open source supporters that are so worried about legal dvd and codecs will jump at the chance to make an iPod which is the most proprietary drm crap around work with your pure Open Source, free software operating system.

Wouldn't it be better to support a more open player like the archos that uses Linux as its core?

Mazza558
September 17th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Strange that all you open source supporters that are so worried about legal dvd and codecs will jump at the chance to make an iPod which is the most proprietary drm crap around work with your pure Open Source, free software operating system.

Wouldn't it be better to support a more open player like the archos that uses Linux as its core?

...except this is't just about us, it's about letting people use the product they bought. Not only that, but it lets new users (who have not necessarily had any previous knowledge of what's acceptable and what isn't in the software world) actually have the ability to think of Linux as a viable option.

Spike-X
September 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I agree that they made the wrong decision, but I was just saying that they weren't blocking third-party programs just to be anti-Linux.

No, they're doing it to be anti-customer in general.

anemptygun
September 17th, 2007, 11:56 PM
totally non-heinous dude!

hatstand
November 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
not so pwned.

Neither amarok nor rythmbox have been updated. For most users, this means they still can't use their ipods.

for me, well, I leant my ipod to my mate with a mac. He failed to turn off auto synch. Now I have an hfsplus filesystem ipod that I cannot touch. Thanks, mate.

Nano Geek
November 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry to bring this up again, but has anyone confirmed that the new iPods work on Linux? I'm thinking about buying one soon but I can't find a definite answer.

Thanks

ShanghaiTeej
November 16th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I just bought one a couple days ago and couldn't find a really great tutorial on how to make the iPod Classic work with linux. The software is out there (ligpod 0.6.0), but it hasn't been adopted by Amarok, Exaile, Rhythmbox and etc... yet. I know there is a Yamipod beta that is supposed to work with the iPod Classic, but I couldn't get it to work.

So far, I've just used my friends computer. I have a portable hard drive that I hooked up and just transfered my songs straight from my hard drive to my iPod using iTunes. It shouldn't be long until one of the players adds libgpod 0.6.0. They cracked it in the middle of Sept., soooo...should be soon...?

Hope that answers your question.

Nano Geek
November 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I just bought one a couple days ago and couldn't find a really great tutorial on how to make the iPod Classic work with linux. The software is out there (ligpod 0.6.0), but it hasn't been adopted by Amarok, Exaile, Rhythmbox and etc... yet. I know there is a Yamipod beta that is supposed to work with the iPod Classic, but I couldn't get it to work.

So far, I've just used my friends computer. I have a portable hard drive that I hooked up and just transfered my songs straight from my hard drive to my iPod using iTunes. It shouldn't be long until one of the players adds libgpod 0.6.0. They cracked it in the middle of Sept., soooo...should be soon...?

Hope that answers your question.Yea, it looks like it can be done, but the big guys haven't incorporated it yet.
Thanks for the info.

kanem
November 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM
The software is out there (ligpod 0.6.0), but it hasn't been adopted by Amarok, Exaile, Rhythmbox and etc... yet.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we have to wait for the actual music players to implement it. When it comes to managing the ipod they are just graphical front ends for libgpod and their interface to libgpod hasn't changed AFAIK. So if you update libgpod the rest should just work. But I don't have a new ipod to test this with.

Nano Geek
November 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think we have to wait for the actual music players to implement it. When it comes to managing the ipod they are just graphical front ends for libgpod and their interface to libgpod hasn't changed AFAIK. So if you update libgpod the rest should just work. But I don't have a new ipod to test this with.That's what I was thinking to. If I do get one, I'll tell you how it works out.
I might get one tomorrow, but we'll see.

Frak
November 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yea, it looks like it can be done, but the big guys haven't incorporated it yet.
Thanks for the info.
Due to the OSS community not wanting to incorporate different way to get into a closed platform, packagers will most likely have to integrate it, not the main devs.

Atreus12
November 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM

QFT

Ipod? I'll pass.

stimpack
November 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Well I am interested in getting this working, however I am pretty unhappy with what Apple did and will buy something else next time.

ShanghaiTeej
November 17th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Yes, please post the installation. I've been running Ubuntu for almost 3 years, but still suck at the command line.

I tried to intsall libgpod 0.6.0, but got only as far as the "make" section of the installation Downloading build-essentials from synaptic didn't help either.

Nano Geek
November 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM
OK, here's what I found out.

I compiled the latest libgpod, and, after a few extra steps described in the README, was able to put songs on my iPod. But unfortunately that's all I could do. I could not find a easy way to put videos on, and gpixpod looks like it's dead (it hasn't had a new release since last summer) and it won't work with my new nano.

So I hate to say this, but for now I'm using iTunes to move music and videos to my iPod. :(