PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent

ExSuSEusr
September 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
What's the best bittorrent for Ubuntu?

Kingsley
September 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I really like Azureus. Deluge is pretty decent too.

amazingtaters
September 16th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I like KTorrent, or Deluge, though there are a number of private trackers that don't allow Deluge.

blithen
September 16th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I use deluge, only 'cause I get my torrent from demonoid.

ExSuSEusr
September 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Slow rates?

One of the files I am downloading says "1d10h" to finish... this is common for large files (3gigs or better)?

I am new to the bittorrent area.

Polygon
September 16th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I like KTorrent, or Deluge, though there are a number of private trackers that don't allow Deluge.

im sure the deluge developers would like to know which private trackers dont allow deluge so they can contact them and maybe figure out why and fix that in a future version.... mind posting them here?

CarpKing
September 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I use Deluge. I haven't tried a recent Azureus, but I like Deluge a lot more than the one I have.

wana10
September 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
qtorrent, grab it from the repos, all configuration has to be manually done in .py files but it works well and is very light.

ExSuSEusr
September 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
But, do large (huge) files typically take DAYS to download?

By large I mean like 2+ gigs...

Acglaphotis
September 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Ktorrent!

LookTJ
September 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM
deluge for gui, rtorrent for cli

LookTJ
September 16th, 2007, 11:43 PM
But, do large (huge) files typically take DAYS to download?

By large I mean like 2+ gigs...
Depends on your internet plan

ExSuSEusr
September 16th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Comcast

I get nice transfer rates in Frostwire.... just wondering if it's *typical* for such slow speeds over bittorrent.

I am new to using it, so I don't know what a good speed is.

LookTJ
September 16th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Comcast

I get nice transfer rates in Frostwire.... just wondering if it's *typical* for such slow speeds over bittorrent.

I am new to using it, so I don't know what a good speed is.
it's ok...only problem is: you won't be able to seed

Edit: also depends on how many seeders there are for that specific torrent

mthei
September 17th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Deluge is alright, but it still has issues. When I first tried it out and tried to seed some of the things I was already seeding with Ktorrent, it would corrupt the data and I wouldn't be able to seed. That was of course taken care of, but the last two releases would work for a day and then refuse to load after that. Ktorrent is still by far the best bittorrent client I've tried for Linux, but if you're not running KDE and don't want to have to load any extra libraries for a bittorrent client, try Deluge. Although even with all the extra KDE libraries, Ktorrent still remains pretty light on memory.
Currently I'm running uTorrent through Wine, though.

ExSuSEusr
September 17th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Ok, I must not have Azureus configured right.... I've gotten several files from isoHunt and I can't get a single one to download faster than a few K per second.

Meanwhile, I am downloading files from Frostwire at 500K a second.

Happy_Man
September 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Are you behind a router? If you are, then you will have to load the UPnP plugin in Azureus' settings.

Of course, it could just be that the torrent isn't very healthy....

AndyCooll
September 17th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Ok, I must not have Azureus configured right.... I've gotten several files from isoHunt and I can't get a single one to download faster than a few K per second.

Meanwhile, I am downloading files from Frostwire at 500K a second.

As mentioned, it depends on the popularity of file you're trying to download as to how quick it is to download. If there are lots of seeds then it can be quite quick. Obviously though, a 3gb file is likely to take awhile.

As for the best BitTorrent client ...well there isn't one, it's all a matter of preference. As with most Linux apps there's usually a choice, and the one you think best I might totally disagree with. Doesn't mean your wrong and my choice is better ...it's simply a matter of preference.

My preferred BitTorrent client is Azureus. I've tried Deluge and KTorrent but I like this one best. As you can see from this thread, some folk agree with me while others have come to a different choice. That's the beauty of Linux ...choice.

:cool:

ExSuSEusr
September 17th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Well, I'm not seeing the beauty I have gotten used too!

After installing Azureus - now Frostwire wont even start. Click on the icon and nothing... no error message, just nothing...

/sigh

pain of salvation
September 17th, 2007, 03:23 AM
On KDE I use ktorrent, on Openbox, transmission.

reacocard
September 17th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Deluge. SImple and powerful, and also one of the fastest in terms of development. I didn't update for a month and found I was 3 revs out of date!

sloggerkhan
September 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I like deluge. It improves pretty quickly and performs well.

zachtib
September 17th, 2007, 04:10 AM
im sure the deluge developers would like to know which private trackers dont allow deluge so they can contact them and maybe figure out why and fix that in a future version.... mind posting them here?

yes

chameleonkid
September 17th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Call me crazy but utorrent through wine. Tried azureus, ktorrent and bittornado(probably not spelled right) but for some reason none of these had a fraction of the speed of utorrent.

Frak
September 17th, 2007, 04:15 AM
depends, but I suggest Deluge, Azureus, or uTorrent under Wine.