PDA

View Full Version : Players of wind instruments?

ThinkBuntu
September 16th, 2007, 08:57 PM
So who here plays wind instruments? Which ones? How good are you, how many years, etc.? Just curious.

Myself:

Clarinet - 4 years
Bassoon - 3 years
Sousaphone/Tuba - 1 year

I'm learning how to play an Indonesian flute now. Very tough, so I have respect for you flute players!

I once tried piano, and I just couldn't get into it. It felt so mechanical to play an instrument that I don't put my breath into.

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM
So who here plays wind instruments? Which ones? How good are you, how many years, etc.? Just curious.

Myself:
Clarinet - 4 years
Bassoon - 3 years
Sousaphone/Tuba - 1 yearI'm learning how to play an Indonesian flute now. Very tough, so I have respect for you flute players!

I once tried piano, and I just couldn't get into it. It felt so mechanical to play an instrument that I don't put my breath into.

I have a Recorder that I bought about 3 years ago to learn how to read music but I have not played it much or learned to read music.

When I was in Boulder, Colorado this Summer I saw/heard the most fascinating wind instrument ever: The Didgeridoo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didgeridoo)

This is by far the most haunting, spiritually beautiful wind instrument I have ever heard.

Outside of that the only instruments I have played are the Cello and the West African Drums

below is a picture of Gabrielle Reilly playing the Didgeridoo

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43634&d=1189975930

Nekiruhs
September 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Trumpet - 7 years.

ThinkBuntu
September 16th, 2007, 10:03 PM
If playing that instrument can earn me some time with her, I'll gladly become a virtuoso...

Here's what's giving me hell right now. Picked it up for $17 at a local reggae store:

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Doing some research into the Didgeridoo's I find that I would rather buy and play a Yidaki:

While Yol\u yidaki are of course didjeridus, they are usually very different in terms of construction and sound. They are usually naturally more conical than didjeridus you will find elsewhere in Australia, with small mouthpieces that can be played with little or no beeswax. They are not always "perfect" on the outside, but the best yidaki have the most perfect natural bores. To Yol\u, it is the inside that matters, not the outside. As we have seen, there are of course very specific types of yidaki.
Many academics and didjeridu enthusiasts find it useful to make a distinction between the yidaki, an instrument made from local materials by Yol\u people from northeast Arnhem Land, and any other didjeridu. Stressing this difference helps to educate the public and didjeridu buyers. It is good to recognize that there are differences between authentic Yol\u instruments and other didjeridus (including authentic Aboriginal-made didjeridus from other regions).
Yol\u agree with this idea as it respects the cultural identity of the yidaki and sets it apart in the marketplace. Yol\u quickly see and sense the difference.http://www.yirrkala.com/yidaki/dhawu/31samething.html

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Trumpet 4 years. Although that's not a wind instrument.

tcpip4lyfe
September 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I played trumpet as well for 10 years. Brass, not wind, but close enough.

Nekiruhs
September 16th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I could have sworn that brass was a subsection of wind.I though it was:

Wind:
Woodwinds:
Clarinet, Sax, Etc
Brass:
Trumpet, Baritone, Etc
Percussion:
Board:
Marimba, Xylophone, Etc
Drum:
Snare, Bass, Etc

I know you could break it down further, but thats how I thought it broke down at the basics.

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 10:36 PM
here is some further reading of interest:

Who are the Yolngu and what is a ‘yirdaki’? (http://www.manikay.com/didjeridu/authen.shtml)

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I could have sworn that brass was a subsection of wind.

Not woodwinds.

mocoloco
September 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Saxophone, or as Homer Simpson put it "sax-o-mo-phone". Alto sax to be precise. Played for six years but haven't touched it in probably 8. I still play piano.

Nekiruhs
September 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Not woodwinds.
Not all winds are woodwinds, but all woodwinds are winds.

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Here is the Yirdaki in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOQRNPA9YEg

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Here is the Yirdaki in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOQRNPA9YEg

Here's an even better one, much deeper, simply awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBI_OYTsGwg

and another:
even deeper!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIEy1EP1ac

more awesome! Yirdaki!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIEy1EP1ac

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM
this probably my favorite yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9Dpk4qiP4

ThinkBuntu
September 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
A wind instrument is anything you put air through. I generally only consider instruments you breathe through to be winds, but something like the Pipe Organ could be considered a wind.

A trumpet is a wind though, for those who thought otherwise.

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
A wind instrument is anything you put air through. I generally only consider instruments you breathe through to be winds, but something like the Pipe Organ could be considered a wind.

A trumpet is a wind though, for those who thought otherwise.

Ah yes, I think that clears some stuff up. So yeah, I have played the trumpet for 4 years. And I was in my school's marching band.

ThinkBuntu
September 16th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I had to play marching band to be in the top symphony, which is exactly why (a) I have some experience on the Sousaphone, and (b) I quit band following my sophomore year. Our marching band was damn good too, tops in the state every year. I just hated doing it. I'm a musician, not an infantryman.

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM
I had to play marching band to be in the top symphony, which is exactly why (a) I have some experience on the Sousaphone, and (b) I quit band following my sophomore year. Our marching band was damn good too, tops in the state every year. I just hated doing it. I'm a musician, not an infantryman.

Lol. I thought it was rather fun. But everyone has different tastes.;)

Zecona
September 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I played the clarinet for around, 8 years through school (middle through high)
and all four years in high school I did marching band
haven't been played recently though, I really need to get it repaired...

Kingsley
September 16th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I played the recorder in elementary school.

ThinkBuntu
September 16th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I played the clarinet for around, 8 years through school (middle through high)
and all four years in high school I did marching band
haven't been played recently though, I really need to get it repaired...
What kind? Grenadilla?

Zecona
September 16th, 2007, 11:38 PM
What kind? Grenadilla?
not sure, (don't have it with me), I'm thinking plastic, but that might just be the head piece, it could be though.

why you ask?

-grubby
September 17th, 2007, 12:01 AM
flute:3 years

ThinkBuntu
September 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM
not sure, (don't have it with me), I'm thinking plastic, but that might just be the head piece, it could be though.

why you ask?
Just curious if you have a nice one like a Bundy, or a rubber one, or something else. I used to play a plastic Selmer and I had no problem keepin 1st chair over the rich kids, so the instrument material doesn't matter so much unless the player's great. I would love to play a rosewood clarinet though...

ThinkBuntu
September 17th, 2007, 12:09 AM
flute:3 years
Any tips? I'm just getting light-headed trying to get some consistent sound out of the flute I took a picture of for an above post.

XrRydr
September 17th, 2007, 12:57 AM
trumpet-7 years (middle/high school including marching band)

init1
September 17th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Clarinet- 2 Years. I was second chair. Could have been first if I wanted to. Also could have continued, but I didn't like doing so much work.

Dr Small
September 17th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I play the harmonica, and piano.

mocoloco
September 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Actually I play the nose whistle as well, that's a wind instrument if I've ever seen one. Apparently also called a humanatone (http://www.mouthmusic.com/humanato.htm).

The Soundophiliac
September 17th, 2007, 05:58 PM
I've played the clarinet for about 8 years. Now playing in a university.

Practicing just now. Auditions coming up.

-grubby
October 12th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Any tips? I'm just getting light-headed trying to get some consistent sound out of the flute I took a picture of for an above post.
it took me about a month to make any decent sound with the flute

ThinkBuntu
October 12th, 2007, 02:32 AM
it took me about a month to make any decent sound with the flute
I took it into a music store and a professional flutist gave it a try. Diagnosis: simply not made right for tolerable acoustics, clearly made for decoration (sad face).

Frak
October 12th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Remember to "Roll" your bottom Lip to produce a nice horizontal break stream.

Flute: 8 Years

aninaiian
October 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Let's see I've played clarinets (Bb soprano, Eb alto, and Bb bass) for about 8 years.

I also enjoy playing around with my renaissance style recorder (really nice low register) and my tiny tin whistle in G with which I enjoy annoying others (I picked this when I was in Australia for a music festival).

-grubby
October 12th, 2007, 02:41 AM
I took it into a music store and a professional flutist gave it a try. Diagnosis: simply not made right for tolerable acoustics, clearly made for decoration (sad face).

that sucks.:(

IgnacioMiller
October 12th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Trumpet/Cornet, 11 years.
French Horn, 6 years.
Tuba, 5 years.

kostkon
October 12th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I play the keyboard. I know the electronic keyboard is not a wind instrument, but most of the old church keyboards can be considered to be. Thus, you can say, I can play a wind instrument. :lolflag:

Studied 5 years.

amadeus266
October 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I finally get a chance to blow everyone away!!!! LOL I work in a musical instrument repair shop so I guess it isn't fair to the rest of you though.

Flute - 26 years
Sax (all) - 20 years
Clarinet - 9 years
Trumpet - 9 years - Brasswind, so technically a wind instrument
Baritone - 9 years
Tuba - 9 years
French Horn - 8 years
Bassoon - 4 years
Oboe - 5 years
Piccolo - 22 years
Marimba - 3 years - I know, percussion
Bass guitar - 1 year - again, percussion
Violin - 7 years:-({|=
Cello - 5 years
Alto and Bass Flute - 6 years
English Horn - 5 months
Piano and Keyboards - 20 years

I needed to learn to play these instruments fairly fluently due to the fact that I must know how they work and how they are supposed to sound. I am the head repair tech for a very small but extremely busy shop. I've been doing this for the last 10 years. (I am also the network administrator in charge of 3 servers and fifteen workstations at 3 separate locations tied via WAN. I have the only workstation currently running Ubuntu.):guitar:

Can anyone top this list?\\:D/

Frak
October 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I finally get a chance to blow everyone away!!!! LOL I work in a musical instrument repair shop so I guess it isn't fair to the rest of you though.

Flute - 26 years
Sax (all) - 20 years
Clarinet - 9 years
Trumpet - 9 years - Brasswind, so technically a wind instrument
Baritone - 9 years
Tuba - 9 years
French Horn - 8 years
Bassoon - 4 years
Oboe - 5 years
Piccolo - 22 years
Marimba - 3 years - I know, percussion
Bass guitar - 1 year - again, percussion
Violin - 7 years:-({|=
Cello - 5 years
Alto and Bass Flute - 6 years
English Horn - 5 months
Piano and Keyboards - 20 years

I needed to learn to play these instruments fairly fluently due to the fact that I must know how they work and how they are supposed to sound. I am the head repair tech for a very small but extremely busy shop. I've been doing this for the last 10 years. (I am also the network administrator in charge of 3 servers and fifteen workstations at 3 separate locations tied via WAN. I have the only workstation currently running Ubuntu.):guitar:

Can anyone top this list?\\:D/
No Fluglehorn :(

Luke Davis
October 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Sorry can't top your list. But my two cents

Clarinet B flat for 6 years. I really love it. Just starting to learn the Nielsen Concerto.

amadeus266
October 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
No Fluglehorn :(

You're right. I did forget Flugel Horn. But if you can play a trumpet you can play a Flugel.:lolflag:

skwishybug
October 12th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Saxophone, 7 years

3.5 Alto
3.5 Tennor
1.5 Barritone (intermixed among the above)

happy-and-lost
October 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
My best mate plays recorder at Grade 8 (which is as high as you can go with the Royal School of Music). She always gets laughed at for playing it, though.

Linuturk
October 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
My fiance plays the clarinet, though she doesn't frequent the forums.

JSorrell
October 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Bassoon - 8 years
Saxophone - 7 years

Although I get to play percussion in my university's next concert (I've played percussion for 6 years now, too), I play bassoon mostly, in wind symphony and chamber orchestra ensembles. I just stopped playing saxophone in various jazz ensembles, trading it for piano playing and, more importantly, piano composition.

Tiekyl
October 13th, 2007, 07:04 AM
French horn- 9 years

Theres a lot of clarinets here...

tnseditor
October 13th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I started out in the fifth grade playing the flute-o-phone (everyone in our band did to learn music basics) and then towards the end of fifth grade I started on the clarinet. I played clarinet until the eighth grade. In the eighth grade my band director wanted to know if I was interested in playing the tuba and sousaphone. I agreed to playing and my first "public performance" was with the high school band a month later. It was the night the eighth grade got to play with the high schoolers! :) I continued to play through my high school years.

My brother started out on trumpet and has recently "converted" to sousaphone and tuba this year, his ninth grade year. :guitar:

-grubby
October 13th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I started out in the fifth grade playing the flute-o-phone (everyone in our band did to learn music basics) and then towards the end of fifth grade I started on the clarinet. I played clarinet until the eighth grade. In the eighth grade my band director wanted to know if I was interested in playing the tuba and sousaphone. I agreed to playing and my first "public performance" was with the high school band a month later. It was the night the eighth grade got to play with the high schoolers! :) I continued to play through my high school years.

My brother started out on trumpet and has recently "converted" to sousaphone and tuba this year, his ninth grade year. :guitar:

what the heck is a flute-o-phone?

Frak
October 13th, 2007, 08:00 PM
what the heck is a flute-o-phone?
Its like a flute mixed with a clarinet thats insanely cheap (usually made out of plastic) that a 5 year old could play.

tnseditor
October 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
It's kinda similar to a recorder. I'll try to find a picture.

tnseditor
October 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Here's a picture. http://www.musixspa.com/images/kids/flutophone.jpg

fluteflute
October 14th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I've been playing flute for five years and piccolo for about two.

christhemonkey
October 14th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Horn for 6 years. Currently doing a degree in it.

ThinkBuntu
October 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Horn for 6 years. Currently doing a degree in it.
A degree in Horn? You're my hero.

christhemonkey
October 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Haha, thanks.

Well i guess its not really a degree in horn, its a degree in music performance, and I play the horn.
Hopefully in 4 years time I'll come out ready to go into the professional horn playing world.

On a side note, have you seen this?!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRkCfsiKlY

coder_
October 14th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Actually, it is a wind instrument. Just not "woodwind."

But, to get back on topic:
Wind:
Trumpet - 6 years

Non-wind:
Piano - 3 years
Guitar - 1.5 years

I'm also planning on duel majoring in Music and Computer Science.

Frak
October 14th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Haha, thanks.

Well i guess its not really a degree in horn, its a degree in music performance, and I play the horn.
Hopefully in 4 years time I'll come out ready to go into the professional horn playing world.

On a side note, have you seen this?!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRkCfsiKlY

w00t, my hero =D>
I think he actually flutter tongued the beginning, which is extraordinary for a Horn player.

christhemonkey
October 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Naah he was just lip trilling up a chromatic scale. (just!)

Got a master class with David Pyatt tomorrow. Cant wait!