PDA

View Full Version : Wine - no sound in Counter Strike Source

danmurf
September 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Hi

I've just set installed Counter Strike Source through Wine - so far everything seems to be running well, except I have no sound :(. I'm still new to Ubuntu and Linux in general so maybe this is a really obvious fix, but it looks like Steam is grabbing the sound so nothing else can use it, even Counter Strike. I found this out because I can't play MP3s once Steam is launched - it says the sound card is busy :confused:

Is there any fix for this, or any way to allow more than one application to use the sound card at once?

Many thanks

splintercellguy
September 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM
You can set the audio driver in winecfg to ALSA (may lag the game) or EsounD (again, may be slow).

daInvincibleGama
January 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I'm having the same problem. At some point after I start up steam, sound disappears entirely from my Linux environment and Counter-Strike.

The other guides say that the ALSA driver will crash the game, but I'm going to try it anyway.

raafaell
February 14th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I've got the same problem, the game starts normally, but the sound gets quiet, any suggestion?

blackdragon1157
February 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Fixes in a different thread. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=556795) You basically have to have something lock the device BEFORE you launch steam.