PDA

View Full Version : Why the absence of multimedia codecs on Ubuntu internationally?

Lozz
September 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Whilst with Feisty getting the correct codecs in Ubuntu has become easier, there are still many areas that are more difficult than they need to be. One good example is playing DVDs, which I myself had problems with when I first started using Ubuntu. Whilst all multimedia problems are entirely solvable they are enough to deter new users when compared to the multimedia capability Windows possesses out of the box.

Obviously in the US Linux is legally unable to include many codecs as they patented but to my knowledge this is not the case in the rest of the world (if there is another country like this please prove me wrong). So why not distribute Ubuntu with all the multimedia codecs & then simply produce a second disc image for use inside the US? I'm sure there is a very good reason why no Linux distribution does this but I can't for the life of me work it out. Any ideas?

jrusso2
September 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I think this has to do with Mark Shuttleworths Free Software adherences then anything.

If you desire the codecs then Linux Mint is perfect for you.

Lozz
September 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I think this has to do with Mark Shuttleworths Free Software adherences then anything.

If you desire the codecs then Linux Mint is perfect for you.

Yeah I have heard of it, I didn't realise it had codecs pre-installed though. To be honest I'm fine just picking all the codecs from synaptic when I install Ubuntu on a machine. My only concern is the effect having to do this has on new users, as there are many codecs (& encoders) that aren't available through the easy install.

Luinar
September 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Yes, it may be a slight deterrence to new users, but IMHO if they are frightened away due to having to add the codecs themselves (and there is good documentation available detailing how to do so) then perhaps Linux isn't for them, since it does require the odd bit of tinkering here and there.

And yeah, even if it were legal to do so in all countries, they still wouldn't be included by default because they are not free software, thus going against Ubuntu's philosophy.