PDA

View Full Version : why is Aptana IDE so slow?

loell
September 16th, 2007, 01:31 PM
i was playing with Eclipse / Aptana IDE , just wondering why it is so slow, do web developers really used this tool?

ola
September 16th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Well Eclipse is a HUGE tool. For me it's usable even though it sometimes feels a bit slow (at least when starting it).

I use it when I make Java/JSP sites since it has some built in features (for example the debugger) I like but for minor projects I tend to use another tool instead.

maddog39
September 16th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Im a PHP developer, and frankly, I HATE Eclipse and other hugely bloated IDE's like it. For web development, use something like bluefish or geany.

kknd
September 16th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Im a PHP developer, and frankly, I HATE Eclipse and other hugely bloated IDE's like it. For web development, use something like bluefish or geany.

I agree with you. Bluefish rocks. I don't feel good using Eclipse at all.

loell
September 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM
sometimes open source project hype , really makes me sad

touting Eclipse/ Aptana as a very good alternative for web development, though in truth it is slower than netbeans :(

Keymone
September 17th, 2007, 07:21 AM
when it comes to code hints eclipse is definitely faster. i use Eclipse for everything, i just run it and do not shutdown until i finish everything i want to do..

and Aptana is very good tool for web-development. i was not very happy about aptana got over radrails project because it was quite dead for a long time but now i can see some movement there so maybe everything is not so bad :)

P.S. ofcourse everything is about your computer specs. you can use vi and you will never have performance issues but i do need some more than code highlight in bluefish. so i just bought more RAM and more Ghz and i am happy Eclipse user.

loell
September 17th, 2007, 09:45 AM
doesn't that defeat the purpose, adding 2 gig of ram just to achieve normal speed code highlighting and code hinting?

i'm curious if there are other unknown Open Web IDE's out there.

Keymone
September 17th, 2007, 09:39 PM
it's about how comfortable do you feel inside of your IDE.. i feel comfortable with Eclipse because i do not have to *wait* untill the list of suggestions will appear. and since i am using Eclipse with Aptana plugin mostly for Ruby / HTML / CSS / Javascript it looks like Netbeans are far behind. At lease code hints are useless.. you have to type everything anyway.

skeeterbug
September 17th, 2007, 11:13 PM
The only thing that is slow for me is the initial load time (in both Windows and Ubuntu). Once loaded it runs fine. I use Eclipse for Python, Perl, and Rails development. Remember that Eclipse runs on Java, so initial load time will always be somewhat slow. The plugin system is really nice too.

loell
September 18th, 2007, 12:56 AM
i have no problem with eclipse load time, this problem is specific to aptana IDE , when I type its lagging, this is not a unique case either , as other posters express the general slowness of eclipse , further googling reveals that this problem do occur in windows and linux aptana IDE.