PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have this problem?

blithen
September 16th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I keep having a problem with downloading .iso's, they are ALWAYS corrupt.
Now matter how many times I download them. I try to run them in VBox, and there is always something wrong with 'em.
Does anyone else have this problem?

slimdog360
September 16th, 2007, 03:15 AM
try using a download manager, if you arnt already

Mud.Knee.Havoc
September 16th, 2007, 03:28 AM
It's good advice to use a download manager. Most, if not all, have resume functions that are very handy. And I've used a couple that will let you compare md5sums right through the gui (although I still find it so much easier to do it on the command line).

Out of curiosity, how are you trying to download them now, though? If you're just downloading through a browser, which one are you using?

starcraft.man
September 16th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Or download it as a torrent, they are very reliable in my experience with downloads of distros/large files. You can do a data check at the end to ensure it's a clean download.

jimrz
September 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Or download it as a torrent, they are very reliable in my experience with downloads of distros/large files. You can do a data check at the end to ensure it's a clean download.

definitely +1 ... the torrent client runs hash checks as part of it's process and re-does any that do not pass so it is very unlikely that you will get a corrupt download

karellen
September 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
as the one before stated, download .torrent-s. it saves bandwidth and it's more reliable

userundefine
September 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
If you're using torrents and still getting corrupt downloads, you have errors on your hard drive (or a failing disk).

Polygon
September 16th, 2007, 07:50 AM
If you're using torrents and still getting corrupt downloads, you have errors on your hard drive (or a failing disk).

not always. Ive read about if your torrent program is trying to download a torrent and it just keeps saying every piece it downloads is corrupt (by the number of failed hash checks) then it could be something with your net connection or router that is mangling the packets.

userundefine
September 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM
That's possible but then it wouldn't be a completed download, it'd be a torrent that hadn't finished and hence not really downloaded/possible to burn.