PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting versus dual disks

Mark_in_Hollywood
September 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I propose to standardize the meaning of

DUAL BOOTING

It should be from one physical hard disk drive.

the other proposal is to use the term

DUAL DRIVES

as a way to keep sensible separate threads and posts that have only served no purpose.

I realize that it won't be easy, but if we don't start now, it can't get better.

I used multiple search terms to try to find a solution to my problem and using the word "dual" has invariably been unhelpful. I'm not saying I don't retrieve help, just not what I'm looking for.

If the name Ubuntu can be a standard, so can Dual Boot or dual drive.

mocoloco
September 16th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I disagree. Dual boot refers to having two operating systems into which to boot. It doesn't matter if you have one drive or six, if you're booting two OS's off of them it's still dual-boot.
Maybe appending the number of drives could work. "I have a dual-boot, single drive setup". "Single-boot, dual drives, my /home is on the second drive." Ya know?

fwojciec
September 16th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I disagree. Dual boot refers to having two operating systems into which to boot. It doesn't matter if you have one drive or six, if you're booting two OS's off of them it's still dual-boot.
Maybe appending the number of drives could work. "I have a dual-boot, single drive setup". "Single-boot, dual drives, my /home is on the second drive." Ya know?

ditto. I've never heard/read about people dual-driving their systems ;)

southernman
September 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM
ditto. I've never heard/read about people dual-driving their systems ;)
I've heard, read about, and seen people that go both ways... is that the same thing? :p