PDA

View Full Version : The fix for all Evolution issues

hiloguy
September 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I'm a newbie. Just got up and running on my linux-only laptop and I love it. My only bummer was when I first opened Evolution. As another Windows refugee, I was surprised/dismayed by what I saw. But I configured Evolution and worked with it for a week or so, disliking it all the time. Then I discovered Mozilla Thunderbird, which was only a few Synaptic clicks away from being a reality.

Thunderbird is very much like Eudora, which I love and have been using on my other boxes forever. It's user-friendly, very intuitive and a powerful application.

Anyway, if you, too, aren't especially pleased with Evolution, give T'bird a try!

rfruth
September 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Wish Tbird was the default & Evolution was in the repos where it belongs :)

ynnhoj
September 15th, 2007, 09:55 PM
i prefer claws mail (http://www.claws-mail.org/) to thunderbird (i believe the package in ubuntu is "sylpheed-claws"). you might wanna give it a try too..

syxbit
September 16th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Wish Tbird was the default & Evolution was in the repos where it belongs :)

couldn't agree more
i've read a few articles online that talk about ubuntu becoming bloated.
it should either have small, efficient apps, or at least let you choose what apps you want upon install

freesitebuilder
September 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Does Thunderbird filter incoming mail? I really miss TB after switching from XP about six months ago, but I tried it about three months ago and it won't filter incoming messages to different boxes. I asked on the MozillaZine forums, and it appears that the Linux version doesn't filter.

Evolution is locking up two or three times daily, so I'm looking for something else. Any of you TB users have problems filtering mail on Feisty?

TIA

LowSky
September 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM
if mozilla would combine T'bird with Songbird, it could replace Outlook and Evolution all together

reckless2k2
September 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
evolutions tie to ubuntu has more to do with evolutions tie to GNOME. i am not an evolution fan but there is good plugin support for businesses. if you are a regular user, thunderbird is the way to go. and yes filters are great in thunderbird and you can enable spam filtering as well by picking spam assassin.

install spam assassin and click that option in the menu under filtering. it's great. and the extensions you can add are great too.