PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu getting weighed down?

slimdog360
September 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Well with it now official that gutsy will come with compiz activated by default does think that Ubuntu is getting a bit on the bloated side. After all, compiz is something, while looking nice, is not exactly necessary.

luisromangz
September 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I think that having Compiz by default is the way to go. If a linux distribution wants to get momentum and attract non-techie people, then that distro has not only to work better than the alternatives (Windows, OsX), which already does, but it has also to look better.

As long as you can deactivate it with much hassle, it should be enabled by default so the Microsoft used, Joe Average guy doesn't whine about having to think to have a nice looking desktop.

hessiess
September 15th, 2007, 05:57 PM
all eyecandy is a waste of resorses!

Zdravko
September 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Yepp! My computer won't be able to handle that fancy stuff. Now I insist that Cannonical buys me a computer, that is capable of running Ubuntu!:mad:

SunnyRabbiera
September 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
well even though compiz is cool and all i dont like it being switched on by default, sure metacity isnt a masterpiece in eye candy terms but this is sort of vista like in attitude, all flash no substance.
I think there should be an option for those with lower end computers for a version of gutsy without compiz enabled by default

Kingsley
September 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
well even though compiz is cool and all i dont like it being switched on by default, sure metacity isnt a masterpiece in eye candy terms but this is sort of vista like in attitude, all flash no substance.
I think there should be an option for those with lower end computers for a version of gutsy without compiz enabled by default
If your computer can't handle Compiz, Metacity will be loaded by default.

n3tfury
September 15th, 2007, 06:12 PM
like Kingsley said, if it won't run, it won't bother. for those that have the extra umph, and are new to the world of Linux, the eye candy might be enough to make them install it. from there, they just might grow to love Ubuntu. i say it's a good move.

hellmet
September 15th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I support the move too. We'll then have Ubuntu Basic and Ubuntu Premium.

SunnyRabbiera
September 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I support the move too. We'll then have Ubuntu Basic and Ubuntu Premium.

isn't this the windows way of thinking though?
I mean come on Vista is going to have like six versions by the time we are done, instead of having this kind of branching i think there should be just one version but let the user enable compiz or not... just have an icon or something on the panel that switches compiz on or off, its easy to do.

Anthem
September 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Can't speak for everyone, but Compiz actually makes my desktop feel faster, not slower.

SunnyRabbiera
September 15th, 2007, 08:43 PM
well compiz and beryl are pretty slim, but still on older computers it might be a bad move, I know there are quite a few ubuntu users here who have older processors and stuff.

smartboyathome
September 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM
isn't this the windows way of thinking though?
I mean come on Vista is going to have like six versions by the time we are done, instead of having this kind of branching i think there should be just one version but let the user enable compiz or not... just have an icon or something on the panel that switches compiz on or off, its easy to do.

I think that it is actually easier for people running Ubuntu on an older computer to switch Compiz off than for newer people to turn it on. Also, there IS Xubuntu to fill the void for older computers. Especially as of Gutsy, it will make a difference in how fast Ubuntu goes.

SunnyRabbiera
September 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM
yeh but XFCE to me still needs work here and there before i think its anywhere near gnome is for customization and such

DjBones
September 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
well, compared to windows/osX nearly all linux's are light weight,
but if were comparing it to xfce/openbox/WM and other distro's that are specifically made to be lean then i think ubuntu is getting a little heavy.. although its probably not helping that ubuntu uses gnome which is the heaviest of all the environments.

n3tfury
September 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
well compiz and beryl are pretty slim, but still on older computers it might be a bad move, I know there are quite a few ubuntu users here who have older processors and stuff.

how is it a bad move if it doesn't default on.

mthei
September 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM
While I probably won't use it, how hard is it to turn it off? System > Preferences > Desktop Effects > Disable. Compiz came preinstalled with Feisty, didn't it, but not enabled. As long as we're able to remove what we don't need, I don't find it to be too big a deal.
However, it would be nice to have a menu during installation where the user can select what he or she wants to have installed.

matthewdhandley
September 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I think that improved support for CF and other eyecandy will be a big help to spreading Ubuntu, so the inclusion of CF is a great idea in my eyes. The biggest thing that impressed me and convinced me to switch to Ubuntu, and what impresses a lot of Windows/Mac users is the cool eyecandy in CF. Twice now I have made a convert to Ubuntu, installed it on their computers, only to look at the disappointment on their face when I tell them "Actually, Beryl/CF doesn't come with Ubuntu by default, and it might not even run on your computer." Any step toward improving CF support and making it integrated with Ubuntu is a good idea.

Sunflower1970
September 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I was worried about whether it would screw up an older computer if it was turned on by default, but since it will then use Metacity if the computer can't handle it, then that's perfectly fine with me. Have it on by default :)

I think that improved support for CF and other eyecandy will be a big help to spreading Ubuntu, so the inclusion of CF is a great idea in my eyes. The biggest thing that impressed me and convinced me to switch to Ubuntu, and what impresses a lot of Windows/Mac users is the cool eyecandy in CF. Twice now I have made a convert to Ubuntu, installed it on their computers, only to look at the disappointment on their face when I tell them "Actually, Beryl/CF doesn't come with Ubuntu by default, and it might not even run on your computer." Any step toward improving CF support and making it integrated with Ubuntu is a good idea.

This is true. I've brought my laptop with Ubuntu/CF on it and many people who have seen it are highly impressed and ask questions about Ubuntu and how can they go about getting it. Eyecandy, although not needed, does help 'sell' products.

FuturePilot
September 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM
The only thing I see taking up unnecessary resources is trackerd. I have no use for it and I'm sure other people don't either. And it's enabled by default which isn't good. Otherwise I think it's fine.

BuffaloX
September 15th, 2007, 11:42 PM
What is bloat exactly?
To me bloated is when options are useless, ( only good for marketing ) or programs are too big because of bad programming, or lousy formats for media..

Ubuntu comes with more programs and options than Windows, still it uses less than half the Memory, CPU resources, and HD space.

Ubuntu has much preinstalled, but still requires relatively few resources.
If you want lean and mean, Xubuntu would be your choice.

HarshReality
September 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Dont get me wrong I love Ubuntu compared to other distros that Ive tried but one thing I find lacking (all distros lack one thing or another that another has). I was rather fond of the installer for old school redhat and fedors where you actually got to select packages. ATM the thing loads all the hum drum and then you can remove after the fact. I'd honestly be content if the GUI installer gave you the option of desktop, workstation or server and then went from there.

starcraft.man
September 16th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I don't see any problem with the way Ubuntu/Gutsy is. I certainly don't see this "bloat" that was mentioned a few times in the thread. Nero, Symantec, Mcaffee and Adobe Reader (latest version is now on my list, compared to kpdf and foxxit it's ridiculous) are all prime examples of what bloat means in programming.

I'm happy where Ubuntu is.

Paqman
September 16th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Most people's machines are more than powerful enough to have some spare grunt available when just doing normal desktop stuff like browsing and file management. Spare a thought for the poor Windows users who have to weigh their machines down with hefty antivirus and firewalls.

I think a modern distro needs to have eye candy to be considered competitive.

ssam
September 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
compiz shifts work from the CPU to the GPU. in many cases compiz will make your desktop smoother; moving and switching between windows will be faster.

the default compiz configuration in gutsy will be minimalistic. no wobbly windows, no 3d rotating cube.

K.Mandla
September 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Can I vote yes and no? Yes, it's overweight for what I like. But no, because I can trim the excess fat, if I want.

Choice is good.