PDA

View Full Version : Does iPod Touch works in linux?

Kosimo
September 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I read somewhere... don't really remember where, (I guess in DIGG) that iPod touch doesn't works in Linux. Does anybody knows if is this real?

If you have it just say yes please! ;) I'm thinking in buy it.

Lord Illidan
September 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I guess not. Apple is making it harder and harder for linux to support their hardware.

dashnak
September 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM
It does not work...
http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/09/14/1831236.shtml
http://ipodminusitunes.blogspot.com/2007/09/apple-cuts-us-off.html

PriceChild
September 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Latest ipods have some sort of hash in the itunes database which the ipod checks... if it doesn't exist or isn't correct (ie made by anything other than itunes) then it won't load the database.

See #gtkpod on irc.freenode.net for work getting around this. You might even be able to help them with disk images of your new ipod or testing.

Pricey

Oki
September 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
So Apple have decided to not support Linux with its latest iPod touch, since you need iTunes to transfer files. Kind of ironic since Apples webbroser contains a lot of code from Konquor(!).
Well, this is also true for Sandisk; there latest mp3 players can only work on Windows since it can only transfere files with ms Mediaplayer. Normally you could use them as FAT32, but not longer(thanks to f**** ms I guess).

But should we care? There is lots of other players out there that even is better. Take a look at Cowon for an example; they support much more file formats then others, as (open and free) flac and ogg. Battery lifetime is better, good build quality, and most important; the sound quality is better then on a ipod. Cowon even brag on there site that they work with Linux(!). Since it can bee used as a FAT32 you can even use it as a normal hard drive to transfer your files. And yeah, you even get a radio on-board. Dont forget that Rocbox works one at least one of the Cowon players.

For those that already have bought one, you could sell it(?), or wait until it get cracked.

I just don't get this ipod hype, I have used several(belonging to friends and family), and I loved the navigation, but that's all. Why don't people vote with there money and buy other products from Linux friendly company's? Ok, you need iTunes to get music? Wrong(well, in a short time), since the biggest online shop – Amazon, will start to sell mp3 music without DRM crap. And not to forget about Magnatune.

manny0
September 17th, 2007, 01:45 AM
looks like they cracked it already. hehe check out the channel man.

sinaen
September 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM
can't you post a link somewhere.?

i do not use irc anymore

dashnak
September 19th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah, seems to be working now... I love free software

misfitpierce
September 19th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Should be cracked in upcoming amarok... Don't know about any other software or right now :)

Gargamella
September 19th, 2007, 07:33 AM
looks like they cracked it already. hehe check out the channel man.

here it is from amarok website:

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/496-iPod-Classic-Will-Be-Supported.html