PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7 now works with Wine

isaacj87
September 15th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I'm not an iTunes fan, only a WINE fan...I just think it's cool that Linux can run some of the most popular apps/games with WINE. I'll stick with Banshee ;)

I don't know if this has been mentioned, so I thought I'd throw it out there. I read that the new version of WINE 0.9.45 has iTunes 7 capabilities so I had to see for myself. and surprise surprise! It actually works...

Even the music store. CD burning doesn't work (haven't tested yet, but I'm pretty sure) I haven't plugged an iPod in yet so I wouldn't know about that. Great job WINE devs!

P.S. I tried iTunes version 7.4.1 and it didn't work. I have 7.0 installed but I'll try something higher.

isaacj87
September 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM
UPDATE:

I just installed 7.2 (anything higher will not work) which works fine. I also "purchased" a free song...just to see if that works as well. It does. It downloaded normally and is sitting in my library.

SlayerMan
September 15th, 2007, 10:19 AM
This is great news. The iTunes Music Store was one of the reasons I still kept a Windows system around. Now the only reason left are state-of-the-art/current games.

Spike-X
September 15th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Hey, nifty!

Nano Geek
September 15th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Cool, I just might try it.

Nano Geek
September 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know where I could download an older version of iTunes?

Thanks

starcraft.man
September 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know where I could download an older version of iTunes?

Thanks

try oldapps.com (http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm) or oldversion.com (http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=itunes) both store old versions of most software. Useful sites, you never know when old versions are needed.

As for the topic, I don't really see why anyone would want to support a company now bent on actively sabotaging their products against Linux. To each his own though.

LowSky
September 15th, 2007, 04:15 PM
sweet i'm going to try this

LowSky
September 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM
ok just tried 7.2 and it runs like a one legged man. going to try 7.0 and see if that is any better.

LowSky
September 15th, 2007, 04:54 PM
ok i just hit a wall.... i can uninstall itunes/quicktime.. if I click to uninstall they just reinstall..wth?

slimdog360
September 15th, 2007, 05:00 PM
so will it sych with ipods?

isaacj87
September 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
As far as I know, it doesn't work with iPods.

I plugged mine in and nothing happened.

I forgot to mention that it the speed of the app is pretty poor. While it is impressive that itunes 7 is now running, it still has a long way to go. and there really isn't a difference in speed when comparing version 7.0 to 7.2

if you go here:

All Versions of iTunes (http://filehippo.com/download_itunes/)

you can download every version. I basically tried everyone in the 7.x.x series.

isaacj87
September 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
As for the topic, I don't really see why anyone would want to support a company now bent on actively sabotaging their products against Linux. To each his own though.

Trust me, I'm not very happy with Apple as of late. I just wanted to share a success story of WINE. Many people, not including me, would like to see itunes 7 running on their linux installs.

Having itunes running with WINE is kind of our way of saying..."Hey look Apple, you neglected us, but some how your crappy application is running on our OS too...hmmm??" :lolflag:

zach12
September 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM
well put but i thing that itunes is not the most crappy of apple's program

isaacj87
September 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM
ok i just hit a wall.... i can uninstall itunes/quicktime.. if I click to uninstall they just reinstall..wth?

The only thing you can do to remove itunes is deleting the .wine folder in your home folder.

Nano Geek
September 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM
try oldapps.com (http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.htm) or oldversion.com (http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=itunes) both store old versions of most software. Useful sites, you never know when old versions are needed.

As for the topic, I don't really see why anyone would want to support a company now bent on actively sabotaging their products against Linux. To each his own though.Hey thanks.

Sunflower1970
September 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'll be darned.I really didn't think it would work, after reading some stuff from others on digg, but I'm sitting here staring at iTunes 7.2 on my screen. Yeah, the performance is horrid, and every once in a while it would black out my screen, but I do admit it was fun to try it out. :) (I even got a few song snippits from the store to play, although I couldn't touch anything else otherwise it would screw it up)

(back to Amarok now)

isaacj87
September 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I'll be darned.I really didn't think it would work, after reading some stuff from others on digg, but I'm sitting here staring at iTunes 7.2 on my screen. Yeah, the performance is horrid, and every once in a while it would black out my screen, but I do admit it was fun to try it out. :)

(back to Amarok now)

Haha...yeah...the performance is AWFUL...but then again, itunes on Windows isn't that great either...

Sunflower1970
September 15th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Haha...yeah...the performance is AWFUL...but then again, itunes on Windows isn't that great either...

No kidding :)

I couldn't even use iTunes 7x for some reason. It would freeze up, crash, music would skip, take up every resource it could eat...I finally had to downgrade to 6x which worked perfectly...but I couldn't buy music or shows. (which was done on a rare occasion anyway when I was able to with 6x)

mrbungle
September 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM
that's cool, but i think i will stick with linux ipod programs.

DalekClock
September 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM
To be honest, I was expecting something like this a bit sooner, considering that iTunes is a major app and demand for it to work is great. I sure hope they perfect it's performance before v8 comes around, then people will be flocking to Linux.:)

vikrant82
September 17th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I was wondering for a long time how could wine give it a miss. But somebody just said it, "Apple, we even made ur crap work," .

But i dont feel like sprinkling my cutie with apple crap...:)

isaacj87
September 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I was wondering for a long time how could wine give it a miss. But somebody just said it, "Apple, we even made ur crap work," .

But i dont feel like sprinkling my cutie with apple crap...:)

Well said!

rmtatum
September 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Subscribing to podcasts in iTunes 7.2 with wine 0.9.45 does not work. An error dialog box pops up. A screenshot is attached to this post of the error.

ButteBlues
October 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Has anyone gotten 7.4.x working?

specvthis
October 16th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Actually I am running 7.4.3 and it works fine. I am running a gutsy gibbon currently updated system with wine 0.9.46 and the install hacked through and itunes is up and running. When in full display mode it is god awful slow but the mini player actually works pretty well. Compiz fusion didn't seem to like the installation process (half the screen went black a few different times) but now that it is running it is doing something. Store works, no ipod support but this is pretty killer I must say. If I could only manager my iphone and ipod on my linux machine would be great. Retire my macbook a little bit from syncing duty.

specvthis
October 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM
A little bit more playing around it seems any network data does not work (cannot connect to iTunes store) and any advanced drawing (cover flow and visualization fail miserably). But a functional music player that does not skip even as the gui is awfully slow does work.

edhalen
October 18th, 2007, 02:03 AM
If only those Linux itunes programs would work with my Airport...

zach12
October 18th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Can someone make a howto
for itunes in wine i see a lot of new user ask this so a howto would be good!:):):)

isaacj87
October 19th, 2007, 08:22 AM
the itunes store works. I've even "bought" a free a song off of the store to try it out.

mostwanted
October 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Does iPod syncing work (and with the new iPod Classic too)?

isaacj87
October 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
No, because WINE doesn't support USB at this point...sorry.

avik
October 28th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Having itunes running with WINE is kind of our way of saying..."Hey look Apple, you neglected us, but some how your crappy application is running on our OS too...hmmm??" :lolflag:

That, or it says, "Hey Apple, you don't need to worry about Linux. We'll handle the getting it work on Linux part for you."

Considering it took so long for them to put DRM-free music on the same footing as DRMed music, I'd rather buy my music from other sources. Or buy CDs and rip them onto my computer.

Henaro
October 28th, 2007, 06:30 AM
No, because WINE doesn't support USB at this point...sorry.

I wish it did. I need to use it's little "return iPod to factory settings" tool because gtkpod froze and screwed up my iPod's database. Now I have to wait til Monday to get one of my friends at school to do it for me.

avik
October 28th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I wish it did. I need to use it's little "return iPod to factory settings" tool because gtkpod froze and screwed up my iPod's database. Now I have to wait til Monday to get one of my friends at school to do it for me.

Get rid of everything on the iPod, and let gtkpod do that for you. I don't have the program right now, but there should be some option like Create iPod folders.

billyboy1995
July 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM
i am always getting an error message when i try to install it with the new wine. Also since the new wine has usb support will ipod syincing work?

toupeiro
July 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Holy two years ago batman!

Your mileage is going to vary. As with anything that has to do with iPods and linux, it could break with a single, solitary update, on the wine side, or the apple side.

Elfy
July 24th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Thread closed - if you need help I would start a new thread.