PDA

View Full Version : Open Radio, Has Anyone Made This?

DeadSuperHero
September 15th, 2007, 05:52 AM
One of my biggest, biggest problems with organizations like the FSF is that they complain too much about things like "proprietary formats" and just rant about it. They may make a website telling of how much it sucks, but that's still technically inaction (to be fair, though, the FSF has done a lot for Open Source/Free Software)

I figured, if we really want to prove that Open Source is better, why not just do that, prove it? And so I decided I wanted to tackle one of the biggest problems with proprietary stuff: media.

Let's face it, media codecs are often considered illegal for most Linux distributions. There have been workarounds (Gstreamer and Xine work wonders), but what about OGG? What about the Open Codecs?

At the same time, what about independant artists that want to become known? Ones that could record into the OGG format, and upload it to a band profile on a site, which could be streamed in a lineup, or just downloaded by searching a library? The codecs would be Open, the site code would be constantly improved, and everything would be built upon Open Source technology.

That's basically my idea for Open Radio. It would be a large site (possibly powered by Joomla! and a GPL'd message board software), and would be a nifty way of getting new music to people, as well as introducing Open Source. Not only that, but there could be technology in place for a user to choose what online programs they want to listen to, and stream it to whatever media player they want through some nifty plugin. News, politics, a music hour, humor, whatever they want.
It would take a while to get going. It would also be a lot of work to just maintain it, but I think that this could be a really promising project that could really shine, and could become a big hit with the Open Source communities, music communities, and mainstream teenager communities.

I'm currently short on money, but I do happen to work a minimum wage job, and I'm planning to save up and buy the web space and domain for such a site.
Anyone interested is welcome to PM me.

Also, seeing as I don't actually have the domain yet, does anyone have any better suggestions for a name other than Open Radio? In case that name's taken, of course.
What do you guys (and gals) think?

DeadSuperHero
September 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Bump.

Lord Illidan
September 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Magnatunes is a prime example of what you're talking about, I think.

Ya'akov
September 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM
"Open"

Please avoid using the word "open" as a substitute for "free software". A different group, whose values are less idealistic than ours, uses "open source" as its slogan. If you are referring to them, it is proper to use their name, but please don't lump us in with them or describe our work by their label---that leads people to think we are their supporters.

https://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/words-to-avoid.html

You'll find this very interesting.

Cheers
Ya'akov

DeadSuperHero
September 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Interesting read.
Well, hopefully this site will implement ideas from both movements.
Unfortunately, Open Radio's domains are already taken, so I'd have to think of a better name...