PDA

View Full Version : Cassette Tape MP3 Player

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 05:50 PM
This is the Cassette Tape MP3 Player and while some people (like me) might just chuckle a little and appreciate its nostalgic shape it actually doubles as a cassette tape, meaning besides plugging your earphones in it and use it as a portable MP3 player you can load it with music (via USB, which also charges it) and use it in any ‘ol cassette tape player.
There’s no internal memory but it features a built-in SD card slot, so the storage space depends on your wallet.
http://www.freshpilot.com/the-cassette-tape-mp3-player/

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=43465&d=1189788608

aaaantoine
September 14th, 2007, 05:57 PM
That's kinda cool... If you still have a casette player sitting around.

LowSky
September 14th, 2007, 06:34 PM
suprisingly many cars still come with a cassette player.. this is worth it iff you dont like replacing stereos

Bungo Pony
September 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
A guy at work has one of those. It's a pretty nifty idea.

tcpip4lyfe
September 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Remember the days of cassettes? You would have to fast forward to skip a song. Whoops to far. Rewind. Whoops too far. FF... Is this side A or B? Dammit it "ate" my tape. Someone get me a toothbrush handle so I can rewind the tape back on its reel. Then after a year or so and the tape would stop working or would be recorded over so many times that you could hear the albums you just recorded mixed with the one you recorded over.

I dont miss those day at all. :)

Bungo Pony
September 14th, 2007, 07:00 PM
The cassette days were kinda fun for me. I had the music search feature on my tape deck, so when I pressed FF, it would stop at the next song (provided the gap between songs was long enough). I rarely had tapes get eaten on me. The ones that did get eaten were usually pre-recorded ones. I used Maxell brand blanks for years and never had one get eaten. It also helped that I did regular maintenance on my tape decks.

Spike-X
September 14th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Tape is a horrible medium, and I don't miss it at all.

This, however, is quite nifty.

Bungo Pony
September 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Cassettes weren't that horrible if you knew what you were doing. I made the best of it... CrO2 or Metal cassettes used with a machine that could adjust the bias settings accordingly, and you could come up with a pretty good sounding recording. Throw in Dolby C noise reduction, and it's pretty damn decent (I loathed Dolby B).

Cassettes were great in the vehicle. You could just pull it out and chuck it on the dashboard. I hate having CDs in the truck because I don't want them scratched. I don't like ******* around with CD cases while I'm driving. MP3s have *kinda* fixed that though.

Cassettes posed a few problems for me. If I wanted to get close to CD quality, cassettes weren't good enough. Also, if I wanted to record for long periods of time (4 hours), cassettes also didn't cut it. Reel to reel tapes were the answer for both of those issues. I put my original and most valued recordings on reels, and I recorded entire radio morning shows onto them as well. Just like with MP3s, you could sacrifice quality for playing time.

Computers have effectively replaced Reel to Reel tapes for me. The quality of a digital recording is better, and with bigger hard drives I can record for hours at a time at the same quality. If I need more time, I can just lower the quality.

I'll tell you one thing though... I prefer the sound of a cassette over a 128kbps MP3.

tcpip4lyfe
September 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I'll tell you one thing though... I prefer the sound of a cassette over a 128kbps MP3.

I agree with you on that one. Nothing worse then a poor quality mp3.