PDA

View Full Version : C++ and Linux

[pl]ice
September 14th, 2007, 10:58 AM
hi guys,
i'm learing c++ but its non platform so i'm looking for a solid book that will help me learning how to use c++ under linux. I was wondering if someone could pls point me in the right direction.
thank you

lisati
September 14th, 2007, 11:09 AM
There are some free books available at http://www.linux-books.us/linux_general.php including one for C++

BTW, the command-line compiler that comes with Ubuntu is g++

pmasiar
September 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Did you checked stickies for this forum? All mentioned there is not enough?

gnusci
September 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Did you checked stickies for this forum? All mentioned there is not enough?

Here they are in case he can not find them:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255970

LaRoza
September 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM
My wiki has tutorials and books for C++ and other languages. In my sig.

[pl]ice
September 15th, 2007, 07:35 AM
yeh, got that one:
C++ GUI Programming With Qt 3

but how bout programming without the Qt3 ?

i haven't looked through that book yet, but its a good start!

any one does any C++ in linux? i'm looking more for guidance :guitar:

thanks

dwhitney67
September 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
What kind of guidance? Have you taken any coursework on the subject? Many community colleges offer C++ classes. I would recommend auditing one, that way you can focus on learning, and not just on getting a good grade.

Oops... I just realized you are in Poland. I'm am definitely not qualified to write about what educational opportunities exist over there. My initial statement concerns the course availabilities in the US.

ryno519
September 15th, 2007, 09:22 AM
ice;3367998']yeh, got that one:
C++ GUI Programming With Qt 3

but how bout programming without the Qt3 ?

i haven't looked through that book yet, but its a good start!

any one does any C++ in linux? i'm looking more for guidance :guitar:

thanks

Well, GNU/Linux has a set of C headers which would be akin to the functions windows.h exposes in a Win32 environment. They're mostly located in /usr/include/linux if I remember correctly.

If you're just looking for a different toolkit, besides Qt3 (which I'm not a fan of, btw, so I might be a little biased ;) ) I could recommend gtkmm (http://www.gtkmm.org/), which has very good online documentation and examples. It's pretty easy to pick up.

Some recommended reading for developing in a GNU/Linux environment would be how to use the G++ compiler (http://homepages.gac.edu/~mc38/2001J/documentation/g++.html), how to use Autoconf and Automake (http://www.openismus.com/documents/linux/automake/automake.shtml) and of course... Design Patterns. ;)

I find C++ development in GNU/Linux simpler in some ways and harder in others when compared to Windows development. For instance, learning how to use the Autoconf and Automake tools takes a little trial and error, whereas in Windows you don't have to worry about distributing your work as source as often. However, the big plus on GNU/Linux is the very easy access of VAST amounts of shared code you can use in your projects.

I think you will find the pro's outweigh the cons. You get used to the compilation process very quickly and after you get that down, you're golden.

samjh
September 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
ice;3363150']hi guys,
i'm learing c++ but its non platform so i'm looking for a solid book that will help me learning how to use c++ under linux. I was wondering if someone could pls point me in the right direction.
thank you

If you're going to attempt learning C++ by yourself, make sure you learn how to self-study first: ie. do your own research.

But as usual, I'll deliver some tips on a silver platter. ;)

1. Install your compiler

Open up your terminal (you should at least be familiar with the Linux command-line), and type this:

sudo apt-get install build-essentialThis will give you the GNU C++ compiler and related utilities for developing applications and packages in Ubuntu.

2. Learn to use gedit

This part isn't hard at all. Go to your Applications menu, Accessories, and then select Text Editor. Gedit is the standard text editor in Ubuntu (if you are using Kubuntu, it is Kate). It should be more than enough for a beginner programmer, and it has some useful plugins which you can install using this command in your terminal:

sudo apt-get install gedit-pluginsHave a tinker around, and get used to it.

3. Some good quality tutorials

Here are some good quality tutorials for C++ programming in general:
www.cprogramming.com
www.cplusplus.com

4. How to use the g++ compiler

When you installed build-essential in Step 1, one of the programs it installed was g++, which is the GNU C++ compiler. It's one of the best there is, and the de facto standard C++ compiler for Unix and LInux.

To compile a simple program - let's call it helloworld.cpp - into an executable - let's call that just helloworld - do this:

Use your terminal to navigate to the same directory as your source code file (ie. where helloworld.cpp is), and command your terminal thus:

g++ helloworld.cpp -o helloworldThat command will take helloworld.cpp, compile it, link the necessary libraries with it, and produce the output file you specified (using the -o switch): helloworld.

To run helloworld, do this in your terminal:

./helloworldNotice the presence of ./ in front of the actual executable file name.

5. A simple "Hello World" to get you started

No introduction would be complete without one of these classics:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello World!" << std::endl;

return 0;
}

[pl]ice
September 15th, 2007, 01:43 PM
thanks guys, thats make sense, i'll look into gtkmm, and yes i haven't thought about the automake. I just was wondering what options were there :)
ok, wish me happy learning, couse at my age it does not come easy!

thanks again.

gnusci
September 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM
any one does any C++ in linux?

Just start your course and post any question and problem here...

pmasiar
September 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM
ice;3368764']
ok, wish me happy learning, couse at my age it does not come easy!

find some local user group. Sometimes the best help can be obtained by pointing on something on a screen, or observing how gurus do it.

gnusci
September 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
a nice link:

http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialC++.html

Ticus
September 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM
hi! we use ms in college but I'd like to use g++ for my programs, can any body paste a example about saving data in text files???
Thanks!

dwhitney67
September 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
If in MS or in Gedit or other IDE editor, Ctlr-A (to select everything), Ctlr-C (to copy), and Ctrl-V (to paste).

If you are dealing with an xterms, manually select the text you want to copy, Shift-Ctrl-C (to copy), and Shift-Ctrl-V (to paste).

Your text files should have either a .h or a .cpp extension (if dealing with C++). When in MS, create a new file association such that either VS or WordPad is used to open files with such extensions.

I do not use MS anymore. And probably never will again if I can avoid it. If you have a notebook PC, you should inquire with your college professor if it is ok to do your assignments in Linux. Generally all they want is the source code when an assignment is due. If they need to observe the runtime binary, then bring your notebook PC into class.

P.S. I'm sure there are other ways to copy text or files from one source to another. Shame on you for not doing the research on how to do this.

Ticus
September 16th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Hi again. Thanks for the comment, that's what I want to do because the profesor said that we can use any compiler.
But I mean how can i save data in text files. For example how do yo write this lines in c++??? which extencion I use instead of .txt?

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
ofstream myfile;
myfile.open ("example.txt");
myfile << "Writing this to a file.\n";
myfile.close();
return 0;
}

ryno519
September 16th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Hi again. Thanks for the comment, that's what I want to do because the profesor said that we can use any compiler.
But I mean how can i save data in text files. For example how do yo write this lines in c++??? which extencion I use instead of .txt?

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
using namespace std;

int main () {
ofstream myfile;
myfile.open ("example.txt");
myfile << "Writing this to a file.\n";
myfile.close();
return 0;
}

The convention I like to follow are the following

.cpp for source files
.hpp for header files

Some people use .cc for source and .hh for headers. Some simply use .h for their C++ headers, although I consider that a poor convention.

So I'd suggest saving that file as main.cpp

nonewmsgs
September 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM
use anjuta. it's great. it complains about some build dependencies when you makea new project so you have to apt-get them, but once you get started it's great.

theBee
September 16th, 2007, 05:20 AM
1. Install your compiler

Open up your terminal (you should at least be familiar with the Linux command-line), and type this:

sudo apt-get install build-essentialThis will give you the GNU C++ compiler and related utilities for developing applications and packages in Ubuntu.

Thanks!!! This nugget should be in a FAQ. (Maybe it is... I'm new here.)

I searched everywhere for g++. I expected it to be available from the Applications | Add/Remove menu. Why isn't it there?

(I'm an experienced C/C++ developer, but new to Linux.)

Anyhow, thanks for this tip. Now I can run the compiler!

samjh
September 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Thanks!!! This nugget should be in a FAQ. (Maybe it is... I'm new here.)

I searched everywhere for g++. I expected it to be available from the Applications | Add/Remove menu. Why isn't it there?

(I'm an experienced C/C++ developer, but new to Linux.)

Anyhow, thanks for this tip. Now I can run the compiler!

The Add/Remove menu only lists the most commonly used stuff.

To dig deeper, you need to go System | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager. From there, you can use the Search function to look for things like g++.

Ticus
October 3rd, 2007, 08:07 AM
The convention I like to follow are the following

.cpp for source files
.hpp for header files

Some people use .cc for source and .hh for headers. Some simply use .h for their C++ headers, although I consider that a poor convention.

So I'd suggest saving that file as main.cpp

Thanks a lot guys!

Armadillo Kilr
October 3rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
you are welcome