PDA

View Full Version : does ubuntu keep you....

sp0onman
September 14th, 2007, 05:28 AM
awake at night? maybe its just cause im in my first use of month but i often find myself awake to all hours playing around with it, making it do what i want it to.

maybe im just too much of a geek but it does keep me awake at night(not a sexual thing, or is it?).

FuturePilot
September 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I think it has something to do with us geeks. It keeps me awake at night too. And there was one time I couldn't get it to install on my new laptop and I actually lost sleep over that. Not because I was up all night trying to install it, but because it was bugging the heck out of me that I couldn't get it installed. Finally got it though.:lolflag:

blithen
September 14th, 2007, 05:41 AM
It's all I really think about.
I'm dead serious. Just expanding my knowledge of linux is just so intoxicating. And so fun.
MAN
LINUX IS GREAT!!!!!!!

fuscia
September 14th, 2007, 05:48 AM
redecorating it does.

sp0onman
September 14th, 2007, 05:55 AM
redecorating it does.

that is one of the main reasons. first week i had it i was not asleep before 3:30am every night. first night was epic, went all the way through didnt have a catch up nap till 11:30am, and once i woke up guess where i was? sittin on my *** basking in the glorious light that is ubuntu.

MerlinX420
September 14th, 2007, 06:01 AM
ROFL! I've been the same way since I injured my foot and haven't had to work. I been sitting in front of the computer since I installed 3 weeks ago. Even When I was at work I'd think of what I was going to try and do next. As much as I try I'm still frustrated with emulation on this slow hardware. Beryl is completely out of the order. I crashed 2 installs trying to force the nvidia legacy drivers to work.

ThinkBuntu
September 14th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Only two distros that have kept me up are Zenwalk and Debian. Ubuntu's too easy to keep me up -- everything's taken care of! Usually solving CSS problems is what keeps me up late, to tell you the truth.

FuturePilot
September 14th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Well it's not the difficulty that keeps me up, it's the tweaking and tinkering that keeps me up.

sp0onman
September 14th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Well it's not the difficulty that keeps me up, it's the tweaking and tinkering that keeps me up.

this man knows the score.

misfitpierce
September 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM
this man knows the score.

Indeed :)

karellen
September 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM
no. I use it then I shut down the PC...

blithen
September 14th, 2007, 07:22 AM
no. I use it then I shut down the PC...

D: Do you die a little inside when you do that?

sp0onman
September 14th, 2007, 07:38 AM

if not he must have a heart of solid rock

karellen
September 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM

:)....well, I may die a little, but not because of the os I use but because of the things that I must give up for sleep (some nice movie/music, an interesting book/article, a witty conversation with a friend...)

hessiess
September 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
it dusent ceep me up at night, unless i brake something.

working on my latst blender project ceeps me up more often

Tautoa
September 14th, 2007, 11:14 AM
It's been keeping me awake recently... because I'm making a mirror of the repositories, so my PC is left on at night to download the 38GB of software... and the fan is noisy as hell *yawn*
Can't wait til I get round to building my own, no more noisy fans :D

misfitpierce
September 14th, 2007, 11:17 AM
sometimes... not often tho. Computer never goes off tho. laptop is a kubuntu beast!

sp0onman
September 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
yea i may be an energy waster, but my computer is never turned off. unless i go away. im lookin into gettin myself a laptop in the next year or so. wouldn't mind trying a mac out(never had one before) but they are expensive for what i would want.

forrestcupp
September 14th, 2007, 01:59 PM
When you finally get everything tweaked how you like it, the newness will die down. You'll still love Linux, but you'll find that after everything is set up, there's not as much to do. You'll have to figure out things to do, and you won't stay up all night with it any more.

Honestly, I had the same newness excitement when I first started using Windows, too. After a while, it just becomes an OS on a computer, and all you end up doing is posting on these forums.

Don't get me wrong, Linux is awesome. But it's like marriage. In the beginning it's exciting and your spouse is all you think about. But after many years, the excitement isn't always there, but you really know and understand your spouse.

beercz
September 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I think it has something to do with us geeks. It keeps me awake at night too. And there was one time I couldn't get it to install on my new laptop and I actually lost sleep over that. Not because I was up all night trying to install it, but because it was bugging the heck out of me that I couldn't get it installed. Finally got it though.:lolflag:
Think most of us have been there, especially when writing software!

crazygopedder
March 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Yes, yes it does. I was up till 8 AM the other night/morning lol. But I love it :) Like others have said it's the tweaking and customizing. I'm finally done though...for now :) Ubuntu ROCKS my T43, or should I say my T43 rocks Ubuntu haha.

jrusso2
March 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
It doesn't usually keep me up at night thinking about it, but there have been times I have been working on it till early in the morning, the time went by so fast I didn't realize how late it had gotten.

Istonian
March 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
TIme does fly when using Linux. I have also had some late, late nights tweaking and messing with my OS.

acirilo
March 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Of course.... 4:30am for me last night.... But if I could get my dang scanner working..it might be closer to 2am!

Mustard
March 10th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Linux in general keeps me up. Yesterday being an example. Sitting around with not much idea what I wanted to do for the day, I thought, "Maybe I can muck around installing Debian from a netinstall CD and set up a fluxbox desktop or a xfce desktop!"

I managed to bork my main Ubuntu install during the partitioning, but then I had the satisfaction of troubleshooting/fixing it without once having to read a forum post or google for answers.

So then I move on to installing Debian on my newly made partition, this entailed several attempts at the installer, as I came to grips with how the installer worked and what it was going to install. A couple of hours tinkering, I'm finally looking at my fluxbox desktop, with firefox installed and a youtube video running. I'll probably wipe this partition soon and find some other version of linux to wrestle with. So the process will go on, until the official release of Hardy, when I can start tinkering with my main installation again!

hhhhhx
March 11th, 2008, 12:08 AM
yep,

also reminds me of this:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/christmas_back_home.png
(by xkcd :) )

macogw
March 11th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Anything computer-related keeps me awake at night :P

DjBones
March 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM
haha i'm glad i'm not the only one

zmjjmz
March 11th, 2008, 03:19 AM
My old computer project does, and so does my MacBook...

chris4585
March 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
It's all I really think about.
I'm dead serious. Just expanding my knowledge of linux is just so intoxicating. And so fun.
MAN
LINUX IS GREAT!!!!!!!

thats how i feel just about...

Breakage
March 11th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Archlinux keeps me up, recently been doing alot of stuff from cli. its fun. :)

Shazaam
March 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
They need to speed up the Ubuntu release cycle. To get my fix I have been installing/tweaking distro's in VMware.
Who needs sleep? :)

3rdalbum
March 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM
It did for a while, but now I stay awake at night thinking of VIA's pico-itx motherboards :-)

angry_johnnie
March 11th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Computers in general keep me up all night. I usually go to sleep at about six or seven a.m. It's a good thing I don't have to do anything other than sleep until it's afternoon. :-) But, then again, I'm not that much of a sleeper anyway...

SomeGuyDude
March 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
redecorating it does.

Mmmmm-hm. Big time.

If I think of something small and stupid to do to my Conky setup, I gotta do it. No choice. Has to be done. New GTK theme? Gotta install it.

&)ky#)^
March 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM
MAN
LINUX IS GREAT!!!!!!!

bash: !: event not found
No manual entry for is in section linux
No manual entry for great in section linux

NightwishFan
March 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Lately I have been getting more into helping bug reports on hardy, so I am up late at times. On a more leisure related note, I really like to get the newest alpha of everything and tweak it until I break what stability it possibly had. :)

Nighttime is my time.

beercz
March 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
.... keep me up at night?

No!

It seems that most in this thread have too much time on their hands!

sailor2001
March 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
sleep eludes with linux........unfortunately getting hooked on sleep pills. Bad stuff as I think it caused a small stroke... of course it I stayed with windows it probably would have been a major stroke. Linux is fun but addictive

xpod
March 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately i have to actually get off my backside for a living and with a large family to boot....no pun intended...i`m always in bed by around midnight,and usually awoken 2 or 3 times a night by our youngest still:)

Strangely though,my first 4 months on a PC often had me up to the wee hours of the morning.Those were messed up ole Windows machines though.
Now that was a frustratingly crazy few months.

I do think the discovery of Ubuntu & Co,so soon after,was probably the best thing that could have happened as far as our journey into this crazy ole world of computers was concerned.
Theres more PC`s at home now(All Linux,with a hint of XP) than what there are children,and theres 5 of them but the dear wife has still not divorced me though,as once promised were it to ever happen.:)

She should have just called tails 2 year ago,when we flipped that coin to see who was going to sit down and figure the PC thing out,for the sake(safety) of our girls initially.
Oh how things could have been soo different.

It`s all just a bit of fun for me of course and although,like many others,i now have that "local pc guy" issue i still dont allow all it to affect the real issues in life,not tooo much anyway........
>counts the pc`s around the house and all their respective drives & os`s again<:-\"

I certainly dont have the worries(or frustrations) i did when PC`s & internet first crashed into our lives 2 years ago so It`s all good:)

MONODA
March 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
yes several times :P but only arch has kept me up ALL night since I couldnt get wireless working!

Cyberponcho
March 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sleep...????
I've heard of that, that's when you finally manage to shut down your Linux box late @ night (or should i say early in the morning??), lay in a horizontal position and close your eyes right?