PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy to get Compiz by Default

bonzodog
September 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/09/12/ubuntu-technical-board-votes-on-compiz-for-ubuntu-7-10

It looks like the Technical Board yesterday voted to install compiz by default on Gutsy.

Thoughts anyone?

wickstopher
September 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM
So long as it isn't *turned on* in the default settings, I think it's great. If they've managed to work out all the kinks and get it working properly (it's a little hairy in 7.04, in my experience, but I don't have the most up-to-date hardware), I definitely think they should include it in the base install. I think that they should, however, keep Metacity/Kwin/XFCE as the default window managers in the various distributions. I like having compiz on my machine to show off to friends, but for normal operation it's just a hair too much of a resource hog for my liking.

smartboyathome
September 13th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Right now, they have it set to detect if your hardware can handle Compiz, and if so, it will start it.

23meg
September 13th, 2007, 08:33 PM
So long as it isn't *turned on* in the default settings, I think it's great.

The decision was to turn it on as default on supported hardware.

wickstopher
September 13th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I'd prefer an installation dialogue akin to this:

"Your hardware is able to run compiz fusion. Would you like to enable it now, or try it out later?"

but that's just me. i'm really curious to see how well-implemented it is with this release. the whole "desktop-effects" in feisty was a bit shoddy, imo. but, like i said before, maybe my machine just isn't meant to run compiz, so maybe it's just shoddy on my machine. ;)

devilmyarse
September 13th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I definately hope it's not switched on by default!

Have they thought about the certain incompatibilities with Sun's Java and Compiz? My system runs at 100% cpu with compiz and java. I don't know whether it's a problem with java or compiz.

(FYI i installed both compiz and java from source as i know that java is sometimes lagging behind in synaptic a few versions and nothing has changed with the latest version of both software.)

23meg
September 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I'd prefer an installation dialogue akin to this:

"Your hardware is able to run compiz fusion. Would you like to enable it now, or try it out later?"

That's not very Ubuntu'ish, since it assumes previous knowledge of the software, and adds a "Yes / No" question (and therefore clutters the installation process) against which a considerable portion of the intended audience won't find themselves in an assured position.

Thoughts anyone?

The decision surprised me. I don't have a strong preference either way, but predicted that the TB would vote against inclusion.

FuturePilot
September 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I don't care either way either. It's very easy to turn off anyway.

Swarms
September 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
It shouldn't prompt you if you want it or not, Ubuntu is about keeping it simple, and turning it on by default for pc's that can support me I like.

mips
September 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
The decision was to turn it on as default on supported hardware.

Well on my current Gutsy install you have to go to the system menu and enable it.

23meg
September 13th, 2007, 09:31 PM
The decision concerns the final release. Of course I'm not sure how current your current install is, and whether the decision has been applied to the recent daily builds.

LowSky
September 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM
So is Compiz going to called a stable release?

Wiebelhaus
September 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM
can't wait for this one! good job folks out there making decisions about our beloved OS.

bobbybobington
September 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Flippin sweet. :guitar:

happysmileman
September 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM
(FYI i installed both compiz and java from source as i know that java is sometimes lagging behind in synaptic a few versions and nothing has changed with the latest version of both software.)

You can install Java from source now? I didn't know it was fully OSS yet

mech7
September 13th, 2007, 10:14 PM
will it come also with latest ATI drivers? so you dont have to run under XGL ?

prizrak
September 13th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Somewhat a bad idea, I have Gutsy and the first install was really flaky with nVidia drivers. Restricted manager installed nvidia-glx as opposed to nvidia-glx-new which really didn't agree with my card at all. Also it defaults to direct rendering which gives me black windows and to turn it off is not nearly as easy as it used to be with Beryl. Now you have to go to the config file and edit it. I think it would be better if it asked on first boot whether you want it or not.

urukrama
September 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
It looks like the Technical Board yesterday voted to install compiz by default on Gutsy.

Thoughts anyone?

If that means it is installed (but not turned on) on hardware that doesn't work very well with Compiz, such as my computer, this will become one more reason for me to keep doing server installs and building up from there.

mips
September 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM
will it come also with latest ATI drivers? so you dont have to run under XGL ?

NO. Gutsy is already in feature freeze and the latest ATI drivers will not make it into gutsy. Read this somewhere today, just dont ask me where.

CyberAngel
September 13th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Will it also be the default window manager for kubuntu?
Or only for ubuntu?

ThinkBuntu
September 14th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Mac OS X has 3D effects enabled by default. I don't see the harm in making it default for Ubuntu, and as a matter of fact, I feel that it's about time. This will put some pressure on the Compiz developers to produce quality, efficient, stable software.

23meg
September 14th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Mac OS X has 3D effects enabled by default.

And hardware that's guaranteed to handle it. Not a good point of reference, at least technically.

p_quarles
September 14th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I've only looked at Gutsy via the live CD, but from what I can tell, the default Compiz effects are very light. No desktop cube, no water effects or wobbly windows or anything. If it's able to correctly determine hardware compatibility, then it shouldn't cause many problems for people.

Spike-X
September 14th, 2007, 03:45 AM
This will put some pressure on the Compiz developers to produce quality, efficient, stable software.

From what I've read, this was the argument for including it in Gutsy.

p_quarles
September 14th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I think the other part of the argument, too, is putting pressure on Xorg developers and graphics adapter vendors.

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/09/12/ubuntu-technical-board-votes-on-compiz-for-ubuntu-7-10

Thoughts anyone?
You can only spin the cube so many times or have your windows go down in flames until the novelty wears off.

This was a hit last year, now it's just old hat.

I'll stick with the 3d effects in Elive Gem with e17.

Stan_1936
September 14th, 2007, 04:44 AM
...default Compiz effects are very light. No desktop cube, no water effects or wobbly windows or anything. ....

Oh dear word...no way is it that diluted!!!! Ouch.:confused:

p_quarles
September 14th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Oh dear word...no way is it that diluted!!!! Ouch.:confused:
Well, you can still enable all those things, they're just not turned on automatically.

Stan_1936
September 14th, 2007, 04:53 AM
ok, that helps. I like the idea of having it turned on automatically. That way I'm not dissapointed over the course of a month or so...it's just going to happen in one go and done...decision made....yes or no, I will know right off the bat.

luca.b
September 14th, 2007, 07:32 AM
What a bad idea, IMO. Although OSS and FOSS is always about scratching an itch, the compiz/beryl guys are essentially reinventing the wheel with regards to window management (not for 3D effects).
Personally I think the project should cooperate into including compositing support in mature and stable window managers, like metacity or KWin.

misfitpierce
September 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Yes it should auto see if you have hardware to support instant on. If not it wont run but once you set up for it to run you can turn it off/on as done so. Thats how it should end up.

tomplast
September 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
This makes me angry, after I had installed Ubuntu and enabled the 3D-drivers I had Compiz activated, I don't remember getting asked about it?

Freedom comes with a choice, Compiz doesn't :/. And I couldn't find anywhere to deactivate it afterwards either, I may have missed it, if so then please tell me.

frodon
September 14th, 2007, 09:22 AM
For those who tested it on gutsy, does it play nice with game like enemy territory or counter strike source with wine ?
I mean if it decreases game performances, gamers will surely prefer metacity.

gotonpo
September 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
glad to be an xubuntu user. I'm sure we'll still get compiz disabled by default. xfce's native compositing works easier and better for me anyway, even on new hardware.. and it works fine w/ games! I forget to turn it off when I play WoW all the time, and I never notice a performance hit (although I'm sure there is a slight one).

graabein
September 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I for one am glad to see Compiz by default. I'm sure it's easy to turn off. Desktop effects are the talk of the town so I think it's a smart way to attract new users.

What I want to know are what effects/plugins are default? I love the cube and absolutely think it should be default. Multiple desktops are one of the first things Windows and smack users notice with GNU/Linux to my knowledge.

I haven't run Compiz in ages, since before the Beryl branch really. I heard Compiz runs fine on dual monitors now. That's cool. Hope it handles full screen programs (games) also even though I don't play em.

:popcorn:

CyberAngel
September 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know the following?

Will it also be the default window manager for kubuntu?
Or only for ubuntu?

Thanks.

forrestcupp
September 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
You don't ever hear about people being mad that MacOSX has a lot of eye candy by default. That would be silly.

For gaming, I have a couple of shortcuts in my panel to scripts that switches to Metacity or Compiz.

triptoe
September 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I am glad it is being included by default for two reasons... bug testing.. the more people that use it the better it will progress... and because this release is called Gutsy. There had to be a reason ;) . It would simply be lame if it was gutsy and they didn't do anything gutsy technologically speaking.

Anthem
September 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM
This makes me angry, after I had installed Ubuntu and enabled the 3D-drivers I had Compiz activated, I don't remember getting asked about it?

Freedom comes with a choice, Compiz doesn't :/. And I couldn't find anywhere to deactivate it afterwards either, I may have missed it, if so then please tell me.
What a bizarre statement. I think you're either misunderstanding the meaning of "freedom" or the meaning of "choice." Regardless, you can easily disable or uninstall compiz.

By your logic, Ubuntu doesn't give you a choice of word processors, graphics programs, desktop environments, consoles, or browsers. Sure, you can install or remove whatever you want later, but they're restricting your "choice" by choosing for you! The horror!

Obviously, Ubuntu hates freedom.