PDA

View Full Version : Learning C++...

Belinrahs
September 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I picked up a copy of "C++ for Dummies" from the local Barnes and Noble bookstore, and I've had it for a while. I've been reading through it, and it's a great book, examples for everything, and really easy to use. However I thought I might use that in conjunction with a more...practical...way I might learn it: along with someone who knows how do to it already.

Why am I asking here? When I am good enough at the language, I could help fix bugs in Ubuntu, and code new parts of it =)

I'm already familiar with a lot of the language, but there's obviously a lot I'm not fully understanding yet. I thought Linux would be a good OS to learn my programming on, seeing as it's free, and with that a great community that maybe would be willing to help.

Any ideas? Anyone want to help me learn? I'm really excited about this, and I'll have plenty of time to devote to this once I find suitable means.

Belinrahs
September 18th, 2007, 01:46 AM
bump...

Is anyone willing to help an aspiring C++ developer?

nonewmsgs
September 18th, 2007, 01:52 AM
i would read a couple more books first and then start looking at the OS code.

there are a couple good ones and i'm reading thinking in C++ and im amazed at how it is really helping me. it's free online too.

Sporkman
September 18th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Just start writing programs & debugging them. Every once in a while, look through your C++ book for functions & data concepts you're not familiar with, and think about how you can incorporate them into your programs,

yatt
September 18th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Find an app that has some really annoying (but rather small) behavior that you have always hated.

Download the latest sources and compile it (so that you know you can, and so that you can check if the annoyance has already been fixed). Fix the annoyance, and test it. Then, if you are brave, submit the change and see what the people from the project say.

cmat
September 18th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I find books to be better. Right now I'm migrating from python to C++. Learning C++ (or any programming language) off the net usually is not a great idea. I find people (and me) tend to just copy and paste code into the IDE and assume the got the idea by looking at it. With a book it forces you to type everything out, you get a better understanding of the formatting of code. Also you retain everything better.

nonewmsgs
September 18th, 2007, 05:37 AM
I find books to be better. Right now I'm migrating from python to C++. Learning C++ (or any programming language) off the net usually is not a great idea. I find people (and me) tend to just copy and paste code into the IDE and assume the got the idea by looking at it. With a book it forces you to type everything out, you get a better understanding of the formatting of code. Also you retain everything better.

i never copy and paste. i type it in everytime. you dont get the feel of even the << or >> without typing them in, or who can forget the first time you're debugging a program with 10 sets of { and it tells you } expected. oh yeah.

i remember back when i got my teach yourself java in 21 days book had a weird bug in it. it used a nonused reserved word (maybe it wasn't in that versoin) and i loved that i saw that!

bigboy_pdb
September 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM
You might want to look at these links:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=255970
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=333867