PDA

View Full Version : Is this acceptable?

pevans_om
September 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
In our country we have a major lack of bandwidth. So I am wanting to start a service to allow people to select from a bunch of free software, demos, patches, mods, drivers, opensource and linux distros. They can select whatever they want, which is then burnt onto a dvd and posted to them. They are charged for the DVD.

So, is this acceptable?
Would it be okay to charge for a dvd like this, since we're essentially charging for the service of downloading the files on behalf of the person?

Some community input would be appreciated.

Lord Illidan
September 13th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Since it is free software, I don't see any problems with it. As for charging for the expenses, the same thing applies.

Scruffynerf
September 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Should be. There are several websites/organisations that "Sell" free software CD & DVD's. Essentially the cost is minimal, as the organisations are essentially only charging for the CD/DVD disc, and postage.

However, AFAIK, these places only provide media for linux distro images, not compilations of software, so you may have a nice little niche market there to gain reputation from.

Tomosaur
September 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Yes, it's perfectly acceptable :)

However - you should make sure that each piece of software you're distributing allows this. If the software uses the GPL licence, then there should be no problems, but not all open-source software DOES use the GPL.

DoctorMO
September 13th, 2007, 02:06 PM
It's pretty much good to go apart from you not being permitted to distribute the proprietary sections.

Aside: if the terms of a license stop commercial use or distribution then it's considered non-free.

pevans_om
September 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Aside: if the terms of a license stop commercial use or distribution then it's considered non-free.

I guess there are some circumstances where we may have to ask permission from the developers.

curuxz
September 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
sounds like your making an online version of shuttleworths freedom toaster! :D

Good idea if you think people need it where you are :)

Amazona aestiva
September 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Helpful... I like it!