PDA

View Full Version : Call Linux whatever you want, I am sticking to it!

Salpiche
September 13th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I just figured out the real reason why I am sticking to Linux, after

several years of playing within a dual boot box which is no longer

dual boot but just Ubuntu.

Here are my reasons (or at least some of them):

1) I am a poor ******* who can't afford any more AV junk for Windows.
2) I am tired of removing and removing... spyware, trojans and viruses from my computer and everyone else's in my family.
3) It does what I need it to do without any tears or whining.
4) Not because windows sucks, but because Windows is not ready for general population, unless you are a masochist who likes been used and abused.
5) I like the idea of being able to walk in my house naked. What I do not like is the idea of someone looking into what I have in my computer without my permission.
6) I am not gonna buy a computer for $400.00 USD knowing that I am also gonna have to pay for Microsoft, not to mention Mac is way overpriced.
7) IT IS FREE AND IT WORKS GREAT.

P.S.

All of these after spending hours and hours of not being able to remove a freaking virus from my sister's computer.

MerlinX420
September 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I'm trying to convince more people to switch. It's the gaming support that is the biggest issue. One thing i do know is that if i knew about this linux distro before I would have been using it. The people who "want" to switch but are to afraid don't realize how much better it actually is.

Salpiche
September 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
The people who "want" to switch but are to afraid don't realize how much better it actually is.

AMEN!

karellen
September 13th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I try to show the pros and cons of Linux/Windows to everyone that I want to "convert" (even if I hate the connotation of the word, it sounds like some religious dogmatism etc)

spitball
September 13th, 2007, 06:41 AM
I try to show the pros and cons of Linux/Windows to everyone that I want to "convert" (even if I hate the connotation of the word, it sounds like some religious dogmatism etc)

Maybe it is...

eentonig
September 13th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I don't go out and convert people.

But I do point out the benefits in using Linux to the people who are interested in my computer.

sstusick
September 13th, 2007, 06:48 AM
I really wish people would try it out, take their time with it, be patient, instead of giving up the moment something goes wrong... calling it too hard... and then crying and crawling back to Windows.
There is NOTHING hard about it, it is just DIFFERENT to what they are used to.

Friend of mine installed Ubuntu and used it for less than a day and already has deleted it, didn't even give Ubuntu a chance... ugh just sickening to me.

Sorry for the rant...lol

karellen
September 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM
I really wish people would try it out, take their time with it, be patient, instead of giving up the moment something goes wrong... calling it too hard... and then crying and crawling back to Windows.
There is NOTHING hard about it, it is just DIFFERENT to what they are used to.

Friend of mine installed Ubuntu and used it for less than a day and already has deleted it, didn't even give Ubuntu a chance... ugh just sickening to me.

Sorry for the rant...lol

I beg to differ. it's not just about the willingness to learn new things and so on. if your hardware is not properly supported, it's damn hard. maybe too hard and frustrating to make the change worthy...
yes, I'm a pragmatist :)

Tautoa
September 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM

I can beat that :) I gave my friend a Live CD to try on his laptop, which is currently running XP...
He has so far refused to try it, on the basis that Windows takes too long to boot up, so he doesn't want to turn the laptop off...

He's one of these people who thinks that leaving a computer on constantly uses less power than if he were to keep turning it off and on again...

I'm currently building a PC for him... he thinks it's gonna come with XP installed.... he's in for a surprise :)

ukripper
September 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I can beat that :) I gave my friend a Live CD to try on his laptop, which is currently running XP...
He has so far refused to try it, on the basis that Windows takes too long to boot up, so he doesn't want to turn the laptop off...

He's one of these people who thinks that leaving a computer on constantly uses less power than if he were to keep turning it off and on again...

I'm currently building a PC for him... he thinks it's gonna come with XP installed.... he's in for a surprise :)

That is more like...Surprise attack!!! I bet he will lash out on you if he is into games....:lolflag:

Tautoa
September 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I bet he will lash out on you if he is into games....:lolflag:

Yeah, good point... he's a big Age of Empires player...

I'm also gonna write him a warranty for his computer, as a joke (he's a law student), which is gonna say "Warranty expires immediately on installation of Microsoft products"...

I'd love to see what the MS legal team would make of that :)

orange2k
September 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Just found something interesting:

There's an old joke that begins like this: What if operating systems were airlines?

* Windows Airlines -- The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

* Mac Airlines -- All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers and ticket agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are told you don't need to know, don't want to know, and would you please return to your seat and watch the movie.

* Linux Airlines -- Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, 'You had to do what with the seat?'

Overbyte
September 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM
A gaming machine running on Linux, oooh sweet.

The powerful UNIX security model, the rock-hard stability which made it a choice for mission critical servers around the world...perfect choice for gaming.

I was once a Windows zealot myself. The major problem is most people are used to doing computer work on 15+ years of Windows...so they have a stubborn mind when trying out other OSes.

All people need is just an open mind...a willingness to try something new. Not the "try for 5 mins" but dual-booting for months...we all didn't get so darn used to Windows for just 5 mins of our lives, right? If after those months they still don't like it, fine.

Like the thread title says: "I'm sticking to it!"

Just my 2 cents :)

sstusick
September 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM

:lolflag:

NIT006.5
September 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha! That really cracks me up :lolflag:

sstusick
September 13th, 2007, 11:47 AM
All people need is just an open mind...a willingness to try something new. Not the "try for 5 mins" but dual-booting for months...we all didn't get so darn used to Windows for just 5 mins of our lives, right? If after those months they still don't like it, fine. I couldn't agree more :D

ukripper
September 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
"Warranty expires immediately on installation of Microsoft products"...

:lolflag: good one

DoctorMO
September 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
"Warranty expires immediately on installation of Microsoft products"...

Your in the same boat as other PC builders, even the big ones. the laws require you to support your manufacture of products to ensure that they are of merchantable quality. this means if the hardware dies you still need to deal with it.