PDA

View Full Version : Staying Awake by Switching Brain Hemispheres

RAV TUX
September 13th, 2007, 03:45 AM
New sleep-deprivation record holder Tony Wright tells Gelf he's altered his brain chemistry and thus can stay up indefinitely.
Adam Conner-Simons

On May 14, Tony Wright walked into the Studio Bar in Penzance, England. For 11 days and two hours, the long-haired horticulturist stayed there, playing pool, talking with other customers, and taking notes. One thing he didn't do, though, was sleep. When he finally left, he had broken the unofficial world record for sleep deprivation that has stood for more than 40 years.
read the rest of the article here:
http://www.gelfmagazine.com/archives/staying_awake_by_switching_brain_hemispheres.php

blithen
September 13th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Must...get...super...power....

frup
September 13th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I've long thought that this was a possibility but don't know how I could train myself to do this. If I could, I would have achieved the greatest quest in my life.

blithen
September 13th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I've long thought that this was a possibility but don't know how I could train myself to do this. If I could, I would have achieved the greatest quest in my life.
Imagine it...11 days of coding. Or gaming.
Or anything enjoyable in life...

dizee
September 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM
There's some species of dolphin that does this, I think it is the Indus dolphin. Would be pretty handy for a human to have that skill :)

ThinkBuntu
September 13th, 2007, 04:37 AM
I do it the old fashioned way, with coffee.

Coffee is the drink of the Gods.

loell
September 13th, 2007, 04:45 AM
surely that would have greatly affected his health ,

me wonders what side effects will be w/o having to sleep that long.

Wiebelhaus
September 13th, 2007, 04:51 AM
pfft , screw that - I love sleeping.

Sweet Spot
September 13th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Just wanna add that Albert Einstein... Loved nothing more than to sleep. He adored his REM state times.

SunnyRabbiera
September 13th, 2007, 04:57 AM
you know with the type of insomnia I get i bet i can beat that

blithen
September 13th, 2007, 05:29 AM
you know with the type of insomnia I get i bet i can beat that

That's not intentional though.