PDA

View Full Version : Wine Doors Review

Vadi
September 13th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Hello,

Wine Doors (clicky (http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/?page_id=2)) is a really good (so far) app that makes managing Wine Easier. A big plus for is it that it also has the repository-ish feature of Ubuntu, making installation of some (the repo is quite small) programs quite easy.

A question though. I've searched about on the forums, but couldn't get a concrete answer.

Is it a properly-coded app? Follows all standards, doesn't mess up your packages, etc.? (Yes, the example in mind is Automatix).

Need some tech answers here :)

ThinkBuntu
September 13th, 2007, 02:05 AM
It reminds me quite a bit of Crossover Office for Linux and Mac. I thought it was interesting that the latest Sabayon included it, but then again, Sabayon includes everything.

igknighted
September 13th, 2007, 02:11 AM
How is this legal? You just add winedoors and install a full version of photoshop or dreamweaver... it has nothing to do with installing things easier and everything to do with getting them for free...

Frak
September 13th, 2007, 02:13 AM
@igknighted, everything comes with its costs ;)

I never could get WineDoors to work right for me, it always screwed up one way or another.

igknighted
September 13th, 2007, 02:31 AM
@igknighted, everything comes with its costs ;)

I never could get WineDoors to work right for me, it always screwed up one way or another.

At least when installing things via wine you can never mess up your system. Hence it can never be dangerous like automatix. Anything wine installs is in a self-contained folder in your home folder. All you need to do is delete that one folder to start over.

Frak
September 13th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Yes, but some features of Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, and Photoshop are missing. Thus, to regain those features (if you need them), you must use XP, Vista, or OS X.

phrostbyte
September 13th, 2007, 02:35 AM
At least when installing things via wine you can never mess up your system. Hence it can never be dangerous like automatix. Anything wine installs is in a self-contained folder in your home folder. All you need to do is delete that one folder to start over.

Windows programs can "break out" via the Z: drive though.

vexorian
September 13th, 2007, 02:42 AM
But they would most likely try to mess up C: which is a totally worthless drive in WINE...

Edit: anything that can automatically install opera ought to be considered malware ... Although it is kind of odd, why would you want to install the Wine version of Opera considering there is a native version?

Vadi
September 13th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I didn't find Photoshop in wine-door's repository, but I did find Dreamweaver 8 - after poking about, I found out that there's a free version avialable, so it's not a problem.

So this just uses your existing wine installation - since I've never heard if wine messing up your comp, it's safe to assume wine doors, to a degree, won't either?

Polygon
September 13th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Windows programs can "break out" via the Z: drive though.

and do what? destroy the C drive (which is just under .wine)? Its a windows program, and therefore written for windows, so even if it did 'break out' it couldn't do anything as its trying to run windows commands in a linux enviroment... lol

unless it was specifically written for that purpose

mindtrick
September 13th, 2007, 02:52 AM
The project should be supported, at least for making the installation of Windows games easier. It can be a free alternative to Cedega and can gather more people to linux.

BLTicklemonster
September 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Is there a Winetools that works with the newest version of Wine? That always messes me up when I try to do a new install, and dork out and get the new version of wine, then winetools won't work.