PDA

View Full Version : Will Gusty fix suspend and hibernate issues?

JacobRogers
September 12th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Not sure where to put this, but do you think that Gusty will have better support for Suspend and Hibernate on laptops? And what other kind of goodies can we expect?

:guitar:

machoo02
September 12th, 2007, 11:04 PM
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2007-June/000304.html

Also check out the Development forum here on UF.

mech7
September 12th, 2007, 11:11 PM
i hope the swap partition does not need to be as large as your memory.. that realls sucks with much meomory :( especially when you hibernate and onl 10% or so i used :confused:

igknighted
September 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM
i hope the swap partition does not need to be as large as your memory.. that realls sucks with much meomory :( especially when you hibernate and onl 10% or so i used :confused:

You need this in windows or any other OS as well... its not a flaw in any os, but rather a simple fact of the act of hibernating.

If you are using 10% of your memory and having that much causes issues... you are better of removing some. Sell the rest on ebay or keep it in a drawer until there comes a time you do need it.

yatt
September 13th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Not sure where to put this, but do you think that Gusty will have better support for Suspend and Hibernate on laptops? And what other kind of goodies can we expect?

:guitar:
From what I've heard (and my knowledge on the subject is rather small), the biggest issue with suspend and hibernate is proprietary graphics.

You need this in windows or any other OS as well... its not a flaw in any os, but rather a simple fact of the act of hibernating.

If you are using 10% of your memory and having that much causes issues... you are better of removing some. Sell the rest on ebay or keep it in a drawer until there comes a time you do need it.I don't know about him, but I would never suspend with a big memory intensive app open. Most people at uni all suspend their laptops at an idle desktop, so if he had higher than 10% ram usage at an idle desktop there would be a problem.