PDA

View Full Version : Audio adapters

mikeize
September 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Hi, not sure where to post this, so I figured I'd post here.

I just built a new desktop, and I'm trying to hook my existing computer speakers to it. The problem is the interface. It is a 5.1 surround sound setup (2 front, 2 rear, center, sub), with three jacks to plug in to the computer. My motherboard said it supports 5.1, so I didn't get a soundcard, but it only has line in, line out and digital out! So I can't plug in my speakers! I've looked around for an adapter, but I can't seem to find what I need. I'm only getting external sound cards and such. I feel like I just need a little $5 adapter to plug into the digital out. Any suggestions as to where and if I can get such a thing?

-mike

Bungo Pony
September 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM
The best thing you could probably do is plug your 2 front speaker into it. You could probably get an adapter to hook up your rear speakers as well, but it would only be in stereo instead of surround. Your sub and center channels would be pretty useless since they're supposed to be decoded mono channels. Hooking them up would mess up your stereo sound.

If you want true surround sound, you'll either need a sound card that supports it, or an amp that will decode the stereo channels.

BTW, just because your motherboard "supports" it, it doesn't mean it's built in. It's kinda like the whole "vista ready" debacle.

mips
September 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
It's going to cost you way more than $5 as you need a digital to analogue conververter. For now you should be able to use the stereo line out for the front two channels.

Google: 5.1 digital to analogue converter

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&subcategory=136&product=9468
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/audio_toslink_adapt.html#pof-820
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Processors/Technics/TechnicsSH-AC300.php

Try eBay or just get yourself an entire AV receiver/amp that has Digital inputs or try a pawn shop. Even if it is old it will probably provide better sound quality. Make sure it support DD5.1 & DTS though.
http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Home-Audio_Receivers_W0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ94903QQs brsrtZdQQsocmdZListingItemList

What Motherboard do you have, Make/Model ?

mikeize
September 12th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I have an Intel DP965LT motherboard. I also took the old SBLive card out of my old Dell Dimension 4100. That has the 3 outputs, but it never supported the 2 back speakers in that comp (don't know if it was the card or the mobo...). But in the new machine, I get no sound at all!

So taking your advice, I plugged one into the audio out jack on the new mobo, and I've got center, sub, and both front-- but no rear.

Better than silence, for sure, but with the new comp, I was hoping to finally use all the speakers! So I guess my question now is how to get the SBLive card to work. I tried all kinds of stuff-- checking all the boxes, selecting my device (I think!), etc. What do you think?

-mike

edit: also the speaker plugs look like male headphone jacks, I don't think they would plug into a stereo receiver.

mips
September 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM
So I guess my question now is how to get the SBLive card to work.

Model / version ?

Be specific with your questions & information you provide, there are about 10 different Live! cards made by Creative and we can't smell which version you have ;)

mikeize
September 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I think it's SBLive! Value [CT4780]. If that doesn't sound right, could you tell me where to look? Thanks again.

-mike

mips
September 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
edit: also the speaker plugs look like male headphone jacks, I don't think they would plug into a stereo receiver.

There is more than one way around that.

mips
September 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I think it's SBLive! Value [CT4780]. If that doesn't sound right, could you tell me where to look? Thanks again.

-mike

Look at the card or box. Then go to the creative wesite for your country and veryfy the name/model.

mikeize
September 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Okay, seems like this is it: Creative Sound Card Live 5.1 Digital CT4780-PC Desktop

img:

http://www.crash-bg.com/drugi_kompiutri/creative_ct4780.jpg

-mike

mips
September 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
You will NEVER get 6 speakers connected to that card as it is only a 4 channel card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Live!
http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TSD/2387/AudioSBLive.pdf
http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TSD/2389/sblive.pdf

mikeize
September 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Okay, takes care of that! lol Thanks for walking me through that. I guess I'll check into one of those converter things. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my dumb questions. I always appreciate the help I get here.

-mike

mikeize
September 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Actually, I don't think that's it. That card looks different, and I believe it is a Live! 5.1, or possibly a Live! 5.1 Digital (Dell) (Since I got it out of an old Dell). In that case, shouldn't it be possible?

-mike

mips
September 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Okay, takes care of that! lol Thanks for walking me through that. I guess I'll check into one of those converter things. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my dumb questions. I always appreciate the help I get here.

-mike

I just had a look at your motherboard documentation and the converder wont work on it as your motherboard has a HD Audio Link connecter and not a normal SPDIF co-ax or optical connector. So skip the idea on the converter.

The audio jacks on your mother board are reassignable so you should be able to make them all inot lineout jacks. Read the manual and look in the BIOS to see if you can change them there. I suspect though that it is done via software which I don't now if support for it exists in Linux.

mips
September 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Actually, I don't think that's it. That card looks different, and I believe it is a Live! 5.1, or possibly a Live! 5.1 Digital (Dell) (Since I got it out of an old Dell). In that case, shouldn't it be possible?

-mike

You being uncertain is of no help in me trying to assist you. I cannot begin to formulate a reply if you are just guessing about the information you are providing.

Take the card out of the PC, take a photo of the front and back and record all writings on the card. Post this here for all to see.

Unfortunately I can no longer assist you as I don't know what I'm dealing with.

mikeize
September 12th, 2007, 09:00 PM
OMG! Haha

I got it! What you said about making them all line out-- I looked in Volume control>switches, and checked line in as output, and mic as output! All systems go!!!!! Awesome, thank you!

-mike

mips
September 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM
OMG! Haha

I got it! What you said about making them all line out-- I looked in Volume control>switches, and checked line in as output, and mic as output! All systems go!!!!! Awesome, thank you!

-mike

Glad to hear you are up and running. You should be able to use the two front panel audio connectors for mic & headset.

cprofitt
December 31st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I have an Intel DP965LT motherboard. I also took the old SBLive card out of my old Dell Dimension 4100. That has the 3 outputs, but it never supported the 2 back speakers in that comp (don't know if it was the card or the mobo...). But in the new machine, I get no sound at all!

So taking your advice, I plugged one into the audio out jack on the new mobo, and I've got center, sub, and both front-- but no rear.

Better than silence, for sure, but with the new comp, I was hoping to finally use all the speakers! So I guess my question now is how to get the SBLive card to work. I tried all kinds of stuff-- checking all the boxes, selecting my device (I think!), etc. What do you think?

-mike

Your motherboard should allow you to have surround sound -- mine does in Vista and in openSUSE. I am researching Debian/Ubuntu about this right now. I will post back if I find the 'solution'.