PDA

View Full Version : What brand of processors do you use?

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I was interested in finding out what processor brands were used most and decided to try and find out.

So it would be great if you could post the specific type of processor you use along with a brief testimonial of your processor and what's good and bad about it in your own opinion.

Myself I use an Intel Pentium4 HT processor. I've had both good and bad times with it, but the biggest fault in it is that it heats up a lot(usually to a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius) even with the three cooling fans it has which ofcourse means it heats up like hell, uses up a lot of electricity and provides nice music along the way;). Ofcourse this may be because my processor was purchased a few months after HT was introduced so this maybe the problem:).

I'm sorry if the poll only gives you the choices of Intel, AMD and VIA specifically. If you do use a processor brand not specified in the poll could you be kind enough to share it with us. Thanks.:)

ynnhoj
September 12th, 2007, 11:54 AM
my computer has an amd athlon xp2000+ (~1.6ghz), and it has worked just fine all along (this computer is five years plus a few months old). i've never had any issues with overheating, or anything else.

if i were to buy new parts now, though, i think i'd go with an intel chip. this isn't the sort of thing that i'd always stay with one brand for -- i'd just buy whatever seems to be the best at the time..

M$LOL
September 12th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Intel FTW.

insane_alien
September 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM
atm i like intel. but VIA are really god if you want something efficient and not so high powered.

if you want sheer speed, intel atm
if you want speed for cheap amd atm
if you want efficiency, not bothered about speed, VIA atm

Arwen
September 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Both :-)
In both of my desktops I have Intel Pentium4 @2GHz and 3GHz(HT-64bit) in my new one and I also have a laptop which has an AMD Turion 64bit single core processor @1.8GHz.I'm satisfied with all of them!

if i were to buy new parts now, though, i think i'd go with an intel chip. this isn't the sort of thing that i'd always stay with one brand for -- i'd just buy whatever seems to be the best at the time.. +1!
Although for the time being it's intel's monopoly so maybe I would wait for amd's phenom so I could really make a comparison instead of simply choosing among core2duo processors.

misfitpierce
September 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM
AMD ftw hoorah

mdsmedia
September 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
When I bought my first notebook 5 years ago I was attracted to AMD, so the Athlon processor I got suited me. The problems I had over the 3 years with that notebook may have had nothing to do with the Athlon processor, but it seemed to all be overheating problems.

When I replaced the notebook under warranty after 3 years HP tried to tell me that the Celeron processor was a step up from the Athlon, so I was getting an upgrade. I corrected the lady on that and got a Centrino (not sure but I think it's 1.8MHz).

I wanted to support AMD but I heard there were problems with overheating.....after I bought the notebook.... and maybe that was the problem. Since I've had the new machine I have to say that I've been very pleased with it.

RedGreen
September 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I have always been a little bit of an AMD fanboy.

In my desktop I have a (dual core) AMD Athlon X2 2.0 GHz

It runs really well , does not produce much heat at all (nothing compared to my experience with Intels) and gives me enough processing power to do just about anything I could want.

The biggest thing I have noticed in the change to a dual core CPU has been multitasking, if im in a game I can alt+tab and do some internet browsing and IM'ing and alt+tab again back into my game with very little wait time or inconvenience.

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I have one more testimonial as well, which concerns the old PII processor I've had 2 years ago.

Before I bought my HT processor, I've been using a 5 year old P2 processor with MMX, and I must say that I've had a better run with that processor than my newer HT because even if I use that processor for a day it will never overheat even though it had only one cooling fan, and it even ran XP and a good number of quality games which were famous 2 years ago. So I guess I am missing my old processor in a way but definitely love the speed boost of the new processors. So in way a quote could be used:-

"Old is gold but new is platinum"

But hell, I still need to give AMD a try.:)

mcduck
September 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM
All brands. I choose my hardware by price and performance, not by manufacturer. :D

Nano Geek
September 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Core 2 Duo

Rhubarb
September 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM
All brands. I choose my hardware by price and performance, not by manufacturer. :D
Same here ;)

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM
mcduck:

All brands. I choose my hardware by price and performance, not by manufacturer.

I understand that, I'm that way myself(in a way), what I'm asking is what you use now not what you support( the poll asks what you like to use currently).:)

dynamicv
September 12th, 2007, 01:06 PM
My computers are both Power PC Macs, even though one runs Ubuntu.

So:-

IBM PowerPC 970FX

&

Motorola PowerPC 7455

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I've heard of Mac books, what brand of processors do they use?

forrestcupp
September 12th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Why isn't Cyrix on the list? Remember them?

rustybronco
September 12th, 2007, 01:16 PM
AMD 1800+
AMD 2400+
laptops pIII 650mhz, 366 mhz, 300 mhz, can't change them
server pIII 800mhz trying to find another one to install (e-bay)

ukripper
September 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I own Intel dual core but my support goes to AMD X2 all the way -FAST, EFFICIENT and CHEAP!!

Laptops -
SEMPRON 1.8
CELERON D 3GHZ

In which I found Sempron faster.

PmDematagoda
forrestcupp:

Why isn't Cyrix on the list? Remember them?

As it is Cyrix is now VIA. Well that's what I got from wikipeidia, you can get the whole thing over at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrix

danny joe ritchie
I have an Intel Celeron D 3300+ and an AMD Sempron 1.8, very little difference in speed, The Sempron does tend to heat up a little though?

dynamicv
September 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I've heard of Mac books, what brand of processors do they use?
MacBooks use Intel Core 2 Duos. All Macs are Intel based these days.

It's just mine are getting on a bit...

ukripper
September 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I have an Intel Celeron D 3300+ and an AMD Sempron 1.8, very little difference in speed, The Sempron does tend to heat up a little though?

My Sempron is running Edgy and far more cooler than my Sony vaio with Celeron D 3Ghz runing Feisty

My conky always shows 45 C for Sempron and on Celeron it shows 57-60C idle

danny joe ritchie
September 12th, 2007, 01:31 PM
My Sempron is running Edgy and far more cooler than my Sony vaio with Celeron D 3Ghz runing Feisty

My conky always shows 45 C for Sempron and on Celeron it shows 57-60C idle
Thats interesting, I have just the opposite!

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM
dynamicv:

It's just mine are getting on a bit...

What's the processor you have?

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Another testimonial, probably a weird one:-

My mother has a Compaq laptop which has Intel Core 2 Duo with 512mb of RAM, and the wierd thing is XP takes atleast 15 minutes to start up properly.:popcorn:

ubuntukerala1980
September 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Amd :guitar:

dynamicv
September 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
What's the processor you have?
Already answered here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3352173&postcount=14)

The models are an iMac G5 running OSX and a PowerBook G4 running Ubuntu.

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry dynamicv, I just don't see the specific processors used, just Motorola and IBM.

Thyme
September 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Using AMD currently.

xtang
September 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I get the impression that Intel is a bit ahead of the game right now, and I like them anyway because of Nvidia's good driver support.

Circus-Killer
September 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
it would of been nice to make it a multiple selection poll, cos i know most people have more than one computer, and often like to use different processes depending on the different computers' purposes.

having said that, since my very first computer i've always used intel. not really outta preference, but rather because thats what the computers came with.

about a month ago i bought a laptop which is running an AMD cpu, which is the first time ive used AMD. i like how it performs. but still dont have a major preference over the two. (i personally wouldnt touch VIA).

at work, my pc has an intel core 2 duo, which i must say is frikkin nice. i definately like them. so basically, to sum it up, i dont mind whether if its AMD or intel, unless ive got a very specific purpose on a machine, then ide just choose the most appropriate one to do the job.

dynamicv
September 12th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry dynamicv, I just don't see the specific processors used, just Motorola and IBM.
The PowerBook has a Motorola PowerPC 7455 @867MHz. The iMac has an IBM PowerPC 970FX @1.9GHz.

All Mac CPUs used to be made by either IBM or Motorola.

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I agree that the Motorola may be outdated now, but the IBM still can be used quite well.

dynamicv
September 12th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Totally. I've no plans to replace the iMac any time soon. The PowerBook will be replaced by a MacBook in the coming months however. It's nearly five years old now and beginning to show its age hardware-wise, having been in daily use.

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I had the same thing with my PII processor. It showed itself to be really good for 5 years, before I sold it.:)

forrestcupp
September 12th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I use the 6510 microprocessor designed by MOS Technology, Inc. I have a VIC-II graphics processor and SID for sound.

JBAlaska
September 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM
2- AMD Athlon64
1- PIII
1- P4
1- Celeron
1- Motorola (in a old G3 AIO Running yellowdog)

My favorite's are the AMD's

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
The VIA poll looks very poorly right now, isn't there anyone using VIA?
(This is a bad outlook for VIA aka Cyrix)

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Hey, does anyone know what processors are used in Sun Sparc computers?

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Note:-

To those that have Cyrix processors please know that the name of those processors now is VIA, so if you have Cyrix vote for VIA.

Thanks.

markp1989
September 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I use a Celeron D 3.2ghz, runs very well

dynamicv
September 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Hey, does anyone know what processors are used in Sun Sparc computers?
The computers are named after the range of processors they contain. More info down this Wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARC)

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I've heard about L3 cache for processers, does anyone know if such a thing would be available for desktops or laptops, since L3 cache would make a good difference.:)

jrusso2
September 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I usually stick to Intel because its very reliable, I never had an Intel CPU go bad.

Also its very linux compatible . Especially the motherboards. The times I have used AMD the problem was not so much with the CPU as with the buggy chipsets on the motherboards. VIA and SiS being the worst offenders.

I have had issues with VIA chipets and USB and AGP and not working with certain hardware on windows.

dynamicv
September 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I've heard about L3 cache for processers, does anyone know if such a thing would be available for desktops or laptops, since L3 cache would make a good difference.:)
L3 cache is a lot less important now than it used to be. Wind back a few years and the processors used to run at >10x the speed of the motherboards. So it made sense for the processor to store regularly accessed routines in a local cache rather than in the computer's main memory area, which was the other side of the motherboard bottleneck.

These days the motherboards pretty much run at the same speed as the memory chips L3 cache would use, so the bottleneck is far less significant (and virtually non-existent with AMD chips).

PmDematagoda
September 12th, 2007, 05:22 PM
So motherboard technology has caught up to the quick processors.:popcorn:

Thanks for your explanation dynamicv.:)

BDNiner
September 12th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Check my signature. I also just install ubuntu on a Dell inspiron 1100, which has a celeron processor. I prefer the AMD processors, but my ubuntu studio on the P4 works very well.

ErusGuleilmus
September 12th, 2007, 09:47 PM
AMD all the way!

lisati
September 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
My main desktop has an AMD (Sempron), my laptop an Intel (Celeron M) and my old Win98SE machine an intel (not sure which flavour)

Plus a couple of old Commodore 128 machines gathering dust - these are dual processors. The second is a Z80, can't remember what the main one is.

nowshining
September 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Intel P4 512 kb L2 cache 2.66ghz NO HT - Can be Crap at times - Sometimes Multitasking makes games slow and oh don't get me started the Update Manager in Ubuntu takes up 100 percent of CPU at times on this thing and then things are really slow and sometimes when downloading from the sources to see what updates are there, altho I think I fixed that because arno-iptables-firewall connections were too high over 16 thousand connections at once - I have dialup so I cut it down to 48.... Altho since I got Linux the P4 has been better than when XP was the Master of it.

Got it with a Dell 4600i Dimension 4600i which I hear is rare.

here's a good link about why the P4 sucks and it also gives some great inside info. on the P4 some info. is old tho..

http://www.emulators.com/docs/pentium_1.htm

Anyway besides the 100 percent cpu at times - it's great.. :) again multitasking is soso..

tbroderick
September 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM
My desktop died over the weekend. It was AMD Athlon XP 2500. After much thought on AMD vs Intel vs Via, I decided to make the switch from desktop to notebook, and bought a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 for $699. I really don't need a dual core processor, but figured it would be something I could grow into. Reviews seemed to favor Intel's Core 2 Duo processors over AMD's Turion 64 X2.

As for Via, it's on the list of things to buy. I plan on building a small media center PC. Right now, the plan is to go with something like this (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=473). Small, fanless, low power, C7 Eden.

PmDematagoda
September 13th, 2007, 11:43 AM
How are the SiS processors? I mean I've heard about Cyrix, AMD and Intel and now Motorola and IBM but I would like to know how it is (SiS) from a person who used it.:)

PmDematagoda
September 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM
tbroderick:

As for Via, it's on the list of things to buy. I plan on building a small media center PC. Right now, the plan is to go with something like this. Small, fanless, low power, C7 Eden.

It is a rather nice and modest chipset with a good bit of power, but is it enough for a media center because a media center does use a good bit of resources doesn't it?:guitar:

LookTJ
September 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM
an intel Pent M

forrestcupp
September 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM
How are the SiS processors? I mean I've heard about Cyrix, AMD and Intel and now Motorola and IBM but I would like to know how it is (SiS) from a person who used it.:)

Do they actually have processors, or are they just chipsets for motherboards? I'm pretty sure they don't make processors for desktops or laptops. Just motherboard chipsets.

the.dark.lord
September 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Core 2 Duo

same over 'ere

PmDematagoda
September 13th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Ooops, my bad. Thanks for the correction forrestcupp:). I had a suspicion SiS didn't make processors when I went to their site but wasn't sure whether that was correct, so thanks.:lolflag:

PmDematagoda
September 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I never knew VIA was used so little. Aren't there any VIA processor users?

igknighted
September 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I only build with AMD, partially due to my familiarity with the products and partially because they tend to be better values (performance per dollar). I have nothing against intel though, so if they offered a processor with the performance I need within my budget then I would at least consider the offering.

LowSky
September 13th, 2007, 04:46 PM
My personal choice has been AMD since I got a K6-400mhz

My latest is an Athlon 64 (single core) 3700+ San Diego

My work Laptop is a Core Duo and its pretty fast but only runs windows

It is a rather nice and modest chipset with a good bit of power, but is it enough for a media center because a media center does use a good bit of resources doesn't it?:guitar:

Media Center that are used just to watch movies or music really dont need more than just a 1GHz Processor, but RAM is really important... If you want to encode forget about VIA, but if your just watching movies, its perfect. Its really great for car PCs because the mother board can run on the low wattage DC power Very easily

wana10
September 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM
my laptop runs on a coreduo
my desktop runs on a 64-x2...i built both of them
where's the poll option for both?

Kingsley
September 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I had the craziest dream during my nap today. It involved me randomly spending $1200 on a laptop with an AMD processor just so I could compare it to my Intel laptop. Then I realized I don't have $1200 and woke up feeling scared.

Anyway, back to the topic. I'm surprised that AMD processors are equally as popular as Intels. Good ole competition.

forrestcupp
September 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I never knew VIA was used so little. Aren't there any VIA processor users?

Well, lots of people use VIA chipsets in their motherboards, but most of those motherboards are for AMD or Intel processors.

ukripper
September 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Looks like AMD is ruling the POLL afterall.

arsenic23
September 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Generally, as a rule I buy from whatever company can give me the most bang for my buck unless there is another compelling reason to purchase one over the other. If both companies are equal I normally buy from the underdog, 'specially when it comes to AMD and Intell. It has always seemed to me that AMD keeps Intell honest and moving in the right direction.

During the P4 error I did not purchase or even recomend a single Intell (Desktop) chip, so right now the majority of my PCs run AMD CPUs while my laptop and small form factor boxes are running the P4m(s). If I had to build myself a new system today, though, I'd more then likely be putting an Intell e6600 in it, or something similar.

Anyway, I'm voting AMD since you could say I have a mild tendancy to prefer them over Intell and you'd have to do some serious convincing to get me to put anything made by VIA in one of my PCs.

-------------------------------------------------------
On a side note, Wana10, awsome avatar. I think your the first person I've seen on any forum I visit sporting a Gurren Lagann avatar of any kind.

hardyn
September 13th, 2007, 07:42 PM
desktop 1 AMD - athlon64 3400
desktop 2 AMD - althlon xp 3000
desktop 3 AMD - athlon xp 2400
notebook Intel - pentium m 2100

devilmyarse
September 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
my laptop runs on a coreduo
my desktop runs on a 64-x2...i built both of them
where's the poll option for both?

I concur. I have a macbook pro with a core2-duo and a desktop with Athlon-XP. I have more intel cpu's than AMD but I don't 'use' them any more...

Tom Mann
September 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM
AMD. My last PC was a P4 HT 3GHz. (I switch HT off)

My music apps suffered massive CPU usage with only few plugins, I had 3 fans in the case to keep the thing cool too. Noisy (Which for me means you can hear it full stop)

Now I have an AMD X2 3800+ running with 1 single fan at 800RPM (You cannot hear the thing) and apart from the smallest of hums the thing is completely silent.
Also music apps play ball a lot more now

:guitar:

sloggerkhan
September 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
For sub- $150 (and definately sub $100) desktop processors, AMD is the way to go last I checked. I have an AMD in my laptop, a single core turion, and I've always been glad because many people I know with the pentium m 2ghz or so that was about equivalent at the time I got my comp had overheating problems.

I think the reason I like AMD is because there processors are good quality and I am a cheapskate. The other thing is that I HATE legacy ports (no good reason for this, but I haven't owned a computer with serial or ps/2 or parallel ports or a floppy drive and I got my first comp around 1999), and for a long time intel mobos always had every hideous and ancient legacy port imaginable.
Right now the $180 and up Core 2s do seem to outperform the AMDs in those price ranges.

hobieone
September 13th, 2007, 08:57 PM
i alway normally go with amd due to the price and is generally cheaper than intel and performance is just as good if not better is certian cases. even tho its hard to tell as which is better that seems to change every other month. both are very good cpu's. so in my case go with is cheaper that alway happens to be amd. altho i did have some issue with overheating on the intel when i last used them which was a pentium 2 or maybe a 3 that was in that dang old slot design vs. a socket.
show you how long since i last built a system using and intel cpu

hobieone
September 13th, 2007, 09:03 PM
For sub- $150 (and definately sub $100) desktop processors, AMD is the way to go last I checked. I have an AMD in my laptop, a single core turion, and I've always been glad because many people I know with the pentium m 2ghz or so that was about equivalent at the time I got my comp had overheating problems.

I think the reason I like AMD is because there processors are good quality and I am a cheapskate. The other thing is that I HATE legacy ports (no good reason for this, but I haven't owned a computer with serial or ps/2 or parallel ports or a floppy drive and I got my first comp around 1999), and for a long time intel mobos always had every hideous and ancient legacy port imaginable.
Right now the $180 and up Core 2s do seem to outperform the AMDs in those price ranges.
thatw as the case till amd started releasing chips on thier am2 slots which semm to run alot cooler than a core 2 duo plus am2 cpu were designed to be over clocked and are coming with some realy nice heatsinks. there been reports of people who obver clocked amd x2 dual core 6000+ up 8ghz with the srock heat sink that came with the cpu and ecellent case cooling. but on the other side i expect intel to jump ahead again in monthor two and be better and then amd will jump ahead of intel 2 months later and so forth :)

tbroderick
September 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Media Center that are used just to watch movies or music really dont need more than just a 1GHz Processor, but RAM is really important... If you want to encode forget about VIA, but if your just watching movies, its perfect. Its really great for car PCs because the mother board can run on the low wattage DC power Very easily

You can add a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 350. It has a built in hardware encoder/decoder. That's my plan, eventually.

tbroderick
September 14th, 2007, 07:39 AM
My desktop died over the weekend. It was AMD Athlon XP 2500. After much thought on AMD vs Intel vs Via, I decided to make the switch from desktop to notebook, and bought a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 for $699. I really don't need a dual core processor, but figured it would be something I could grow into. Reviews seemed to favor Intel's Core 2 Duo processors over AMD's Turion 64 X2.

I canceled my order in favor of the cheaper AMD powered Inspiron 1501. :oops:

ukripper
September 14th, 2007, 09:30 AM
thatw as the case till amd started releasing chips on thier am2 slots which semm to run alot cooler than a core 2 duo plus am2 cpu were designed to be over clocked and are coming with some realy nice heatsinks. there been reports of people who obver clocked amd x2 dual core 6000+ up 8ghz with the srock heat sink that came with the cpu and ecellent case cooling. but on the other side i expect intel to jump ahead again in monthor two and be better and then amd will jump ahead of intel 2 months later and so forth :)

You sure they overclocked to 8GHZ or just was typo? i am really struggling to find any sources with 8GHZ OC of X2s. Could you point me to some? cheers

PmDematagoda
September 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Tom Mann:-

My last PC was a P4 HT 3GHz. (I switch HT off)

Why did you switch HT off? It's supposed to be the main reason you are paying for the processor in the first place isn't it?

Tom Mann:-

I had 3 fans in the case to keep the thing cool too. Noisy (Which for me means you can hear it full stop)

Same case here, my HT has 3 fans as well. It seems to me that Intel decided to teach just about every HT CPU on how to sing(Badly);), in addition to their constant over heating.

But what about Pentium D? I've heard that it's the later version of the Pentium 4 HT processor, is that correct?

P.S. For anyone who don't know how the Intel HT's sing. It's like a very long and loud monotonous song written by a guy who spent his whole life in a very loud area(maybe inhabited by a banshee), who was bored to bits and decided to write a song about his life.

Efros
September 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Although I like to use AMD I have been forced to buy a Q6600 due to AMD's complete screwup of their business strategy over the last year or so. This is the first Intel CPU I have used since the heady days of the Dual Celeron 300's oced to 600 on an ABit BP6 mobo. Quad coreness is good although I haven't yet been able to get Ubuntu onto that platform due to driver issues with the mobo.

stmiller
September 14th, 2007, 05:05 PM
AMD X2 and Motorola 7455 (G4).

Someone asked about huge L3 cache, and the G4 processors have this (a 2MB L3).
On one early geekbench benchmark the G4 processors beat the G5s, though could be because of the way geekbench was coded at that time.

http://www.geekpatrol.ca/2006/01/geekbench-comparison/

What’s surprising here is that the Quad Power Mac G5 was beaten by the Dual Power Mac G4 and the Mac Mini. I know the G4 has more cache (256KB L2 and 2MB L3 per CPU) and more integer units than the G5 (the G4 has three simple and one complex, while the G5 has two), but I still didn’t expect it to do better than a G5 at twice the clock speed. John’s suggested that Blowfish uses simple operations and can keep all four integer units on the G4 busy, which would explain how the G4 is able to outperform the G5.

dada1958
September 14th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Athlon X2 3800+
PIII 1 GHz server
PIII 850 MHz laptop
Motorola G4 800 MHz iMac

PmDematagoda
September 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM
My mother has a Compaq laptop and I feel that the performance it's currrently giving can be improved so is it possible to change the processor, RAM and hard disks in a laptop?

maverick78
September 15th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I use an AMD Athlon XP 4200+ Processor. I've been happy with the performance of the chip. It was my first dual core processor and I have been pleased with how I can multitask things like P2P fire sharing, gaming, DVD burning, etc. If I had to buy a processor today I would buy an Intel Core 2 processor, because I think they are the best performing chips for your money right now.

Sunflower1970
September 15th, 2007, 03:00 AM
All Pentiums: PII, P4M, and P4.

Been quite happy with them all

jimrz
September 15th, 2007, 03:10 AM
server - dual PIII 866's
desktop1 - core2duo E6600
laptop1 - Pentium M 1.8 Ghz
desktop2 - PIII 1 Ghz
laptop2 - PIII 500 Mhz
other - dual PIII 733's

PmDematagoda
September 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I've got a question, when I tried looking around OSX, I came upon an article that said that Mac OSX works only on Apple computers, is that true?

nowshining
September 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM
well actually if I remember correctly Apple uses Intel Processors now so the newest Apple OS may work on PCs which I do believe so..

PmDematagoda
September 15th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks nowshining.:)

By the way, did you manage to find out if your processor is either HT or not HT?

%hMa@?b<C
September 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM
i have AMD Opteron 165. Excellent price, speed, and efficiency!

nowshining
September 15th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks nowshining.:)

By the way, did you manage to find out if your processor is either HT or not HT?

well ht=on did nothing however acpi=ht in the boot grub did wonders - I think it was locked, however still NO BIOS support however now the boot up after Grub runs quicker and it does seem a bit quicker - no two processors in the monitor tho however again it is a bit faster.. :P oh and now when booting up I see and I never saw this before

Doing WACOM SETUP

the forum I found it on in in my other forum..

nowshining
September 15th, 2007, 12:46 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=550640&page=3

nowshining
September 15th, 2007, 12:48 PM
by the way locked by Intel themselves and I just read that WACOM is a Tablet thing ?? why the quickness on a desktop tho and why would it then come up after that is a mystery to me.. WACOM in a google search is what I did..

PmDematagoda
September 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Maybe Intel locked it because the mainboard or processor wasn't HT compatible. Though it's a very small chance.

nowshining
September 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I read about that, and I believe u said that before, however I found a forum where a supposed company found a way to enable HT on non HT enabled CPUs, by soldering a chp or something somewhere on the cpu itself or between it and the mainboard..... SO I do believe it is HT enabled, also this CPU I have seems Ultra Rare or the Exactl Dell I have very few google hits actually have it, :) I found one more that had this exact same setup - incl .the fx 5200 that was bought afterwards odd really and again very little on my particular setup - Dell more than likely disabled it in the BIOS is more likely a chance..

nowshining
September 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
oh I do think that action somewhat enabled it as said in the post shared jpg files folder and all jpgs in it show up faster than before.. :) so somehow it must of enabled it or half-way.. ?? but it also enabled WACOM which is again weird....

regomodo
September 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
i've always gone with AMD.

Started with Socket A Sempron 2800, then a s754 Sempron 3100+ and have just bought a s754 Athlon64 4000+ to max out this mobo

I've got a question, when I tried looking around OSX, I came upon an article that said that Mac OSX works only on Apple computers, is that true?

Not entirely true. Google "osx86". When Apple switched to Intel it allowed this to happen

Dr Small
September 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I use AMD Processors.
The first Intel I owned was a bad deal from the beginning, and freezes my other computer too often for my pleasure.

Dr Small

nowshining
September 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM
oh PmDematagoda

answer is

[ 16.789087] CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled

still trying tho.. :)

Spr0k3t
September 15th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I always go for the best bang for the buck at the time I'm building. Last system I built was AMD. Last system my wife built was Intel by my suggestion. My laptop is Intel. I'm not a directional fan.

mysticrider92
September 15th, 2007, 03:16 PM
You sure they overclocked to 8GHZ or just was typo? i am really struggling to find any sources with 8GHZ OC of X2s. Could you point me to some? cheers

I would say that is definitely a typo. The most I have ever seen a processor overclock is ~4.7ghz on a Core 2 Quad Q6600, and that is using liquid nitrogen (I think) to cool the thing to -120c.

My dad has been buying AMD processors for a while, and that is what I have in my desktop (an Athlon 64 3200+). AMD seems to put out a powerful processor for a very good price.

marshall.robert
September 15th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Haha, i have the craptacular Intel Celeron D.

Do not get one.

No really, don't.

It may be cheap and power efficient but it doesn't go anywhere near its registered clock speed.

BobCFC
September 15th, 2007, 06:26 PM
See sig. Got in May 2007 two weeks after launch of P35. Q6600 was more than double the price back then.. i knew the price cut was coming and couldn''t justify it. Later I will get the 3.33ghz 1333bus quad core when they are dirt cheap in a year or two, it will fit my motherboard built for penryn. At the 'moment I don't even need to overclock it's runing at stock which is plenty even for games. The E6600 has about 1Ghz overclock room with a decent cooler like mine.

basketcase
September 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Opteron 175

Next box after the new year will probably be a Quad Core from Intel.

PmDematagoda
September 16th, 2007, 03:41 AM
nowshining:-

[ 16.789087] CPU: Hyper-Threading is disabled

still trying tho..

Be careful nowshining, a working CPU without HT is better than a broken CPU with HT. And what did you mean by the value 16.7890878?

Bachstelze
September 16th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Of the six machines I have, there is three AMD's (a Duron 1300, an Athlon 64 3200+ and an Athlon FX-62), two Intels (a Core T2400 and a PII 400) and one Cyrix (486DX2).

So I answered AMD :D

PmDematagoda
September 16th, 2007, 03:50 AM
Why on earth do you have 6 machines HymnToLife?:)

Bachstelze
September 16th, 2007, 03:55 AM
The FX is my main desktop, the 3200+ is my main web/ftp/mail server, the Duron is mostly used by my sister, the Core is my laptop, the 486 is my router and the PII is a machine I use mostly as a mirror of the Ubuntu repos when I have a meeting with my LUG in places with poor (or no) connectivity.

arsenic23
September 16th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Why on earth do you have 6 machines HymnToLife?:)

6 is a good number.

Desktop
2nd PC
Laptop
Server
Media PC
Family Box

or

Desktop
Gaming Box
Laptop
Media PC
Mac
Family Box

or etc...

tbroderick
September 16th, 2007, 04:03 AM
6 is a good number.

Not when you pay for electricity.

PmDematagoda
September 16th, 2007, 04:10 AM
tbroderick:-

Not when you pay for electricity.

Your electricity bills must be sky high aren't they HymnToLife?:D

You could probably earn a fortune if you sold all 6 of your computers.

PmDematagoda
September 16th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I would say that is definitely a typo. The most I have ever seen a processor overclock is ~4.7ghz on a Core 2 Quad Q6600, and that is using liquid nitrogen (I think) to cool the thing to -120c.

My dad has been buying AMD processors for a while, and that is what I have in my desktop (an Athlon 64 3200+). AMD seems to put out a powerful processor for a very good price.

Actually I think that is inaccurate for a Quad core, because as I seem to know it each core on a quad is capable of atleast 2 Ghz, so doing the math I would say that a Quad core can pull about 8 Ghz worth of power. And cooling the Quad core using liquid nitrogen to get about 4.7 Ghz is very unlikely, because a Duo Core can give out as much with the normal cooling system.

Compyx
September 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
For my modern computing needs I prefer AMD (see my sig) but my real favourite company is MOS Technology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology) for reasons you should be able to deduct from looking at my avatar :)

tvrg
September 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I'm using intel on everythin ATM, but that doesn't indicate a preference of an intel cpu over an amd cpu.

I mainly use laptops, and when searching for a laptop I look at things like specs + vid card support/wlan support etc. It just happens that my 2 laptops atm have an intel chipset, the cpu that came with it was only a secondary argument

ssam
September 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
i have:
Powerpc G4 (laptop)
Intel Xeon (desktop)
Via C3 (music/backup server)
ARM (N800)

PmDematagoda
September 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I've heard of Intel Xeon processors, what's the difference between a Xeon and a normal desktop processor? I'm assuming that the Xeon processor is a special type of processor.

K.Mandla
September 16th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I'll use whatever's in the machine I'm given. Right now I have one P3 and one K6-2. If I had to pick a new one, I'd probably go with a fast AMD, just for price considerations.

fumduck
September 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM
dual core opteron 165 AMD

death__machine
September 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM
i use core 2 duo 2.0 ghz 667 mhz fsb on my dell inspiron 6400.

Frak
September 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I've had bad experiences with AMD, so I stayed with Intel. Intel's are one of the more stable and efficient. Plus, they are big players in the OS movement.

I also use PPC's alot, they are very stable, efficient, and pretty speedy, even though a PPC may only run at 335MHz, it can run as fast as an Intel or AMD running at 1.5GHz.

G5 FTW

ukripper
September 16th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I've heard of Intel Xeon processors, what's the difference between a Xeon and a normal desktop processor? I'm assuming that the Xeon processor is a special type of processor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon

At work we support blade servers with XEON processors.

Stew2
September 16th, 2007, 08:48 PM
All the machines I build end up with intel processors. Not really intentional, thats just the way it works out :D. I have had good luck with them all, no reliability issues although I must say that the Prescott's run quite warm under load. They have treated me well so I will probably stick with them in the future :D.

PmDematagoda
September 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM
It seems for now that AMD and Intel are both extremely popular.:lolflag:

Shamefully, I must admit that I never thought much about AMD until I began this thread.

Tom Mann
September 18th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Why did you switch HT off? It's supposed to be the main reason you are paying for the processor in the first place isn't it?

I did some tests. I found that when I encoded audio/video, switching HT off doubled the speed of encoding mp3's etc. Leaving HT on adds a little stability (I was running Windows at the time) but if your applications only use one core you only get half the performance. This was also the case with Quake 4!

Overbyte
September 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Using an Intel 925 3.0 GHz (dual-core) on 1GB of DDR2 RAM
Adobe Premiere runs like a monster. Ubuntu screams like a bat out of hell. Vista wants me to upgrade my hardware because of an index score of 4.3. Won't listen... :)

Although I believe the performance gains you get from HT or having multiple cores largely depend on how the programs you use actually have multithreading support...

ukripper
September 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
From a Programmer's point of view most apps are mutlithreaded. Dual core/Quad core makes a lot of difference when running multi apps with multithreading.

ingis
September 19th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Personally AMD, but at work we have Intell, but not I decided to buy them.

ukripper
September 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Personally AMD, but at work we have Intell, but not I decided to buy them.

Go with AMD X2

PmDematagoda
September 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
From a Programmer's point of view most apps are mutlithreaded. Dual core/Quad core makes a lot of difference when running multi apps with multithreading.

Are there any programs which properly take advantage of the multiple cores?

ukripper
September 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Are there any programs which properly take advantage of the multiple cores?

No programs are perfect but it gets close to be a viable choice when you use 64bit apps on 64bit capable processor and OS supporting 64bit, as it contains more register to store address giving you better processing and response time.

You will notice real difference if you run some apps which are processor intensive like encoding,decoding, apps doing alot of calculations. All of those apps will have multithreads enabled for parallel proccessing and register will store data more quickly due to more registers available in multi core processors hence decreasing your overall processing time per interval cycle.

To take advantage of all multicores, either apps need to be programmed to take benefit of multicore or tweaking at OS level to make use of those apps evenly on each available core. I prefer OS level tweaking as it is reduces my time during development.

Overbyte
September 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Tweaking at the OS level, so that means intelligent scheduling of taks right? I mean, filtering out the tasks which doesn't need to be dependent on others and spreading them evenly along the cores?

ukripper
September 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Tweaking at the OS level, so that means intelligent scheduling of taks right? I mean, filtering out the tasks which doesn't need to be dependent on others and spreading them evenly along the cores?

Exactly!!

Frak
September 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
All Intels and AMDs already do that, OOP, Out of Order Processing. The seperation of processes based on importance. The only downside is that it can take some extra processing to have the process be examined and determined for importance.

Overbyte
September 20th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Now I can finally sleep peacefully :)

ahaslam
September 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 3.15GHz, they have great overclocking potential ;)

stevex
September 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I voted Intel, because it is fair to say that is what I like to use because that is what is in my laptop (my main system). However, generally when building new systems, I go with AMD. My desktop is in Storage right now but it has an AMD processor.

PmDematagoda
September 21st, 2007, 04:58 PM
Still no VIA testimonial.

ukripper
September 21st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Still no VIA testimonial.

Never used it.........So can't comment....sorry

PmDematagoda
September 21st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Never used it.........So can't comment....sorry

No problem ukripper:), I just wanted a testimonial from a VIA user because I've heard that they are efficient. That's all.:)

But thanks anyway.

roachk71
September 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core.

In vista, the performance leaves quite a bit to be desired, but in Ubuntu (64-bit) it really ROCKS!! :guitar:

I've been out for a while...My notebook's CD drive conked out, leaving me stuck with Damn Small. Now, I'm Back!!!!

drivel
September 22nd, 2007, 03:01 PM
now using Intel,but still follow intrest with Loongson

PmDematagoda
September 22nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
now using Intel,but still follow intrest with Loongson

How are Loongson processors?

Are they reliable?

I've had some bad experiences with almost anything Chinese(No offense), you name it, phones, equipment, etc.

And are they powerful and efficient?

Baby Boy
September 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
Only AMD so far, though not on purpose, I just haven't had the chance to try Intel yet. :)

PmDematagoda
September 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I've tried looking at what the difference is between a normal processor such as the P4 processor and the Extreme Edition of it, can anyone tell my what differences there are between these two?

a12ctic
September 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I've tried looking at what the difference is between a normal processor such as the P4 processor and the Extreme Edition of it, can anyone tell my what differences there are between these two?

unlocked multipler, that is it.

ukripper
September 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
More overclocking potential for Extreme..

ger_mulvey
October 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I have used AMD since the K5, just like them.

ukripper
October 8th, 2007, 12:41 PM
AMD Barcelona (quad core) is wicked just saw it on my mate's machine it rocked with ubuntu gutsy beta.
Review - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070910-barcelonas-out-and-the-reviews-are-out.html
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3091

PmDematagoda
October 8th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the links ukripper:), I would be really interested in seeing how AMD's quad-core fares against Intel's one as time goes by and the reviews become more accurate.

nitep
March 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I have bought a 2nd hand computer AMD Athlon xp2000.
I want to upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu. Is my computer 64 bit and does Ubuntu work well on 64 bit. At the moment I am running Ubuntu 7.04 32 bit. Excellent so far.
Thanks

/home
March 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I have 2 laptops one is a P3(800mh) the other is a PM(1.86gh)

INTEL ROCKS!

steelcap
March 10th, 2008, 03:14 AM
1 x Intel PII
4 x Intel PIII
2 x Intel P4
1 x Intel Xeon P4
2 x Intel Centrino Duo - a thinkpad and a macbook
1 x AMD Athlon64
1 x PowerPC - IBM RS6000

The only bad one of of the lot is a PIII 700 in a Dell L400 laptop that overheats after about 30 minutes, but that may not be the processor.

sloggerkhan
March 10th, 2008, 03:41 AM
My 2 cpus are AMDs.
Mostly because they're solid and cheap.
I just built a desktop and went AMD because decent AMD was way cheaper than going intel.

Zayne
March 10th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Processor is in my signature. =]

I had a few Intel / Pentium systems, and I don't know if I have bad karma or if they just plain SUCKED. They all broke down within a year and a half and were too much of a headache to save.

Since then, I've had two AMD computers. Both still run wonderfully. My boyfriend inherited my older one and my new one works like a dream. I find they make more use of the speed they're capable of, they multi task better, and tend to be a lot more of a solid piece of hardware, have yet to experience a serious malfunction.

hhhhhx
March 10th, 2008, 03:53 AM
intel :)

Jay Jay
March 10th, 2008, 04:01 AM
1x Intel P1
4x Intel P2
1x Intel P4
3x Intel P3
2x Power PC
1x 68000
1x Intel 386 (yep, 386)
2x Intel 486

Only two of the Intel's were a conscious choice by me during system building at a time when I bought into the Intel marketing "allure". The rest were already supplied in ready-made gear.

EDIT: The P2's saw a 30% increase in graphics performance with the FASTVID patch applied, why Intel decided to ship the CPU's with this feature disabled by default is beyond me.

jespdj
March 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Intel - The Core 2 Duo is a great leap forward, it's a lot faster than the older Pentium processors and uses much less power. Even programs running on only one core of my 2.4 GHz E6600 run a lot faster than on a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, and the E6600 uses only half the power (65W vs. 130W).

AMD processors are nice for cheaper systems - they run very well and are cheaper than Intel chips.

metallicamaster3
March 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I personally like Intel processors, and usually try to stay away from AMD (and ATi...). I do own a small few machines that do run on AMD processors. Only a few major drawbacks, but otherwise... they're shruggable.