PDA

View Full Version : Open University?

curuxz
September 12th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I just filled out the form to enroll for courses leading to a law degree with the Open University (the LLB).

I hopefully will be doing "Legal Studies" and "An introduction to the social sciences: understanding social change" both are level 1 60 point courses. I was wondering if anyone else has done the OU on here or similar courses? :)

purdy hate machine
September 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Good luck.
Love the OU, I’m currently half way through my Geosciences degree.

beercz
September 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I have an OU degree - I did all mathematics and computing modules.

I finished in 2002 - after 9 years (my choice), studying part time!!

My OU degree opened many doors for me, and it's not just about the subject matter. My OU degree says a lot about my commitment, dedication and strength of character, time management, problem solving and organisation skills as well as the knowledge I have learned.

It also enabled me to do further post graduate studies (a Masters degree), but with another institution.

Good luck with it - enjoy it. Hopefully you will not take as long as me.

My biggest tip is to try and do a little bit every day, preferably at the same sort of time (a bit like jogging), and try not to get behind.

ddrichardson
September 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I have been doing OU for some time (now Computing with Psychology) and can recommend it greatly.

It opens doors you'd never expect it to: with my bosses, who think it's great; future employment - in more areas than I had previously considered; working in distributed environments; friends I've made both on the same course and within my workshop who are doing OU; improved time management and particularly writing skills.

I can't recommend it enough - especially if you are lucky enough to have an employer that will financially support your training (like mine does).

Like beercz says - treat it like running, do a little every day and it becomes very manageable.

triptoe
September 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Two questions... does it work with linux? the teleconferencing and stuff... and for how many hours per week did you study to get a degree in 9 years ?

beercz
September 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Some of it does work with linux, (network programming, java etc...) but not much. They do say you need to use Windows - not sure about the telecommunication stuff - unless it's browser based of course. You need to check with them. It was 5 years ago when I finished.

I tried to spend a minimum of 2 hours per day on it. But I felt bad with myself if I didn't do at least half an hour.

I did, however, plan to have the occasional day off from studying - I felt OK about that as I had planned it.

curuxz
September 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
thanks guys!

I am really looking forward to it, assuming my application goes smoothly I should get to start in feb.

Have always wondered if you were really smart if you could do a whole 3 year degree in 1 year using the OU, assuming full time. Im hoping I can do mine in 3 years if i do 2 courses a year, 2 of each level that should work rite?

beercz
September 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM
thanks guys!

I am really looking forward to it, assuming my application goes smoothly I should get to start in feb.

Have always wondered if you were really smart if you could do a whole 3 year degree in 1 year using the OU, assuming full time. Im hoping I can do mine in 3 years if i do 2 courses a year, 2 of each level that should work rite?
It's possible although hard.

I only ever did one module per year as I was only doing it part time. Also you could get tutorial, day school, assignment submission and exam clashes.

But if you are able to do it full time, then you will have lots of time to fit it in. You have do work out what is best for you.

Good luck and if you need any help, tips etc. just post back or pm me.

curuxz
September 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks! :D

purdy hate machine
September 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
The OU will usually only let you study up to a maximum of 120 points in a year, which is the equivalent of full time study (thats about 32 hours of studying per week)

curuxz
September 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
The OU will usually only let you study up to a maximum of 120 points in a year, which is the equivalent of full time study (thats about 32 hours of studying per week)

ah rite fair so :D, I have signed up for 2 60 point level 1 courses, do you think thats too much? Personally Im looking forward to the challenge

ddrichardson
September 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM
There aren't many 60 point level one courses. If you are doing OU around work you may find it difficult to fit it all in.

I did this - pure arrogance on my part, as had I already done degree I thought I'd walk it. There is actually a lot more work than you'd think and things like family cannot be neglected.

If you sign up for a course and feel you have time to take on more then do so - if its full time you'll be OK. My BSc was full time at 36 hours a week covering five or six main subjects as lectures and tutorials, I found it difficult to work around the University - if you are doing it the other way round, fitting a degree around work then it will be a struggle.

mips
September 12th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Hmm, I just had a look and I could get up to 240 credit points for my previous studies, 120Short of a BSc Hons. Maybe I should look into this.

Only thing is the courses look different to our local offerings and I would not know if their degrees are recognised over here ?

LowSky
September 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Im intrested in how other nation's education system work

I'm an American and our Bachelor's Degree requires at least 120 credits, with most classes being 3 credits each, and we take usually 15 credits a semester, so we normally graduate in 4 years. We have a grading system based on grade point average with the numbers based on 0.0 to 4.0, 4.0 being the best.

curuxz
September 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Im intrested in how other nation's education system work

I'm an American and our Bachelor's Degree requires at least 120 credits, with most classes being 3 credits each, and we take usually 15 credits a semester, so we normally graduate in 4 years. We have a grading system based on grade point average with the numbers based on 0.0 to 4.0, 4.0 being the best.

In the UK a Bachelors degree needs 360 points, I think this is based on the 360 degrees in a whole circle.

Generally speaking you do 120 points at each of the 3 levels, level 1 points only get you onto level 2 and 3 and do not count towards your grade so in theory you could get the bare minimum pass on your 120 level points but still graduate with the highest grade possible. This makes it easy for people to adjust into their first year at university because it does not really matter so long as you pass.

Grades rage from the lowest being a third, to a lower second, upper second and a first. Generally a first is 70% or above and then the others are 60%, 50% and 40% respectively, below 40 is a fail. This often gets people who are very good annoyed because of the difference between a 70% piece of work and a 95% piece is great but not generally reconised.

beercz
September 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM
...fitting a degree around work then it will be a struggle.

But possible - I know, I did it. You have to be organized and committed, and you need the support of your family and employer.

You will also be well supported by the University and by fellow students.

Well worth it in the end, fantastic sense of achievement.

And OU degrees are generally well regarded as some consider that you have to work even harder than "normal" students to get one. Not a personal opinion but I have heard it said on many occasions.

Go for it I say! And good luck. You will be really glad you did in the end.

ddrichardson
September 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
But possible - I know, I did it. You have to be organized and committed, and you need the support of your family and employer.

You've taken me a bit out of context there, remember I'm doing this too. Starting off at 120 points is a very big commitment - not impossible.

beercz
September 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
You've taken me a bit out of context there, remember I'm doing this too. Starting off at 120 points is a very big commitment - not impossible.
Ah! Yes, you are right, I misread your post! My apologies. :oops:

Hope you are enjoying your studies, how long have you got to go?

ddrichardson
September 12th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Ah! Yes, you are right, I misread your post! My apologies. :oops:

Hope you are enjoying your studies, how long have you got to go?

Theoretically it would be about two years but the current level of commitments I seem to be away a lot and it's increasingly difficult to get the structured approach in and more last minute panic.

I am enjoying it though - its very different from full time university but I think I;m probably in a different place from then now anyway.