PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu really the best Linux for new users?

jrusso2
September 12th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Apparently some don't think so. The quest for being pure seems to be hurting them in this vital area.

http://mag.mypclinuxos.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html

eentonig
September 12th, 2007, 07:10 AM
redundant thread.

There never is "The best". It alwasy depends on the endusers requirements. But it's good enough to fit for a wide common denominator.

EDIT: Ogh, and that review was very biassed as well, if you include your own distro in the testing. No surprise that came out as being the best.

Warren Watts
September 12th, 2007, 07:22 AM
My first venture into the Linux world was two years ago using Fedora Core 4. It took me all day to get installed using four (count them: four) install CD's, and a good week afterwards to get it to do what I wanted it to do.

Two years later, I requested an Ubuntu disk from the Ubuntu site, received it the mail, popped it in, booted from CD, and boom. Linux. I went ahead and installed it, and have been using it happily ever since. No comparison in terms of knowledge required to get the OS up and running.

Now in the last four months I have played around with a handful of other distros; Wolvix, DSL, and Arch to name a few; and none of them come close to being as easy to setup and use as Ubuntu.

Wolvix probably comes the closest; the Live CD boots to a fully functional system with a great selection of applications already installed. But I don't think a Linux newbie could get thru the process of installing it to the hard drive without some basic Linux knowledge.

I don't really have any experience with some of the other big names in the Linux world because I have old slow hardware and limited disk space, but from everything I have read in this forum and others, they don't install with the ease and simplicity of Ubuntu either.

So in my (somewhat unqualified) opinion as a regular Joe computer user who is relatively new to Linux, Yes. Ubuntu is the best Linux for the average computer user who is new to Linux.

sstusick
September 12th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Very biased is an understatement for that article.

ryno519
September 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM
This topic has been discussed on the forum at the following thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=542262

Perfect Storm
September 12th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Thread closed.

Please, check the link ryno519 provided.

Chuck Norris have spoken.