PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of IT internship in New Zealand / Australia?

hardyn
September 12th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I am a recent Canadian university graduate, I am planning some travel in New Zealand / Australia for the coming month(s) and was considering obtaining a "Working Holiday Visa". As a part of my travel, I would be interesting in seeking some short term, internship-like, employment in the IT sector; entry level position is just fine and I'm not particularity picky about what sector (help desk, administration etc.).

I am trained as a Mechanical Engineer with a specialty in "Mechatronics" (integrated, electro-mechanical technology). While my degree is in mechanical engineering, through my course work and personal interests, my professional interests have shifted to that of IT and computing technologies in general. As a result I am considering graduate studies in computer engineering.

In addition numerous elective coursework in software and computer engineering, I possess a tremendous amount of informal computing experience through the administration, design and repair of my own computer systems and the computer systems of friends and family (and an obviously competence and a passion for Linux/Unix systems). To stay current with new technological trends and to assist and collaborate with other computing technology enthusiasts, I am an avid reader of and contributor to computing technology journals, blogs, and forums.

I consider myself to be a Linux and Windows "power-user" and have experience programming in C and Python. With my engineering background I have demonstrated skills in numeracy, critical thinking, analytic problem solving and decision making.

If you feel that I may be a benefit to your organization (a temporary position for modest renumeration), I would be happy to transmit my CV and speak with you further about any available temporary positions.

Thank you.
( Please contact me though private message on this forum.)

Tux Aubrey
September 12th, 2007, 04:39 AM
The job market is so good in Australia right now you will probably be made Head of Department within a week of starting. Basically, anyone who can walk upright and has an opposable thumb can get a job right now. If you don't have an opposable thumb, you could still work in PR.

hardyn
September 12th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks,

Do you know of any organizations, or recruiters that i should be talking to about temporary work?

Thanks.

thisllub
September 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Every job ad here gets 1000 applications from India.
If you have honest skills you will get work.

mips
September 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
The job market is so good in Australia right now you will probably be made Head of Department within a week of starting. Basically, anyone who can walk upright and has an opposable thumb can get a job right now. If you don't have an opposable thumb, you could still work in PR.

Hmm, maybe I should be applying for a Visa or immigration then.

hardyn
November 20th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Slightly Updated...

I am a recent Canadian university graduate, I am planning some travel in New Zealand / Australia for the coming month(s) and was considering obtaining a "Working Holiday Visa". As a part of my travel, I would be interesting in seeking some short term, internship-like, employment in the IT sector; entry level position is just fine and I'm not particularity picky about what sector (help desk, administration etc.).

I am trained as a Mechanical Engineer with a specialty in "Mechatronics" (robotics) (integrated, electro-mechanical technology) with significant industry experience. While my degree is in robotics, through my course work and personal interests, my professional interests have shifted to that of IT and computing technologies in general. As a result I am considering, strongly, graduate studies in computer system / network engineering.

In addition numerous elective coursework in software and computer engineering, I possess a tremendous amount of informal computing experience through the administration, design and repair of my own computer systems and the computer systems of friends and family (and an obviously competence and a passion for Linux/Unix systems). To stay current with new technological trends and to assist and collaborate with other computing technology enthusiasts, I am an avid reader of and contributor to computing technology journals, blogs, and forums (like this one, member since '05 almost 1000 (mostly on topic) posts.

I consider myself to be a Linux and Windows "power-user" and am very comforable with computers on the hardware level. I have experience programming in C, Python and HTML; and have a great deal of experience providing telephone and email based customer technical support. With my engineering background I have demonstrated skills in numeracy, critical thinking, analytic problem solving and decision making.

If you feel that I may be a benefit to your organization (a temporary position for modest renumeration), I would be happy to transmit my CV and speak with you further about any available temporary positions.

Thank you.
( Please contact me though private message on this forum.)

I am resurrecting this older post of mine, in hope that it might get a little traction. I have been in Australia for a couple of weeks, and do currently hold a Working Holiday Visa. I would like to seek a some contract employment in the above mentioned sectors. I am currently in the Cairns, and will we heading down the east through Brizzie to Sydney and possibly Melbourne; then over to west for a little more sight seeing.

Can anybody recommend a recruiting service, or emplyment web-board? Does anybody reading have a have a company (or work for one) that could use somebody like me? As I am persuing this endevour with the intention of making it a future career, you can be sure that will work very hard to prove my value desipe not being not have an ideal academic IT background.

Thank you in advance for any help, mate!