PDA

View Full Version : If you had more than enough money and you did not care about principles, would you...

wersdaluv
September 12th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Let us say that you can afford to buy any software and hardware in the market and you did not care about principles (like Open Source and all that), will you still use Ubuntu?

Please tell why you will or you will not.

blithen
September 12th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I would because I would donate a lot of it to Ubuntu or just linux in general. And I'm not going to donate a ton of money to something I'm not going to use.
Also just 'cause I like it better.

Kingsley
September 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I can "afford" expensive software for reasons that shall not be mentioned on these forums but still choose to use Ubuntu as my primary OS. As far as affording the best of the best hardware, I don't see how that would affect my liking of Ubuntu. I'm mainly attracted to Linux because of the customizability and learning curve.

Bachstelze
September 12th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Donate to OpenBSD \o/

And the poll question is irrelevant to me since I do not use Ubuntu now.

Sp4cedOut
September 12th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I use Ubuntu because I think it's the best operating system. If I thought Windows was the best I'd use that.

FuturePilot
September 12th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Yes because I like it. It's fast and IMO better than Windows.

some_random_noob
September 12th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Regardless of how much money I have, I'll always use Ubuntu; It's more ethical.

wersdaluv
September 12th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Regardless of how much money I have, I'll always use Ubuntu; It's more ethical.

If you did not care for ethics and anything like that and you can afford to buy any software and hardware, would you still use Ubuntu?

JBAlaska
September 12th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Honestly, I don't give a damn about open source "Principals" or whatever. I use whatever I need to get the job done. For me Ubuntu is the best OS I've ever used.

amazingtaters
September 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM
I sure would. It's Vista's horrible features that pushed me to Ubuntu. Thus, as long as Vista exists in this alternate reality, I am still here.

starcraft.man
September 12th, 2007, 03:39 AM
No doubt I'd stay. Large sums of money do not change everyone.

nonewmsgs
September 12th, 2007, 03:55 AM
an OS is something worth paying more for a better one, and with ubuntu i am happy. i would wisely spend my money on gambling, hookers, and drugs.

who were the 2 people who said no??

blithen
September 12th, 2007, 03:56 AM
i would wisely spend my money on gambling, hookers, and drugs.

who were the 2 people who said no??

We obviously have to different meanings of 'Wisely' in this world.

Anthem
September 12th, 2007, 04:05 AM
And the poll question is irrelevant to me since I do not use Ubuntu now.
Then why are you forum staff?

nonewmsgs
September 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM
We obviously have to different meanings of 'Wisely' in this world.

it was a joke since the big name celebs always seem so suceptable to vices and they tend to have millions.

wersdaluv
September 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Hmmm..

I was expecting a reply some replies that would state that they would go all-mac or something if they only had the resources and if they just did not care for Ubuntu's philosophies. Interesting.

BeachBum
September 12th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Have you ever seen that Apple Jacks commercial, the one where a group of kids is asked, why do you like Apple Jacks cereal, and they say, "...We just do"?

Ubuntu is just...more fun.

Spike-X
September 12th, 2007, 11:14 AM
I have a fully legal, paid for install of XP on this computer that I barely use any more, so I don't see why I'd go back to that for any reason.

I'd think about getting a Mac and trying it out, though. I've never used one.

coxy
September 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I also have a fully licenced copy of XP for my laptop but choose not to use it and only have Kubuntu installed. I would be very tempted by a Mac though.

hidey
September 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Are you suggesting that Linux users are cheap and Windows users are unethical? :lolflag:

wersdaluv
September 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Are you suggesting that Linux users are cheap and Windows users are unethical? :lolflag:

No!

eentonig
September 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Sure I would.

Being cheap and ethical has nothing to do with my prefference for Ubuntu.

My main reasons are:
- Security
- Customizable
- automisation for repetitive tasks.
- Stability
- Ease of installing common (and not so common) applications.

PartisanEntity
September 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Ask me before I started using Ubuntu and I may have said no. But now that I have more experience with Linux I can only say yes, it's not about the money, so even if money was not an option I would still use Linux/Ubuntu.

x0as
September 12th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I use Ubuntu because I think it's the best operating system. If I thought Windows was the best I'd use that.

Same here, I'll use whatever works best for me regardless of if its open source or not.

Nano Geek
September 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Of course I would still use Ubuntu. I is much better that Windows is.

wersdaluv
September 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Actually, I started this thread out of curiosity on how people will prefer macs (not windows) if money and principles were not an issue. hehe

forrestcupp
September 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I said yes.

However, I don't believe that using any OS or software is unethical unless you are using it with the intent of doing something unethical. I don't use Ubuntu because of principles or money. I have a copy of Vista sitting on my desk that isn't being used. And XP came preinstalled. I'm sure not going to use a Mac. If I'm going to use something else, I want there to be more software available, not less.

Ozor Mox
September 12th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I'd still use it because regardless of money or opinions on open source, I simply like using Ubuntu a lot!

As it happens, I'm also a poor student and support open source wherever possible :)

jcconnor
September 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I can pretty much afford to buy any hardware and software and I still use Ubuntu!

~LoKe
September 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I have plenty of money, as well as a copy of Windows and access to all the software I could ever want. I use Ubuntu and only Ubuntu. Granted, if I had a chance to start fresh, I'd probably install Debian.

Anthem
September 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I have plenty of money, as well as a copy of Windows and access to all the software I could ever want. I use Ubuntu and only Ubuntu. Granted, if I had a chance to start fresh, I'd probably install Debian.
If you have plenty of money, buy an extra hard drive, move all your data to it, and install Debian. In other words, nothing's stopping you.

As for me, it's hard to answer this question because it assumes I only have one computer. I'll keep OSX on my iMac, and Ubuntu on my laptop. Where does that put me?

rfruth
September 14th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Like many I have a dual boot Ubuntu / XP box (Ubuntu gets used 97 % of the time, XP 03 %) money has little to do with it - Ubuntu rocks !