PDA

View Full Version : Where do you order a new PC?

Paradoxdruid
September 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Just a quick question for everybody-

Where do you order/buy your new computers?

Back when I first dabbled with Linux, I had always ordered Dells (http://dell.com). Then, as I became a Linux user, I build my own systems from parts ordered from places like Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com). Now, I have a real job, which means I have money but no time. So I need a company that can deliver the geeky amount of choices I want, without an extraordinary price markup.

I've been looking at Velocity Micro (http://www.Velocitymicro.com), and they look pretty good, but I'm open to any better ideas!

I've ordered from System76 (http://www.system76.com) before as well, and I love my Koala, but they don't have the choices or price I'm looking for in desktops right now.

Thanks!

Johnsie
September 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I buy them off ebay... a bit of a risk, but sometimes a get a good deal. My requirements arent too high though. As long as Linux runs will with 3d and sound I dont mind.

hessiess
September 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM
buld from parts:)

starcraft.man
September 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I build mostly. There are lots of local shops that have surprisingly good prices depending on where you live, though usually mostly on parts.

If your in Canada or even the US you can try NCIX. (http://www.ncix.com/) They are based in Canada (Vancouver, B.C.) but they offer buying of individual parts and building systems (go to Buy a PC in the bar). Then pick a section and model. After that you can customize the machine with ANY part in their site/inventory (even if it's out of stock) and they'll build it and ship. They are a god send in this world of overpriced/bad OEMs (and their prices are decent). The only downside to NCIX is to remember the onus is on YOU to ensure the parts all work together and are good, if you customize a lot from their pre built rigs.

They have the standard RMA/return policy though I don't think it's quite as lenient as Dell. They won't give you the longterm tech support though (don't think it's as expansive as Dell or HP), but if your geek ya know you got more brains than the folks on the other end of that line anyway. Check that before buying (especially return policy on systems), I'm mostly speaking on recommendation from others but I'm planning on getting a good lot of parts from these folks and their customer care seems to be good overall from the forum posts/people I know.

That's the best solution I can think of, I can't recommend any large OEMs they have mostly bad support (usually lenient return policies like Dell are the only plus) and often overcharge/have price discrepencies on their sites.

DownTown22
September 11th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I build....although I will be ordering my laptop from Dell.

I prefer NCIX. TigerDirect isn't bad, but NCIX is usually cheaper, but TigerDirect usually has better descriptions of stuff.

The city where I live (Saskatoon) has an amazing computer store called OTV Technologies - which is pretty much always cheaper than NCIX, plus you don't have to pay shipping charges!

starcraft.man
September 11th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I build....although I will be ordering my laptop from Dell.

I prefer NCIX. TigerDirect isn't bad, but NCIX is usually cheaper, but TigerDirect usually has better descriptions of stuff.

The city where I live (Saskatoon) has an amazing computer store called OTV Technologies - which is pretty much always cheaper than NCIX, plus you don't have to pay shipping charges!

Aye, one downside of NCIX is it's mostly a part place, you need to bring your own checklist/knowledge of what you want. They won't baby you with "click here for 2 more GB RAM". You can however post on their very friendly forums though and get advice from their premier/staff members. Very helpful bunch of folks, I asked a few hardware questions. Glad I'm not alone in recommending em.

Iceni
September 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I build. I would buy my laptop from Dell if they sold their Ubuntu ones here.

Dr Small
September 11th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I build my own system, and never buy pre-built pc's anymore :p

Dr Small

terry_gardener
September 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
see if there is local computer shop local to you and take in a spec sheet and ask how much for it.

that is what i did. when they ask which OS you want just say ubuntu or what ever you want. i got mine with win xp because i didn't know about ubuntu then. only used ubuntu for about a month.

notwen
September 11th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I agree with ordering parts if you are planing on a new desktop, I prefer to order parts from newegg, tigerdirect and occasionally pricewatch. If you're after a laptop, I'd recommend System76 or Dell. If you're comfortable enough financially you should consider buying Dell or System76 anyway to support systems pre-loaded w/ Linux. I ordered a Dell Inspiron 1420n and have been very happy with it. There are also talks of Lenovo and possibly HP releasing lines of laptops/desktops with a distro of Linux pre-loaded. Good luck on your new system whatever you decide. =]

LaRoza
September 11th, 2007, 11:46 PM
For my computers, I bought them online at Circuit City and picked them up. It doesn't cost anything more, and you don't have to listen to sales people trying to get you to pay 30 dollars for backup disks, more for Antivirus, more for policies, MS Office, etc; just order online and pickup at store.

Sepero
September 12th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I was planning on ordering my next computer from Dell.

Don't they ship Ubuntu preloaded now?

Sp4cedOut
September 12th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I build my own.

Paradoxdruid
September 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Alright, it sounds like I may not get away from building my own again... I can find a weekend to do so, I'm sure.

So let's revise the question: Where do you buy your parts? Tiger Direct? NewEgg? Fry's?

notwen
September 12th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I was planning on ordering my next computer from Dell.

Don't they ship Ubuntu preloaded now?

Yes. http://dell.com/open

lisati
September 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Yes. http://dell.com/open

The last time I checked the NZ Dell site it didn't mention Ubuntu.... I must check again.....

mips
September 12th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I can find a weekend to do so, I'm sure.

A weekend ? It should not take more than a few hours, say 3hrs with Ubuntu installed.

starcraft.man
September 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Alright, it sounds like I may not get away from building my own again... I can find a weekend to do so, I'm sure.

So let's revise the question: Where do you buy your parts? Tiger Direct? NewEgg? Fry's?

I believe I and others already recommended NCIX for Canada (and Americans). Buy parts separate or buy a custom machine (built with anything in inventory), either way it's pretty good :).

Oh and ya, why would it take you a whole weekend? I wouldn't even expect 3 hours like mips stated...

samb0057
September 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Just get a Dell with Ubuntu

www.dell.com/open

Billy_McBong
September 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM
i build my own
buy most of my parts from newegg

energiya
September 12th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I prefer building my own. It's the best way to be sure all's as it should