PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Printer Joy

MonkeyBoy
September 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I just thought I would share my joy with you all.

I have only ever installed printers under Windows and haven't owned a home printer since switching to Ubuntu 2 years ago.

A mate at work gave me his old printer today so I brought it home and plugged it in. As soon as I hooked up the USB it said "Checking Printer Database" then said "Is this a HP Desjet 940c?"
I said "Yes"
Then it said "Is this printer networked or local?"
"Local" I replied.

That was it. It just works now. I remember installing under Windows being a bit of a mission with disks and driver installs and restarts etc.

I get more impressed by Ubuntu every day. :)

happy-and-lost
September 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
My new printer took 1 1/2 hours to get working when I plugged it into a Windows box. Took 5 seconds on Gutsy :D

happysmileman
September 11th, 2007, 09:30 PM
My new printer took 1 1/2 hours to get working when I plugged it into a Windows box. Took 5 seconds on Gutsy :D

My printer (HP Deskjet F380) took 30 seconds to install on Linux, ("We have detected this is a HP Deskjet F300 series model, is this correct?" "Yes").

On windows it took 3 reboots and a CD, 2 were part of installation and one was a complete crash, it took 40 minutes to install.

Linux:
30 second install
No CD required
0 reboots
0 crashes

Windows:
40 minutes install
CD required
3 reboots
1 crash

forrestcupp
September 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Try setting up any printer other than an HP and see how joyful you are.

happysmileman
September 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Try setting up any printer other than an HP and see how joyful you are.

That's what I heard as well... But I know that HP works fine on both Windows(with some effort) and Linux and now so does my mam (I'm 15) so who cares about other brands...

When they see the amount of people who will walk into a shop, look at a printer and ask whether they think it'll work on Linux before buying they'll probably see that not only is it less evil, it's more profitable to support Linux (and let's face it, it's not about ethics when you're talking about a multi-million € company)