PDA

View Full Version : Easy and proven way to spread Ubuntu

samb0057
September 11th, 2007, 07:48 PM
A few weeks ago i posted an ad in the free section on craigslist for free copies of ubuntu. I got tons of responses, much more than I expected. If a few people in each major city could do this I think it would help. It would also get the name "ubuntu" out to craigslist users.

n3tfury
September 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
A few weeks ago i posted an ad in the free section on craigslist for free copies of ubuntu. I got tons of responses, much more than I expected. If a few people in each major city could do this I think it would help. It would also get the name "ubuntu" out to craigslist users.

so, you're providing these cd's?

hessiess
September 11th, 2007, 08:24 PM
do the same, just put the url of the website insted

LowSky
September 11th, 2007, 08:33 PM
i might do this.... charge $2 or $3, for cd and postage cost... FYI look up media mail its cheaper than regular shipping rates

samb0057
September 12th, 2007, 03:24 PM
No the unique thing about this is this is that it's local. CDs are very cheap, so that's not much of an issue.

Just do it local like most things on craigslist, tell them to meet you or come pick it up.

I had people calling me constantly, Windows users with problems, people who had heard of linux but not tried it, and i am satisfied knowing that one of those people is probably still using ubuntu on their computers today.

samb0057
September 12th, 2007, 03:25 PM
But people don't want to do all that, most people don't even know what an iso file is. CDs are cheap, if we used all the money we've saved not buyng windows we could give out thousands of CDs lol.

do the same, just put the url of the website insted

n3tfury
September 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
No the unique thing about this is this is that it's local. CDs are very cheap, so that's not much of an issue.

cd's are cheap, but you're putting quite a toll on your burner. those aren't free.

But people don't want to do all that, most people don't even know what an iso file is.

which is why you give them this link:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/login

xl_cheese
September 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM
what did your add say?

Maybe someone can write up a catchy add that we can all copy and paste?

DoctorMO
September 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
People on cragieslist are going to be impatient people, sending them to shippit is not how a local listing works.

I reckon we could put more than just CDs on the list too.

ThinkBuntu
September 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Good idea. People love free stuff on CL.

samb0057
September 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Don't have the ad, but it was something like this:

-------------------

Ubuntu Linux - The free replacement for windows

I am giving out copies of Ubuntu Linux, a free alternative operating system to Microsoft Windows.
Ubuntu is easy to use, reliable, immune to spyware/viruses, fast, and 100% free!

Put screenshots here (very important)

I am giving these out free, no strings attached.

--------------------

I attached a screenshot and nice pre-made advertisement you can use.

xl_cheese
September 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
That's a nice ad. Straight to the point.

We may also want to point them in the right direction for support too. IE where to get software, installing problems, etc...

Maybe all three methods can be listed in the ad on how to obtain it. ISO, mailed CD, or mail a local copy locally.

hessiess
September 12th, 2007, 06:49 PM
cd's are cheap, but you're putting quite a toll on your burner. those aren't free.

and you would haft to considder how mindnumingly boring it would be burning, then testing thousends of cd,s ;)

samb0057
September 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
But if everyone were to give out 10 cds, that's alot of cds.

People I'm talking about doing this local, in person. No shipping, no downloading. Just burn some CDs and put the ad on craigslist, people will pick them up from you.

This is easy, fast, and cheap. Your only expense is the cost of the cd (maybe 10 cents) and the time to answer the door and hand them the cd, and maybe talk to them for a couple of minutes.

LowSky
September 12th, 2007, 07:34 PM
no offence but i do not want people showing up at my door looking for a small pakage, I dont need the FBI thinking I'm selling drugs or something...lol

No but really I don't like random people showing up at my door, and I dont want to meet up with them outside somewhere, even at a local bookstore or coffee shop. I don't think people will mind pay a dollar or two and let them mail them a CD.

Now if this really catches on, I might start coffe shop parties to see who is using ubuntu, or to hand out discs, but until then I'll use the internet/mail technique..

If anyone wants to set up regional distrobutions (I can do NY region for instance.. let me know (send a PM) and we can work with each other. I want more people to try linux we could also make cds of kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, openSUSE and fedora and puppy, and PCLOS

kf4tqj
September 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
I hate bieng negative but I'll give it a try. There's a boatload of Windows users out there that don't know how to change the desktop background or creat a folder on the desktop. They don't know that the antivirus that came installed, expires. They don't know to defrag and won't learn. All they know is that their computer sure has gotten slow.
I don't think I'll be giving them a disk that they could format their hard drive with and let them know where to find me.You'll find yourself doing a lot of tech support. Not to mention the ones that will try to install it on a bad drive and then blame you for it.
I guess I'm glad that there are people out there to do it. I always get mine on Ebay for $3 or $4 dollars because I'm stuck on dial-up, but I wouldn't do it myself. Then again, I still can't get my web cam to work or my Aver video capture card.
Good luck with that.
Woody / KF4TQJ

@trophy
September 12th, 2007, 07:48 PM
When I saw the thread, the first thing I thought was "Connect it with boobies." Seriously, anything you can do to associate Ubuntu with boobies will lead to widespread adoption.

LowSky
September 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM
where's the picture of the 3 naked grils standing together in the ubuntu pose...lol

samb0057
September 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
But the thing is you meet them in person, this gives them more of a feel for the software because you can talk to them about it for a minute or two.

no offence but i do not want people showing up at my door looking for a small pakage, I dont need the FBI thinking I'm selling drugs or something...lol

No but really I don't like random people showing up at my door, and I dont want to meet up with them outside somewhere, even at a local bookstore or coffee shop. I don't think people will mind pay a dollar or two and let them mail them a CD.

Now if this really catches on, I might start coffe shop parties to see who is using ubuntu, or to hand out discs, but until then I'll use the internet/mail technique..

If anyone wants to set up regional distrobutions (I can do NY region for instance.. let me know (send a PM) and we can work with each other. I want more people to try linux we could also make cds of kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, openSUSE and fedora and puppy, and PCLOS

LowSky
September 12th, 2007, 08:31 PM
But the thing is you meet them in person, this gives them more of a feel for the software because you can talk to them about it for a minute or two.

or they could ask me questions like everyone seems to do on here...

but like I said, I'm all for doing a coffee house sit in and explain ubuntu to a few interested people, but right now I dont have the time or energy to want to start something that big unless other help out (anyone in the Poughkeepsie/NYC area let me know). I work full time from 8-5 then I have school from 6-9.. I dont want strangers coming to my house all weekend asking me how to install linux on their laptop at my kitchen table.. But if we could arrange session somewhere on a weekend I might consider helping out.

n3tfury
September 12th, 2007, 10:16 PM
or they could ask me questions like everyone seems to do on here...

but like I said, I'm all for doing a coffee house sit in and explain ubuntu to a few interested people, but right now I dont have the time or energy to want to start something that big unless other help out (anyone in the Poughkeepsie/NYC area let me know). I work full time from 8-5 then I have school from 6-9.. I dont want strangers coming to my house all weekend asking me how to install linux on their laptop at my kitchen table.. But if we could arrange session somewhere on a weekend I might consider helping out.

coffee house is a great idea. no way in hell would i want anybody coming to my door to pick anything up.

to be honest though, starting on an endeavour like this means you have some time on your hands.

LowSky
September 12th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I cant believe I said coffee house... I don't even drink coffee... Hell, I don't think anytihng hot...LOL

I have time, buring a CD takes almost none of my time. You just pop a CD in, tell the computer tyo make an iso. then Burn and wait... I can do my homework between discs.
What I don't have time for is some oddball showing up at my house at god knows what time wanting me to fix the mess he got himself into.

I just realized I would love a light-scribe program for linux right now... is there one...time to check. Or maybe find a good label maker.