PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a minor.

Vadi
September 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Eeny, meeny, minie, mo.

I'm doing an Honours IT Management Major/Minor, and need to pick a minor. My options costist of those listed in the poll (Communications Studies Stream, Health Industry Stream, Management Stream, Technical and Professional Writing Stream, Technology and Society Stream) other than that, I don't know much about them.

The last one is definitely getting ruled out, writing papers on sociology isn't my thing. The health industry one gets a +, since working for the government is always a good thing!

Other than that, it doesn't matter really. What would you choose if you were in my place?

Edit: Oh, and the page with all the options is here (http://calendars.registrar.yorku.ca/calendars/2007-2008/AKprogs/info_technology.htm). You need to scroll down to the bottom to see them, and each option just cosists of a bunch of courses I'm to take if I choose that option.

LaRoza
September 11th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Management. Good management skills are essential no matter where you go and it will help your personal life also.

davahmet
September 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Since you're already in the IT Management stream, I would suggest the writing stream as a minor. The ability to merge writing skills with IT management is absolute gold in nearly any technical industry.

n3tfury
September 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM
The last one is definitely getting ruled out, writing papers on sociology isn't my thing.

if you're already set on ruling it out, why bother including it.

LowSky
September 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM
any job you take is going to require business skills, so take the managment coursework, the plus side is that you will know why a business always seems to operate like everyone has their head inserted somewhere dark, and only a few can see any source of light.

p_quarles
September 11th, 2007, 07:24 PM
+1 for writing. Writing persuasive reports and proposals is not something that anyone is born with, and it is very useful if you want your ideas to be taken seriously in a large business.

PS: of course, I'm a writing teacher, so I would say that, wouldn't I? :D

tcpip4lyfe
September 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Wow. I need to get my head out of the gutter....

n3tfury
September 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Wow. I need to get my head out of the gutter....

fkn LOL

Vadi
September 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I do have pretty good writing skills (for documentation, and general writing needed for an UI), but the management part is also useful.

Tough choice :/

justin whitaker
September 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Management stream.

Since you are already in IT Management, get as much Finance/Marketing/Organizational Management you can get.