PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Favorit Type of desktop format eyecandy?

Omnios
August 6th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Just wondering what is everyones favorit desktop layout pertaining to eye candy. You can like raw Gnome or Kde. It can be bits and pieces of a WM or anything you like. Also doesn't even have to be funtional.

For example I love Fluxboxes apps in focus and out of focus transparencies. I saw a screenshot where app the app windows where a bit transparent and you could put one app over an other and see it behind the focus app and the background past that, it was pretty amazing. It also had what looked like transparent framed dock apps that realy looked sweet. However found it not realy as functional as I would like for there are certain Gnome funtionality features I like.

Its more than just eyecandy its about what do you think a desktop should look like.

Freddy
August 6th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I like Kxdocker, that's a very goodlooking and powerfull docker for the KDE desktop.
I also like taskbar v2 for a nicer taskbar and of course superkaramba with all of those widgets for it, okey maybe not all of them :)

/Freddan

drizek
August 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I like Kxdocker, that's a very goodlooking and powerfull docker for the KDE desktop.
I also like taskbar v2 for a nicer taskbar and of course superkaramba with all of those widgets for it, okey maybe not all of them :)

/Freddan
enlightenment is pretty cool, but i like superkaramba and KDE. i have a transparent windeco, shadows, and that fading in/out effect for windows in kde. it not just a fluxbox thing.

super
August 6th, 2005, 07:47 PM
the best eye-candy is in enlightenment.

i love the animated backgrounds.
the moving sky is the best one (view video of it here (http://www.rasterman.com/files/e17_movie-03.avi) ) but it is too slow on my computer. i use 'shiny reflection' found here. (http://www.get-e.org/Themes/Backgrounds/index.html) it gives a cool glimmer running along the gold bars. :grin:

very eye-candy! ;-)

poofyhairguy
August 6th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Just wondering what is everyones favorit desktop layout pertaining to eye candy.

Hmm....I like Enlightenment 17's "lightening strikes the taskbar of the focused window" trick. I like Kompose for KDE. I like a few gdesklets.

By far though, my favorite Eye Candy trick is xcompmgr's fade trick. If you have not seen that trick working on an Nvidia card with official drivers and the composite extension, you have not seen the best Eye Candy in Linuxland. This single trick lead me to buy 2 Nvidia cards.

Problem is its pretty unstable. And it hates Metacity. I use it as much as I can....but sometimes its too much. Enlightened Gnome stops the Xserver crashes that Metacity produces, but it still messes with video and sometimes the screen has draw problems. My biggest hope is that this stabilized more....but it seems many have given up on it because of its instability so its development rate is slow.

In all the videos of Vista I have seen, that future OS has a trick much like xcompmgr's trick. Hopefully it become more stable by then, and the playing field can be even.

Kyral
August 6th, 2005, 08:24 PM
GDesklets :D

And my wallpaper is quite enough eyecandy for me (Pics in the Art Gallery under GNOME)