PDA

View Full Version : Usually it's 'what I miss from windows'...

TravMan63
September 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I bet you've read at least one post on 'what I miss from windows' - I know there are some things (mainly the apps) - that I miss.... (essential PIM, Ulead PhotoImpact, Video Studio.... itunes.... )

but - when in windows - what are the things (features and applications - we know the security/stability (although XP is pretty good) and all the hassles of licensing and expense).... you miss ...?

I recently discovered streamtuner (running elive now) - it's awesome!

I know I can run winamp and browse 'some' of these streams - but...

Here are some of the things I miss...

Gedit ...

Synaptic - all the apps in one location (you can still find others not in the repos ...)

Elive -

Frozen Bubble :)

man pages....

>> man woman
>> no solution found :)

-----
So.... what about it -
by sharing your thoughts - you can open - introduce applications and functions and features that others may not be aware of!

--
community :popcorn:
--
TM

-- more I miss
virtual desktops! - I REALLY miss that - I can do it with my nvidia card and XP - well -sort of

PmDematagoda
September 11th, 2007, 04:14 PM
The only stuff I miss in Windows are the games:), nothing else because I found an alternative in Linux to almost everything I used to have in Windows.

Though one thing I miss is itunes.

igknighted
September 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I miss Quanta+ and konqueror. I use sftp to connect to my webserver using dreamweaver, but moving and opening files is just so much easier in KDE on linux. And Quanta+ is really just as good as dreamweaver, except free.

I miss middle-click paste

I miss shading windows

I miss Krita (I hate photoshop... so un-intuitive)

I miss the terminal in general... its so useful, and while I don't use it all the time, it is noticably missing in windows.

Last but not least, I miss the myriad programing tools (from gcc to python PHP). Sure these are available for windows as well, but its so much EASIER in linux.

Depressed Man
September 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I miss the terminal (haven't installed cygin yet) as well as Compiz Fusion. Although there's a cube, it just doesn't match up to Beryl/Compiz Fusion in usability last time I tried it a few months back. Though Compiz Fusion can be done with the combination of several programs. For example the scale can be done with Switcher2 beta.

PatrickMay16
September 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
What I miss... man pages. It's helpful to have documentation.

man pump

Tiekyl
September 11th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I miss the workspaces...

The terminal

Having 2 seperate bars at the top and bottom

Middle click pasting

The spell checking all over the place (Stupid typos..)

Bungo Pony
September 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM
The transparency is so useful with learning a new prog. I was playing around with The Gimp last night, learning how to do stuff. I had Opera open to a page on how to do something, and everytime I needed to switch back to opera, all I had to do was move my mouse to it and Gimp turned almost invisible. Scrolling with the mouse wheel is my most favorite feature of Ubuntu. Just point and scroll - doesn't matter if you're in the window or not.

Also, I discovered something cool the other day that I never noticed before. There was an MP3 sitting on my desktop, and I just randomly pushed my mouse on top of the icon. It started playing! Cooooool! It gives something like a 30 second preview of the MP3.

Oh yeah, and Knotes is always being used. It's better than having the memory-hogging Notepad running.

Windows doesn't do any of this stuff. Not sure about the whole Aero thing (if it's as useful as Beryl).

It's kindof ironic. When I first installed Ubuntu, I felt like it was lacking something that Windows had. Now, it's the other way around.

kuja
September 11th, 2007, 05:32 PM
blackwaltz@terra:~$ man -k woman
woman: nothing appropriate.
:lolflag:

When in windows I miss the low maintenance design and apt the most.

Amarok, kate, klipper, konqueror, and katapult follow closely behind.

tyggna1
September 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM
multiple desktops, beryl, and most of all:

TREMULOUS!

(sure, it's compiled in a windows format, but it never works)

KCPokes
September 11th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I miss the workspaces, the terminal, actual logs that are useful, and an actual development environment that doesn't require me to run cygwin within Windows.

Of course speed goes without saying.

Rhubarb
September 11th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I miss triple clicking on a line of text (to select the whole line)
The "Always visible on workspace" option for ALL windows
I miss xkill
The fact that I can put an application launcher anywhere I want on the panels (quicklauch is terrible in windows).
I miss wget
I miss Synaptic package manager

Indeed there's plenty more I could talk about, I just feel unempowered (and very annoyed, amongst other things) when I use windows.

Occasionally Correct
September 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
On Windows, I miss good font rendering. After using Ubuntu for a while the fonts on XP just look jarring, cleartype or otherwise. :p

the_darkside_986
September 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
When I am running Vista, I miss my usable system :(

I was hoping to reinstall some games on Vista, and have them run much faster with the improved directX and newer nvidia vista drivers, but no, they all run slower. Sauerbraten, an openGL application, also runs too slow on Vista to be playable, even when there are no debug messages being output to the stupid DOS terminal.

I guess I could try disabling Aero, but the only purpose for Vista I have is really just running Visual Studio for my VB class.

igknighted
September 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
When I am running Vista, I miss my usable system :(

I was hoping to reinstall some games on Vista, and have them run much faster with the improved directX and newer nvidia vista drivers, but no, they all run slower. Sauerbraten, an openGL application, also runs too slow on Vista to be playable, even when there are no debug messages being output to the stupid DOS terminal.

I guess I could try disabling Aero, but the only purpose for Vista I have is really just running Visual Studio for my VB class.

If a game is not DX10, it won't really see any improvement in Vista. I have found DX9 games to be of nearly equivalent performance, but OpenGL games are certainly far worse in Vista than in XP or Linux. Oh, and Nvidia's Vista drivers still suck. ATI is the way to go. On windows and linux now.

Erik Trybom
September 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I miss all the free, easy-to-install software. If I want, say, a firewall on Linux, I just apt-get something from the repos. If I want one on Windows, I search the web, download some file, install it, and configure it while trying to avoid all the ads and notifications saying this software is only a trial version and will expire in 30 days.

zeDuffMan
September 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I miss Synaptic and everything linked to it (e.g. Update Manager). Having WGA breathing down your neck is also irritating - none of that rubbish on Linux.

Celegorm
September 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I have to use windows in the computer labs at school sometimes, and I miss the sheer freedom and customizability of linux. I like using lightweight window managers like fluxbox or ion, and not being stuck with one kind of interface. I miss the (unix) command line terribly. I miss synaptic and apt-get. It's annoying to have to download putty from a website to use ssh, instead of getting a program from repositories. I miss the programs all being put in predictable places. I miss workspaces. I miss editable text configuration files. I miss being able to switch to console mode and kill a process from the command line when my mouse isn't even responding. I miss the feeling that I am in control of the computer and know what I am doing, or at least that I'll be able to figure out what I'm doing as I go along (mind you, I've used windows for nearly as long as it's been around, and then switched to linux cold turkey a little over four months ago). I miss not having to worry about viruses. If I were using windows on a personal computer, I would miss being able to leave it on constantly without worrying about slowdown. Most of all I miss using an OS that is open source, in which nothing is hidden from those who choose to look, and nothing is inaccessible to those who choose to tinker (with the exception of restricted drivers and such, but those are optional components).

CarpKing
September 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I miss apt, multiple workspaces, music applet, and the clean look of everything. I haven't used Windows much for awhile, but I bet now I'd miss AWN and Compiz-Fusion.

scalawag
September 11th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I miss multiple desktops (I've used windows apps that sort of accomplish this...in no way do they compare)

I miss the terminal

I miss sudo

I MISS COMPIZ - It's so nice to be able to just alt-cntl click my desktop, or just middle-click a bare spot on the desktop and swing to the next view and continue on - I have 11 tabs on my Windows XP Pro toolbar, multiple instances of the same ap, three clicks to find the ONE file I need right now... - or even just slide the cursor to the bottom right corner for all aps on all workspaces, top right for all aps on this workspace

I miss Synaptic

I miss kill

I miss...Linux

RAV TUX
September 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I miss highlight and paste with the middle click button.

I always try to do this in Windows, then I realize that I can't; Copy, Paste is so painful.

TravMan63
September 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Several good features have been mentioned!

how about this one....
when you save a document (from a 'photo/screen snapshot' application) - then take another (and another ... :) - the filename is automagically sequenced!

I bet there's more....

lisati
September 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Several good features have been mentioned!

how about this one....
when you save a document (from a 'photo/screen snapshot' application) - then take another (and another ... :) - the filename is automagically sequenced!

I bet there's more....

The sofware that came with my scanner does that already - and it's Windows!