PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft spreads FUD against.... windows XP

vexorian
September 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Fun, I think:
http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9773662-16.html

Paul820
September 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Haha, i read that story on digg, it seems Microsoft will do anything to get people to use vista. :)

PmDematagoda
September 11th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I knew Microsoft was stupid, but not this stupid. I mean a good company should support their products, if their products aren't good then they should try and improve it or just quietly get rid of it, not discredit themselves by putting mud on themselves.

But then again Microsoft really is quite stupid, and I guess this is a typical move by them;).

aaaantoine
September 11th, 2007, 04:12 PM
As the comments say, it's really just marketing.

Vista > XP, says Microsoft.

Do you expect them to say otherwise?

PmDematagoda
September 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Yeah, it's natural for a company to promote a new product, but degrading one of their older products which they used to adamantly defend when it was released is really stupid as it makes people think that Microsoft may be lying about Vista(and of course they are), just as they were with XP(to which they admit indirectly).

tvrg
September 11th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I knew Microsoft was stupid, but not this stupid. I mean a good company should support their products, if their products aren't good then they should try and improve it or just quietly get rid of it, not discredit themselves by putting mud on themselves.

But then again Microsoft really is quite stupid, and I guess this is a typical move by them;).

Yeah microsoft is stupid, that's why they are worth billions. Get a grasp!
they know their audience

everybody here thinking vista will fail must not have been here when XP was launched....

PmDematagoda
September 11th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I guess the grasp is,

Microsoft says there are problems with the old system, they throw in some stuff about security and stability and say it cannot be fixed but that there aren't such problems in Vista. So people who use XP and never know the truth(no offence to anyone) get scared and jump ship to Vista, thereby giving Microsoft a big profit.

Yup, quite a clever sales plan from a company like Microsoft. Especially since they have the funds to advertise very extensively thereby blocking out those that go against them.

Did I get the grasp?

If I didn't you tell me what your grasp is.

Depressed Man
September 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM

I think that tends to be a problem when your a monopoly. You don't have anyone to compete against (thus not as big a motive to improve). Plus you end up competing against yourself.

tvrg
September 11th, 2007, 04:47 PM
that's indeed what i meant, now point out to me what makes them stupid again?

FuturePilot
September 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hahaha. That gave me a good laugh. Made my day:lolflag:

PmDematagoda
September 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Well the thing is that when they give out such statements, people who are concerned about security may begin to mistrust Microsoft because they been have been endorsing the fact that XP is very secure from about the time it was released, so if they start denying that suddenly just to get good profits, they are rather stupid because they lost some customers in the process and those customers may encourage others to give up Windows as well.

This may be a minority, but it is an increasing minority as people are understanding more about cybercrime and it's adverse effects.

PmDematagoda
September 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Depressed Man:

I think that tends to be a problem when your a monopoly. You don't have anyone to compete against (thus not as big a motive to improve). Plus you end up competing against yourself.

The sad truth. There is something like that in Sri Lanka as well, not Microsoft though.

But the thing is such companies don't live long, because if they don't improve well then they most probably would be exposed by others, unless they paid those people off(another sad truth).:(