PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Linux User Distro

blithen
September 11th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Which would be a great distro to really make you use the command line, and do a few more things manually. (No way am I leaving Ubuntu I just want to learn more about linux)
I can't get slackware working, nor gentoo (I can't open my ports which means I get extremely slow download speeds)

ThinkBuntu
September 11th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Arch.

I repeat, Arch is your answer. Easy, manual. Attracts many Slackware and Gentoo users who are sick of the parts of their distro that make it unnecessarily difficult. Very fast too.

blithen
September 11th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Haha! Thanks. Was actually just looking at that distro :P

blithen
September 11th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Well...this is...weird?
I keep getting a 0kb/s download rate. So it must be me.
Any ideas?

flatwombat
September 11th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I'd suggest Fedora. It's a "between" distro. There's plenty of CLI but also gui versions and it's a very mature and beautiful distro, plus it plays well with most hardware. The only down side may be that it's FOSS and that non-free packages & codecs need to be installed from 3rd. party repositories and from tutorials. Fun stuff - been doing it for years!

ThinkBuntu
September 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Arch torrents pull well. Should be no problem.

stmiller
September 11th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Gentoo! They have good docs to walk you through setting everything up, also.

RAV TUX
September 11th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Which would be a great distro to really make you use the command line, and do a few more things manually. (No way am I leaving Ubuntu I just want to learn more about linux)
I can't get slackware working, nor gentoo (I can't open my ports which means I get extremely slow download speeds)

I highly suggest you retry Gentoo.

blithen
September 11th, 2007, 06:22 AM
I highly suggest you retry Gentoo.

Yes sir mister manager sir! :P!

blithen
September 11th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Is Gentoo suppose to install insanely slow?
It's been on step 1 of 5 for like a good half hour.

drivel
September 11th, 2007, 08:35 AM
I'd suggest Fedora. It's a "between" distro. There's plenty of CLI but also gui versions and it's a very mature and beautiful distro, plus it plays well with most hardware. The only down side may be that it's FOSS and that non-free packages & codecs need to be installed from 3rd. party repositories and from tutorials. Fun stuff - been doing it for years!

"Fedora" is also like Ubuntu,for fresh I think

Warren Watts
September 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Is Gentoo suppose to install insanely slow?
It's been on step 1 of 5 for like a good half hour.

If I understand about Gentoo, EVERYTHING gets built from source when you install it. If this is indeed the case, you can expect the process to take a while, especially if you selected a lot of extra packages.

(Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about Gentoo compiling everything from source, y'all)

LookTJ
September 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
If I understand about Gentoo, EVERYTHING gets built from source when you install it. If this is indeed the case, you can expect the process to take a while, especially if you selected a lot of extra packages.

(Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about Gentoo compiling everything from source, y'all)
it uses emerge(like Sabayon) so yeah it compiles from source...that's why I prefer Arch's pacman.

Warren Watts
September 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
it uses emerge(like Sabayon) so yeah it compiles from source...that's why I prefer Arch's pacman.

I installed Arch on one of my systems just last week, and I was surprised at how easy it really was. I had the base system and X up and running and was surfing with Firefox in a little over two hours.

ThinkBuntu
September 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Gentoo will teach you Gentoo skills, which have little translation beyond Gentoo. Mainly you'll need to learn Portage and other technologies very well. Slackware will teach you more about Linux than any other OS, in my opinion. You said that was too tough, so Arch is a great choice.

n3tfury
September 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Well...this is...weird?
I keep getting a 0kb/s download rate. So it must be me.
Any ideas?

lol

notwen
September 11th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Gentoo if you want to compile every aspect of your OS. Arch should be good for what you're wanting which is to learn more about Linux.

mostwanted
September 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Gentoo, Slackware, etc. don't have stuff in them that makes more advanced, they just have different package managers and less of the helpful applications available. If you think that kind of software celibacy is more "advanced", then sure, go ahead, but really there's nothing you can do with them you couldn't do on Ubuntu.

Personally, I think the whole concept of an "advanced" Linux distro is crap. If you want to go advanced just go advanced on Ubuntu. I would take a look at a http://linuxcommand.org/ instead. That's how you really learn about Linux.

blithen
September 12th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Gentoo, Slackware, etc. don't have stuff in them that makes more advanced, they just have different package managers and less of the helpful applications available. If you think that kind of software celibacy is more "advanced", then sure, go ahead, but really there's nothing you can do with them you couldn't do on Ubuntu.

Personally, I think the whole concept of an "advanced" Linux distro is crap. If you want to go advanced just go advanced on Ubuntu. I would take a look at a http://linuxcommand.org/ instead. That's how you really learn about Linux.

Hmmm. That's actually a good point.
I still want a good amount of Distros under my belt though.
I will defiantly check out the site you provided though.

southernman
September 12th, 2007, 04:34 AM
If you still want to try Gentoo, do the minimal cd installation.

Just have lots of paper to print out the book of howto... or another computer to read it from.

Although you could use links also.

rsambuca
September 12th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Actually, if you are going to install Gentoo, I suggest you install it from ubuntu. You can do the alternate installation, and have full net access for the guide while you let it compile in the background via a chroot environment.

Also, you could use linux from scratch to learn how everything interacts.

DjBones
September 12th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Zenwalk is a pretty flashy version of slackware, so it makes for less headaches when you don't feel like fixing problems.. but really its just a nice xfce desktop over a slack base.
I'd also recommend Debian/Slack/Gentoo/Arch have been the power user distro's for a while. I know I learned the most from Gentoo's installation/compiling, but over time I felt like Slack made me much more competent in linux..
You should look into FreeBSD/OpenBSD they are pretty not user friendly too ;)

GSF1200S
September 12th, 2007, 07:47 AM
You could always do these distros from a virtual machine. You still get to learn about Linux, but you can use your host OS while you tinker with the guest. And of course, if you screw something up, you still have your main OS...

siimo
September 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Ubuntu = Best advanced linux distro ever! http://www.beatlelinks.net/ubb/smilies/thumbsup.gif