PDA

View Full Version : PC Mag, ubuntu and wine

ant2ne
September 11th, 2007, 04:37 AM
PC Magazine (article begins on page 70) Brings the spotlight, again, to Ubuntu.

But I'm upset with the wine based Question on page 72. "... But installing and configuring Wine takes time, effort, and a fairly high degree of technical know-how..."

sudo apt-get install wineThat about covers it for installing wine.

sudo winecfgThis might require a little more work, but trial and error will solve most of the problems.

Check wineHQ. See if your favorite program/game/app is supported and what its rating is.

How hard is that?

$0.02

Nano Geek
September 11th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Yea.
Same thing happened in PCWorld's magazine. Right before Feisty came out they did a comparison of the major OS's: Windows XP and Vista, OS X, and Ubuntu.

They said that installing Compiz required "expert installation and configuration." :confused:

I don't think that running sudo apt-get install compiz && compiz --replace is so hard do you?

VraiChevalier
September 11th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I read the PC Mag article. Nice to see Ubuntu in there. I think I read that they (PC Mag) are going to include Linux stuff in every other issue.

I would tend to agree with the article regarding Wine. I had it installed on a desktop PC running Dapper 6.06 Alternate and never did get it to work. I figured I just didn't have a high enough "degree of technical know-how"! I'll give it a whirl again after I get some other stuff figured out.

That's the beauty of this Ubuntu stuff though; it can be figured out by an average user.

A Linux geek friend of mine told me the older version of Wine works better than the newest one. (I'm sure I don't know!)

jrusso2
September 11th, 2007, 07:13 AM
PC Magazine (article begins on page 70) Brings the spotlight, again, to Ubuntu.

But I'm upset with the wine based Question on page 72. "... But installing and configuring Wine takes time, effort, and a fairly high degree of technical know-how..."

sudo apt-get install wineThat about covers it for installing wine.

sudo winecfgThis might require a little more work, but trial and error will solve most of the problems.

Check wineHQ. See if your favorite program/game/app is supported and what its rating is.

How hard is that?

$0.02

Just because you can install wine doesn't mean your game is going to run in it. Or if it does work will it work well.

ant2ne
September 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Just because you can install wine doesn't mean your game is going to run in it. Or if it does work will it work well.But that has nothing to do with installing and configuring. If the article wanted to be honest the author could have said exactly what you did.