PDA

View Full Version : Stacks

cubytes
September 11th, 2007, 02:59 AM
I have played around with my original concept for Stacks for quite some time.

At first it was basically a stack of applications, kind of like a detached collapsible side-bar that can be moved around and even rotated into a dock.

Then it simply became a view for massive amounts of documents.

Now it has turned into something more unique. I used the Stacks concept to design a document manager, my approach for a document manager will do to documents what media players did for music files.

I mean wouldn't it suck if every time you wanted to play a song you had to go to the source to play each song individually like it is a whole new world?

If you can do it for media files why cant you do it for documents and other content file formats?

Also why cant we nest all of the office applications together like a media players nest music and videos together, wouldn't it suck to have to open up another application each time you wanted to listen to a song or watch a home movie?

It is all basically the same principle right?

ok so here is the deal:

- I have improved the GUI for word processors and I have came up with some really nifty lightweight applications to add into stacks

-I would be willing to work with who ever decides to take up this project

-because I want my ideas to be open source

cubytes
September 11th, 2007, 05:26 AM
Ok so stacks is a:
-word processor
-power point
-spreadsheet
-bulletin board
-note aggregate
-up loader/collaborator
and a
-blog client and forum client

The word processor:

The word processor will have a twist to it, instead of being a redundant blank white space for text, it will resemble notebook paper, and the actual documents will be represented in a way that resembles a notebook, this will help consolidate a lot of the messy word documents that float around on the hard drive allowing them to have a relationship with each other without being the same document!! Oh yeah another thing is that multiple notebooks that open will be displayed in new tabs. Tabbed word documents who ever would have thought of that?

Power point

just a more intuitive open source power point application

Spread-sheets

I personally hate spread sheets but I really haven't spent much time expanding on this application, so yeah I need to redesign this application somehow for stacks, hmmmm..... here is a thought, how about being able to make spread sheets in chart and graph form first, and then have the option to transfer them over to a spreadsheet when necessary, so yeah this spreadsheet application will have an emphasis on charts and graphs.

Bulletin board:

basically a huge space that looks like partial board, this space will expand as needed and function somewhat like a web-page, bulletin boards will automatically be dated and stored on a dynamic time line, there can be all kinds of add ins for this application, for instance text can be displayed on sticky notes, or a piece of paper thumb tacked to the board, pictures, videos and other content found on the web or created can also be added to the bulletin board in a similar fashion, either by copy and paste or simply dragged and dropped from the note aggregate.

Note Aggregate:

So far there are no desktop applications that have got this right. The reason is integration and implementation. My note aggregate which is not the official name will be very unique and will integrate seamlessly with firefox and other web browsers and applications like e-mail RSS, and other stuff.

The main reason a lot of the firefox extensions haven't got this right is because they are web based and they either try and wrap the content around a social network or have a very ugly and crowded interface. The only application that has almost got this right is flock, with their web clipboard, but the content is prisoned by the side-bar and really can not be manipulated much.

So I have devised a solution to this problem. There will be a button in the tool-bar that will hide and show a vector window drop box, you simply move your mouse over the section you want to grab and once you see the outline cover the content you want you simply click, drag and drop into the drop-box which will then prompt you to tag the content you just added.

The note aggregate will work kind of like delicious does as far as storing the content into one huge pile or folder, but organizing it via the tags associated with that content. All content dropped into this box will show up in the note aggregate. The tags will be like play lists to your content and when it is in stacks you can pretty much do whatever you want with it!!!

up-loader/collaboration features

This is my approach to extending your content onto the web. The cool thing about this feature is the ability to upload your content and documents on the web so you can always have access to it. Another cool feature is that once this is set up Stacks will dynamically synchronize with the web; any changes made in stacks will be added to the web and any changes made on the web will automatically appear in Stacks.

This feature is also meant for collaboration with selected content and added users. Content and documents can be dragged and dropped into sets as easy as dragging a song into a play list. The sets are intelligent databases of the content the user selects to collaborate on. What I mean by intelligent is that there will always be a master copy that will reflect the actual copy that is in stacks, any changes made to this copy by any user other then the original author will be saved separately and super imposed onto the master copy, only the user who originally created the material can choose to apply the changes. Changes made will be tracked by user name and date.

Also there can be add-ons for this application such as sticky notes, dialog boxes, comment fields and groups and other low level social web services!!!

Blog and Forum Client

This feature is actually quite interesting. Users will be able to compose a blog in Stacks, save it as a draft and when finished be able to post it to multiple blog sites simultaneously. The really cool thing about this feature is the fact that you will be able to see all of the comments posted about this blog from multiple sites all together in Stacks, and users will be able to reply to these comments from Stacks as well. So from now on the only reason a user should ever have to go to their own blog site is to adjust the layout and design.

Likewise the Forum client will work on the same principle. Users will be able to compose a forum post in Stacks. Then the users will be able to select the forum and forum section that they want to post to, and then presto, you just posted the same post to 5 different forums. Also users will be able to see the comments all together in Stacks and be able to reply to them as well. I would also like to be able to access these forums from Stacks but that is probably against copyright!!

so what do you think?

Wybiral
September 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM
You seem to have LOTS of ideas... Maybe too many!

I suggest you put your ideas in a "Queue" and try to accomplish them one at a time. Trying to create all of these applications at the same time into one massive application will be VERY time consuming and daunting.

Perhaps you should just create the entire Stack concept (which I'm not quite clear I understood) then start working on the smaller applications after that. But I wouldn't be worrying about what the text editor looks like until you've already got the base of the entire Stack concept finished.

Maybe I'm missing something though...

cubytes
September 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Your right I should start with one at a time, but I really don't have the time to learn how to write code, I work 2 jobs and take online classes, which pretty much takes up most of my time.

As far as the ideas, they pretty much come to me, there are few occasions when I would actually have to brainstorm to figure out how I am going to accomplish the idea, but other then that it just flows.

Once I have a decent concept I wrap it up by choosing the name and I then decide how I want to implement it. A lot of times I put them all together so it is easier for me to keep up with.

Stacks has been a lot of things, but now I want it to be an entire office suite in one massive application, cross platform and free

-the bulletin board and the note aggregate can be add-ons

aks44
September 11th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Your right I should start with one at a time, but I really don't have the time to learn how to write code

Too bad everyone out there is already busy working and coding their own ideas...

As an advice: if you want to see your ideas implemented, better learn to program. If you don't, you risk either: your ideas will never be implemented, or: you'll have to wait quite some time and then let someone else take all the credit.

You have 3 choices, pick one. ;)

CptPicard
September 11th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Another possibility, considering that he tends to mostly have vague user interface ideas, is to really go to school for UI design and honestly, get into the industry. There are positions for non-coders. There he will get the recognition he deservers, if the ideas merit it.

Of course, there is always the possibility for this Fountain of Ideas to "buy Novell and create his own legacy" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3235629&postcount=13)... (the thread is a hoot :) )

pmasiar
September 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
brilliant ideas are a dime a dozen, want some? I have plenty!

aks44
September 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
"buy Novell and create his own legacy" (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3235629&postcount=13)

LMAO! I guess I'd better buy Microsoft earlier than I thought, so I can take control of Novell before him. :p

Wybiral
September 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM
The only way you're going to see someone actually START your project is if you have some cash to fork out (for instance, I would even help if there was money involved)... Otherwise your only chance is to start it yourself, then others may help if they like what they see.

So, learn to program or put up a cash reward on your ideas, otherwise you really can't expect others to do your work for you.

LaRoza
September 11th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Many of what you said already exists:

* The word processor you describe describes MS Office Onenote very well. (It actually is a pretty cool app.) It may also describe a FOSS app, I never looked into it.

* OO Impress and MS Powerpoint are good for what they do (slide shows) and if you want something else, Opera has a new feature for slide shows

* The spreadsheet idea isn't so great. The point of charts and graphs is to visually represent data, which is usually numerical in nature. It must be collected, then graphed. Graphing first without the data is futile.

* There are a lot of sticky note applications, I am not sure what you want for that.

* For the bulletin board, there is a new wiki like app for computers. It fulfills the function you describe, I have forgotten the name, will find later.

* That web integration seems too much in the context of a single application.

This "Stacks" idea is a very large and complicated app, which may negate its usefulness if it were to exist.

################################################## ########
-EDIT

To the OP:

I just looked at your other posts. They are filled with ideas that you want others to implement including touch screens, evolution, browsers, apps....

Everyone has ideas, and many people are probably busy with their own lives and ideas. Telling others about them is likely to do nothing useful. If you want to have these ideas become reality, you are going to have to either provide the incentive (money) or do them yourself.

cubytes
September 11th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Nice

I love criticism

I would love to have the money to pay programmers to write code for me, the only problem is to get money you have to prove there will be a definite profit and a quick return on the investment, with open source being free and everything it will be very difficult to get funding.

I am only trying to help the open source community, if I really cared about the credit or money I would sell out and develop my ideas for Windows or Mac.

I DONT CARE ABOUT MONEY OR CREDIT

More details about Stacks:

Word Processor:
-word documents are represented as notebooks users will be able to choose from different styles like fivestar, old school composition or whatever
-you would view the document similar to how a digital magazine works
-you would edit it in two modes classic and modern
- the classic mode is basically the traditional blank white space and documents build down as you add text
-modern mode is where documents build from left to right
-in modern mode users can choose to keep the paper style or drop it when editing text
-notebooks can be exported to PDF, and other document file formats if necessary.

Spread-sheet
Instead of having to set the layout first this application will take data first and automatically set the layout for the user
-users will be given a simple interface to add fields, objects, items, tags, and value as well as set the relationships
-the sheet, graphs and charts are then generated

Power Point
-haven't made any improvements to this aspect of the application

Bulletin Board:
-there will be two styles bulletin board and white board
-will be synchronized on the web
-the reason I want to use a bulletin board is because inspiration and ideas come out of no where. It would be nice to collect all of these jotted down ideas together instead of making a whole new word document just to jot down a quick idea or note
-the reason I want to track and store them by date is because it would be cool to be able to track the progression of your project through your notes and ideas, just to make sure you didn't forget something

Note Aggregate:
-the reason I want to use this and integrate it into Stacks and web browsers and other applications is because I think it would be cool to keep a collection of content you find interesting and the reason I put it into stacks is because power point presentations and blogs are normally made with a lot of content.

Collaboration:
I haven't made any improvements to this I still think my original idea is worthy enough

Blog and Forum Client:
-just an expansion of other aspects in which text is involved

Thanks for all of your feedback and criticism keep it coming!!!!!

oh and by the way I don't really give specific details unless someone commits to help out with my ideas

Wybiral
September 11th, 2007, 10:14 PM
oh and by the way I don't really give specific details unless someone commits to help out with my ideas

Why not? You aren't going to get anyone interested with vague descriptions of software that hasn't been started and has no clear direction. Your best chance is that you pick up a language (try Python, it's easy) and YOU lay down some initial code. Then people may jump in or criticize/perfect your code until you have the start of a project.

cubytes
September 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I wish I had the time to learn python but I dont............

what specific details do you want to know about stacks
I will tell you everything just ask

Stacks is a all in one office suite, the interface is similar to a media player, (i.e. side bar, library, and everything)

The documents created in Stacks are saved by Stacks in a Stacks directory, just like media files are when they are downloaded or added to Itunes. Stacks will do to office files and formats as media players have done to media files and formats, plus it is a whole office suite in one application

what else do you want to know?

CptPicard
September 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM
So the basic idea is just like the numerous attempts to replace the traditional filesystem with a database engine, like Microsoft's new FS that got dropped out of Vista? If you had that, you could code pretty much any sort of "media player" on top of it, as you can just query all the metadata and even file contents and organize according to the result...

OS X has a search feature that seeks to similarly flatten out the strict hierarchy, never used it though.

cubytes
September 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I am not sure Stacks is a new FS hierarchy but rather a new way to store and manipulate office files and content.

I had prosed a hybrid database like file system of my own, meant to run on a home multimedia networks. This file system will isolate the users content, files and folders from the OS. This isolation was done to ensure that the host motherboard running their desktop environment would not be filled up and therefore would rarely need to be replaced.

The content, files and folders of course would be stored on an external raid array, and that space is all the users would see, as far as installing programs the user would just click install and the OS would know what to do.

dont get me started on my RMMM concept

oh and by the way RMMM is pronounced like "arm" which stands for a rack mounted multiple mother board dock, with hot swappable motherboards, basically a commercialized blade server tweaked for whole house interaction multimedia experience, but that is another subject for another time.

pmasiar
September 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I had prosed a hybrid database ...This file system will isolate the users content, files and folders from the OS. ... the host motherboard running their desktop environment would not be filled up and therefore would rarely need to be replaced.

I work with databases for 20 years now but never encountered this problem: database/files filling motherboard so it needs be replaced! ouch! I guess I was lucky! :-)

Can you elucidate more about what exactly happened and how you fixed it?

CptPicard
September 12th, 2007, 08:03 PM
It's an interesting concept though, isolating users' files from the operating system. Apparently, the apps or stacks or whatever takes control of everything down to hardware level so that the problematic pesky OS doesn't get the chance to fill up the motherboard. Right?

And of course, the ordinary consumer just loves the idea of hot-swapping filled-up motherboards... but isn't stacks cannibailizing this market? :-k

aks44
September 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I work with databases for 20 years now but never encountered this problem: database/files filling motherboard so it needs be replaced! ouch! I guess I was lucky! :-)

Indeed you were lucky ! I had that ABIT mobo which got so filled up that its capacitors leaked, finally rendering the whole mobo useless (it wouldn't even boot anymore).

Most of my motherboard's capacitors looked like that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bad_Capacitor_01.jpg) after this incident (image courtesy of Wikipedia). (no kidding, this really happened to me :()

I guess cubytes' Stacks / RMMM could have saved me a few bucks way back then... :mrgreen:

cubytes
September 13th, 2007, 02:35 AM
no unfortunately stacks has nothing to do with the hybrid file system and the RMMM system with the hot swappable motherboard concept which will be mostly used for upgrading modular hardware equipment more conveniently.

stacks is just an entire office suite in one application that manages the documents, power point presentations and spread sheets like a media player manages media files.

Wybiral
September 13th, 2007, 02:44 AM
stacks is just an entire office suite in one application that manages the documents, power point presentations and spread sheets like a media player manages media files.

In what way will stacks benefit the user in a way that an already robust application suite like Open Office doesn't already? This is an important issue.

It must have a unique and practical purpose or developers won't want to waste their time on it (when they could just help with an already large and successful project like Open Office).

Note360
September 13th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I had a simular idea... However, if you logically name your heirarchy it shouldnt be to hard to navigate

ex I do it kinda like this

\
|- development
| |- java
| |- python
| |- c family
| | |- c
| | |- cpp
| | |- objective c
| | /
| / /
| /
| /
| /
|/
|____________________ The end _______________________

cubytes
September 13th, 2007, 04:46 AM
This is what users will benefit from Stacks that isn't already available in open office:

-users will be able to utilize one application interface to compose documents power points and spread sheets, instead of having to compose each individually as a separate entity, such benefit will warrant the ability to compose a document, spreadsheet and power point presentation simultaneously in one window.
-the interface will not only be a whole new fresh exciting approach to office applications, but it will also be more intuitive and productive for noobs and power users.
-document management is the most important benefit because users will not have to think about where to save each document or each spread sheet or each power point presentation, Stacks will do this the same way itunes saves media files, plus accessing such documents and other stuff will be done through stacks therefore the users will not have to manager or keep up with their stuff, they need only to click on the library in the sidebar and all of there stuff is there right in front of them, without having to go from one directory to another.
-Stacks will allow users to not only be able to access their stuff on the web where ever they are, but they will also be able to collaborate on such stuff as well, this can also serve as an automatic back-up to their stuff in the event that something unfortunate happens
-Stacks will allow users to keep all of their notes together and be able to track these notes and their progression, this will also be good for storyboards and project planing.
-Stacks will allow users to keep a collection of interesting content to use in power point presentations, blogs and documents.

Stacks will be better then open office and in the long run you will understand that I mean business and that I am the only one who can make free software more accessible to the next generation of users who will expect more then the ordinary or want more then something that just simply works, no more compromises now is the time to take action before it is too late. I will do as much as I can to make the hardware more ubiquitous and pleasing, it is up to you to make the software that lives up to my expectations, and to ultimately bring my vision to life

but then again who am I and what do I know, I am just an average joe working two jobs while taking night classes for IT, but then again who really gives a ///// about my dreams and what I want to accomplish while I am here on this Earth!!

pmasiar
September 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM
...in the long run you will understand that I mean business and that I am the only one who can make free software more accessible to the next generation of users

strong words. So are you taking over the ubuntu? Good, I am sure everyone is tired of Mark's blog posts. :-)

now is the time to take action before it is too late. I will do as much as I can to make the hardware more ubiquitous and pleasing, it is up to you to make the software that lives up to my expectations, and to ultimately bring my vision to life

ah, so you are taking over Intel too? Or some mobo maker? That would be harder.

What will happen to bad, bad programmers whose software would **not** live up to your expectations? Will they be shot? Or just thrown to the dungeons to starve?

but then again who am I and what do I know, I am just an average joe working two jobs while taking night classes for IT, but then again who really gives a ///// about my dreams and what I want to accomplish while I am here on this Earth!!

you hit nail on the head! The deepest insight of all comments!

cubytes
September 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
no I will not shoot any programmers that don't live up to my expectations, I will just fire them and find somebody else willing to make a difference

programmers are a dime a dozen you only need money

ideas are sacred you can not teach creativity or train someone to be able to have good ideas and vision, you either have or you don't!!

aks44
September 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM

*Incompetent* programmers are worth a dime a dozen, since nowadays anyone with half a brain and having written a 500 loc toy application calls himself a "programmer".

Now if you want to hire competent people that know their sh**, indeed you'll need money. Lots of. ;)

But believe me it's well worth the investment, especially for mid-to-big projects, as they won't screw it up (contrary to cheap clueless newbies).

Always the same stuff... if you want to make big cash, you'd better be ready to put up some big cash upfront. ;)

ideas are sacred you can not teach creativity or train someone to be able to have good ideas and vision, you either have or you don't!!

The same goes for insight. And creativity without insight is worth nothing in the IT business, it just means failure (while insight without creativity can really mean a big success).

pmasiar
September 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Did you checked programmer's salaries recently? Cheap programmers are about a million a dozen, not counting benefits and insurance :-)

yes indeed. It never occurred to you that anyone with half a hare's brains can in half an hour invent dozen ideas how to take over the world? Difference is in quality of those ideas.

Linus used to stop BS like this with saying: "talk is cheap, show us the code!"

Wybiral
September 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM
-users will be able to utilize one application interface to compose documents power points and spread sheets, instead of having to compose each individually as a separate entity, such benefit will warrant the ability to compose a document, spreadsheet and power point presentation simultaneously in one window.

This narrows it down some, I don't know why you didn't say this in the first place. You want to make an office application that is 'all-in-one'? So basically you want a large, bloated application that takes forever to load even just to edit a small document? I can't think of a situation when I would need that.

Exactly what audience are you targeting here? I don't think the average user would need it to be 'all-in-one', but maybe you have a specific audience in mind. If so, you should state that. If you expect your ideas to come to life, you have to stop being vague.

the interface will not only be a whole new fresh exciting approach to office applications, but it will also be more intuitive and productive for noobs and power users.

It's easy for me to say something like "this reply will be new and exiting and will change the way you view forums" but that doesn't do anything. We would need the hows and whys.

-document management is the most important benefit because users will not have to think about where to save each document or each spread sheet or each power point presentation, Stacks will do this the same way itunes saves media files, plus accessing such documents and other stuff will be done through stacks therefore the users will not have to manager or keep up with their stuff, they need only to click on the library in the sidebar and all of there stuff is there right in front of them, without having to go from one directory to another.

Once again, what target audience are you going for? I hate itunes, I hate that it tries to manage your media... The only reason it does it is so it can sync with an ipod. Why should your document manager exist? Who would benefit?

-Stacks will allow users to not only be able to access their stuff on the web where ever they are, but they will also be able to collaborate on such stuff as well, this can also serve as an automatic back-up to their stuff in the event that something unfortunate happens

On who's server is this all going to go? Sounds like it's going to require a lot of space and bandwidth... Which means a lot of money.

-Stacks will allow users to keep all of their notes together and be able to track these notes and their progression, this will also be good for storyboards and project planing.
-Stacks will allow users to keep a collection of interesting content to use in power point presentations, blogs and documents.

How will stacks do either of these things? Stop being so vague. You couldn't find actors and set designers by saying "hey everyone, I'm making a movie, it's going to be awesome".... You need to explain as much of the specifics as possible.

I'm also going to ask why you can't learn something like Python (which will allow you to quickly get started on this, which is all it will take to get others interested). In the time that you take to check this forum and write your responses you could be learning Python... It only takes a week or so, invest that time if you ever want to see your plans come true.

All you have to do is start it... Write up a design plan and some specifications... And if others like the idea, they will be glad to help out. But you're very likely not going to find someone interested in writing it from the ground up!

CptPicard
September 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Methinks cubytes has a brilliant future ahead of him in the vaporware section of Microsoft's PR department.. :)

cubytes
September 14th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Target Audience:
-teenagers and young adults

document management is optional, I guess, just trying to save some of the hassle of creating and storing word documents

you see through everything my friend, ok there will be a tool-bar that runs in the system tray, this tool-bar will have 7 buttons

1)Stacks
2)note-books
3)spread-sheets
4)power point presentation
5)blog
6)bulletin board
7)content

this will give users quick fast access to each component

more to come.............................................. .................................................

pmasiar
September 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM
I just read about another brilliant inventor with vision how to write better file compressor (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.compression/browse_thread/thread/63db3f711c83d4c0/a0f09c085ce4aa7f) by using fractals and Wolfram math. He even used something he called "bit splitting" to get even better compression. Of course, to save space, he deleted his original files before writing decompressor to add motivation to write it.

CptPicard
September 14th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Ideas live and die by their true merits, and I think this Stacks thingy is getting more attention than it deserves.

Don't feed the troll. :)

cubytes
September 14th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Ok so I have been wasting time trying to convince all of you that Stacks is the next big thing since sliced bread, but what I should of been doing is trying to figure out how Stacks will manage the documents and power points and spread sheets.

When the user installs Stacks, there will be a directory created for each user within the Stacks directory. There will also be a set of sub directories created as well. Kind of like this:

-Stacks
-user1, user2, user3

-user1
-documents, spread sheets, power-point, content, bulletin-boards, blogs

same thing for user2 and user3

in the document directory is where stacks will store all of the documents by tittle name, users will also give each document a set of tags as well

same thing for the other directories

This way there will be no more save as only a save button.

besides users will no longer have to go to the source to locate a document or whatever like I said they need only to click into the library in the sidebar or tool bar and boom all of there stuff is sitting there in front of them!!!

Wybiral
September 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM
OK, it makes a little more sense now. But you do need to consider a few things...

1. If this is all you want, don't bother writing this stuff "ground-up", just fork open office apps to save like this (it would probably be really easy).

2. You are trying to do the users organization for them (or more accurately, force the users to be organized). I wouldn't use this app. Often times I need more control and will need that "save as" button that you seem to want to exclude.

3. What happens when they need to save documents with the same title? Suppose they just need to make a simple "readme" to go with something they're working on... And they have multiple of these "readme" files. Are they going to have to branch their document folder into oblivion just to allow the name they want? Seems like I'd rather just drop the document where I want it in my file system.

You say your target is "teenagers and young adults"... Why? How do they benefit from all of this? You should try to elaborate more on these features and why they would be useful to your audience.

Personally, I enjoy Linux because of the level of control I have. I don't want some app telling me where to put my files and I don't know why "young" people in-general would. Please elaborate.

Note360
September 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM
EDIT: sorry abit hostile.

I dont know its cool in theory but it will be flawed in execution.

loganwm
February 7th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I'm posting in the long-dead thread because I've contacted Cubytes and we have decided to collaborate on a project similar to the aforementioned ideas.

The working title that has been chosen is WhiteBoard and it's a simpler, less resource intensive, more realistic Stacks.

We're in the Planning stage currently and I'm researching the SDL libraries to work out how this will be accomplished. I have a few pages of my design notes in a notebook and a bit of preliminary code testing a couple of functions proposed.

Cubytes may or may not be returning to this forum to post, however, I do plan on keeping updates hosted either here or on my own personal blog once we have more solid work accomplished.

I'm not attempting to be a troll, and I hope readers don't believe Cubytes is a troll either, I've simply just recognized a few good ideas and decided to put them to the test in a grounded, down-to-earth, practical way.

If anyone has any constructive input, positive or negative, I'm open to any suggestions or criticism and I appreciate it sincerely.

My Regards,
Logan M.

CptPicard
February 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
You may be interested in the history of Project Xanadu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Xanadu).

Tomosaur
February 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm posting in the long-dead thread because I've contacted Cubytes and we have decided to collaborate on a project similar to the aforementioned ideas.

The working title that has been chosen is WhiteBoard and it's a simpler, less resource intensive, more realistic Stacks.

We're in the Planning stage currently and I'm researching the SDL libraries to work out how this will be accomplished. I have a few pages of my design notes in a notebook and a bit of preliminary code testing a couple of functions proposed.

Cubytes may or may not be returning to this forum to post, however, I do plan on keeping updates hosted either here or on my own personal blog once we have more solid work accomplished.

I'm not attempting to be a troll, and I hope readers don't believe Cubytes is a troll either, I've simply just recognized a few good ideas and decided to put them to the test in a grounded, down-to-earth, practical way.

If anyone has any constructive input, positive or negative, I'm open to any suggestions or criticism and I appreciate it sincerely.

My Regards,
Logan M.

Why do I get the feeling that this is going to end up exactly the same as OpenOffice's quickstart menu?

Stacks / WhiteBoard is a solution looking for a problem.

loganwm
February 8th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to end up exactly the same as OpenOffice's quickstart menu?

Stacks / WhiteBoard is a solution looking for a problem.

No, you're missing the point just slightly.

It's more-so a viewer for photos and notes, not necessarily a replacement or competition for any other software.

It's just something I'm working on for funsies, and I've decided that I might incorporate some of Cubyte's ideas (the more realistic, do-able ones) and in the process teach him a bit of programming.