PDA

View Full Version : Well I made the switch. What now?

Dreambringer
September 11th, 2007, 12:47 AM
So I have been reading the forums all day, just reading up on what works and what does not.

Came home from work.. and installed Ubuntu. Everything worked like a champ. Network drivers, Sound Drivers, no errors, no nothing. Things are looking great!

Well now that everything is working... I am not sure what to do...

I mean it looks nice.. it boots a bit slow.. but I am sure it is because of the dual boot and all that jazz (which I plan on drop'n now that things work).

So I guess I am asking... what makes Ubuntu better/differnt then Windows? I mean other then it is NOT owned by Microsoft.

Are there StyleXP/WindowsBlinds kinda things... Where can I start looking at customizing the desktop and such?

Also just wanted to say THANKS to the community for your help, this is a great site.. and almost all my questions were answered without having to post a single question... Thanks!!

Sp4cedOut
September 11th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Well, if you want to customize your computer you can start by going to:

http://www.gnome-look.org
or
http://www.kde-look.org

depending if you use gnome or KDE. You could also consider installing Compiz-Fusion depending on your hardware. You can customize pretty much anything on the Linux GUI, if you just keep playing around with it.

Dr Small
September 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Are there StyleXP/WindowsBlinds kinda things... Where can I start looking at customizing the desktop and such?

You can start by looking on Gnome-Look.org (http://gnome-look.org) for Themes, Login Styles, Wallpapers, Icons, etc.

Great resource.

Dr Small

diatribe
September 11th, 2007, 12:53 AM
you could also install a different window manager, many are more customizable than others. compiz was mentions, enlightenment is also nice for eyecandy effects

rfruth
September 11th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I find the Google toolbar almost essential oh and GooglEarth ... http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/toolbar/FT3/intl/en/

starcraft.man
September 11th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Two words: Compiz Fusion.

Play with that, and there are plenty of options in the regular GNOME/KDE build too for customizing.

Oh and if your looking for applications, here. (http://linuxappfinder.com/) And check Windows section, will list equivalents. It's really up to you what to do though, the OS is only a platform to do things. Like I'm making a... oh, hehe, that's a secret. :p

Darn it... so much for two words. Well have fun dream :).

Dreambringer
September 11th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Thank you guys for the sugguestions... there really are some cool things out there... I have started to tweak the options for GNOME/KDE, and so far no break...

I do have a small question... and I can put this in another spot if needed...

I decided since to give a new brower a shot.. figured since I was try'n a new platform I would try all kindsa new things. So I downloaded Opera. I am in love. I know Opera has been around for years, but I never got around to try'n it, and now that I have, I have no idea where it has been all my life...

I do have one small problem. I have not been able to figure out how to install the flash plugin for Opera using Ubuntu. Any tutorials out there? I have searched these forums, but did not find much...

thanks in advance for any help...

n3tfury
September 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
... what makes Ubuntu better/differnt then Windows?

maybe that would have been a better question to ask BEFORE installing Ubuntu.

PartisanEntity
September 11th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Well now that everything is working... I am not sure what to do...

That's it, go out and enjoy life, you no longer need to sit in front of your computer maintaining it, plus Chuck Norris doesn't like kids to sit in front of their computer all day.

wersdaluv
September 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
That's it, go out and enjoy life, you no longer need to sit in front of your computer maintaining it, plus Chuck Norris doesn't like kids to sit in front of their computer all day.

+1

As they said, if it's not broken, why fix it?

Stop tweaking (if you don't need to), and start using your computer. :KS

:guitar:

Pancetilla
September 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Chuck Norris doesn't like kids to sit in front of their computer all day.

+100000000000

Dreambringer
September 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM
maybe that would have been a better question to ask BEFORE installing Ubuntu.

I have heard nothing but good things, I had an extra laptop lay'n around so I decided to give it a whirl... It is not like if I would have messed something up I would have been one of those people that just comes back and says how bad Ubuntu is. I prefer to install, try, play, break, fix, before I really have an opinion on software/hardware. Just the kinda person I am, I guess...

LOL guess I never thought of that... As I am going though my list of must haves so far no issues... So far I am very impressed with Ubuntu. For someone that has never messed with Linux in any way or form, getting around and installing things does not seem as hard as I thought it would be. There are the obvious limitations going from Windows to Ubuntu, but so far none that I have really had a hard time with...

Next stop Ubuntu Server...

picpak
September 11th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I do have one small problem. I have not been able to figure out how to install the flash plugin for Opera using Ubuntu. Any tutorials out there? I have searched these forums, but did not find much...

thanks in advance for any help...

Applications > Add/Remove... is your friend (http://ubuntu.freehostia.com/guides/addremove/#flash). :)

delfick
September 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM
who needs real life when you have compiz fusion (wiki.compiz-fusion.org) ?? :D

(just kidding :D)

hessiess
September 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM
you could resertch optimising boot times if you think its to slow;)

aaaantoine
September 11th, 2007, 04:36 PM
If you're interested in playing games, might I recommend Enigma? Look for it on Applications -> Add / Remove.