PDA

View Full Version : Canonical should react!

icett
September 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I think the best way ahead for Canonical for their OSes to be successful and used wide spread worldwide in a very short time is to implement the idea of the React Operating System developers in their present Linux distribution and if for some reason not Linux then create a new operating system based on the NT-Dos whatever it is while also keeping their Linux distribution. If they do that, it is certain that their OS would be as popular as Windows and break its monopoly position since it would be able to run almost everything Windows can run. Also I think if a NT-Dos based OS is developed by Canonical it would certainly be as stable as Linux since it would not be developed the way Microsoft developed Windows with their greedy monopoly power and hence there remained many problems unresolved. I don't think that the React OS team would be able to do what they wish since they are short of capital while Canonical certainly can. What do you think about this guys?:)

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'd prefer a GNU/Hurd based distribution in a couple of years. That seems a hell of a lot more realistic than an NT based one. ;)

Debian is making a GNU/Hurd based distro, so it's not that big of a stretch to think there might be a Ubuntu Hurd sometime within the next 5-10 years.

happysmileman
September 10th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Fail... This is the same as everyone suggesting Wine implementation (well technically different, but morally the same).

Ubuntu is not and never will be a cheap Windows rip off... If you make it so that it can run even 90% of Windows programs it'd still be considered a cheap rip-off by the average user... If it can't run any Windows programs it's an interesting and completely seperate OS.

Not to mention the security risks involved... You could either fix the bugs and break many programs or get the programs to work by implementing the security flaws in Windows, the only thing stupider than MS causing flaws by mistake is someone purposely creating the exact same flaws to get users

ryno519
September 11th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I think the interesting thing to watch over the next few years is going to be C#/.NET programs intended for Windows making their way over to GNU/Linux by way of Mono. This is where some of the more important interoperability is going to be coming from, not low level binary compatibility with Windows, but source compatibility and binary compatibility on the CLR with Mono/.NET applications.