PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu In Anyway Preventing Freedom ?

adewale
September 10th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Ubuntu to me has always been a promoter of open source so why did this guy place this on
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Protect+Freedom+From+Ubuntu?content=66058&PHPSESSID=5a43e00146caff618efef6f24810ef8a
Its even on an open source website for crying out loud, maybe am missing something, please someone explain better to me.
Thanks

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Don't feed the troll.

Luinar
September 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM
No, it isn't.

The whole thing reeks of troll if you ask me.

Kingsley
September 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM
He's probably a Fedora user.

J U S T K I D D I N G

adewale
September 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM
now i get it

23meg
September 10th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Ubuntu ships non-Free device drivers and firmware by default, but no non-Free applications whatsoever. The line of thinking here is that the non-Free drivers and firmware shipped are absolutely needed on certain systems; if they aren't shipped, owners of those systems can't use the Free applications that make up the OS, and more users using the Free OS will mean, among other things, more hardware vendors getting interested in releasing specs for their devices and and/or providing Free drivers, and this will open the way to the possibility of an entirely Free OS.

Some people who have a more traditional and rigid approach to software freedom say no to non-Free software altogether, and don't like Ubuntu's compromise. And they're entitled not to like it; it's not necessarily trolling, but this person has seemingly got many other things wrong.

Its even on an open source website for crying out loud,

Open source != Free. Open source merely means that the source code has been disclosed and viewable. Free means that it's also available under a Free software license that allows you to use it free of charge, change it, pass it on, etc. with the same terms under which you received it.

bruce89
September 11th, 2007, 12:03 AM
What is freedom anyway?

ryno519
September 11th, 2007, 12:04 AM
What is freedom anyway?

Wait, I think know this...

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose?

bruce89
September 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Wait, I think know this...

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose?

Sorry, Fahrenheit 9/11 was on.

Freedom is a bit like security, you only notice when it's not there.

starcraft.man
September 11th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Don't feed the troll.

Ditto. Where's the crusade from this guy against Linspire then? It's certainly far less inclined to avoid proprietary... the last version is even Ubuntu :p.

This guy is probably just bored and wanted attention... wouldn't be the first guy to do something for a reaction. Best left ignored.

Oh and OP, the word you were looking for was FLOSS I believe (as opposed to just OSS). You can read the different words here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOSS)

Altarbo
September 11th, 2007, 01:47 AM
[ . . . ]
Open source != Free. Open source merely means that the source code has been disclosed and viewable. Free means that it's also available under a Free software license that allows you to use it free of charge, change it, pass it on, etc. with the same terms under which you received it.http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

justin whitaker
September 11th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Open source != Free. Open source merely means that the source code has been disclosed and viewable. Free means that it's also available under a Free software license that allows you to use it free of charge, change it, pass it on, etc. with the same terms under which you received it.

Not according to Stallman and the FSF. Not that I agree, I'm just saying that their 4 freedoms don't differentiate between source and free.

Just saying. :)

amazingtaters
September 11th, 2007, 02:26 AM
If the whole proprietary drivers really eats your lunch, I believe that gNew Sense is based of ubuntu but excludes any non free content.

ryno519
September 11th, 2007, 02:28 AM
If the whole proprietary drivers really eats your lunch, I believe that gNew Sense is based of ubuntu but excludes any non free content.

You would be correct.

Anthem
September 11th, 2007, 03:26 AM
At least it's a little more polite than the shirts...

I can't say what they said (even bleeped out) because that's against the posting guidelines. But it's covered on this page:

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7543606709.html

Search the page for "shirt."

DjBones
September 11th, 2007, 03:33 AM
sounds like he might need to go back to ******* :-\"

Frak
September 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Heh? Oh no, nothing about PCLOS, Linspire, Freespire, Xandros, Linux Mint, etc. No lets all just attack Ubuntu?

Does not compute :P

igknighted
September 11th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Heh? Oh no, nothing about PCLOS, Linspire, Freespire, Xandros, Linux Mint, etc. No lets all just attack Ubuntu?

Does not compute :P

The price to pay for being #1... you get the good (Dell) and the bad (this crap).