PDA

View Full Version : Which new iPod would you get?

Nano Geek
September 10th, 2007, 06:44 PM
http://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/ipod_hero_shuffle_20070905.jpghttp://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/ipod_hero_nano_20070905.jpghttp://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/ipod_hero_classic_20070905.jpghttp://images.apple.com/home/2007/images/ipod_hero_touch_20070905.jpg

Everyone's seen the new iPods right?
If you were getting one, which one would it be?

starcraft.man
September 10th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Uh, none. There should be an option for that, no reason that any person would/should be "forced" to buy Apple...

markp1989
September 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Uh, none. There should be an option for that, no reason that any person would/should be "forced" to buy Apple...

its a poll about iPods, if you dont like ipods dont buy 1 lol

happy-and-lost
September 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
If I were to buy one (which I wouldn't), it would be the touch. It's the least hideous of the lot, but it's very expensive for the 16GB you get...

mostwanted
September 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
If the iPod classic could play Ogg Vorbis I would have bought one in a heart beat.

Too bad for Apple. Too bad for me. Too bad for my music library.

markp1989
September 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM
If the iPod classic could play Ogg Vorbis I would have bought one in a heart beat.

Too bad for Apple. Too bad for me. Too bad for my music library.

It is possible but not with apples firmware, i have rockbox on mine and according to the site rockbox can play ogg, but i have never tried

LowSky
September 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
i got a 5 month old 5.5 gen Ipod video (80gig)

but the Ipod tough w/ its wireless would be kinda cool
maybe i will ebay mine to fund the touch

super breadfish
September 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
The Touch is a gimmick. 16GB is way too small. Make that 160Gb like the new Classic and then we'll talk.

Not that I'd ever by an Apple product anyway.

Nano Geek
September 10th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Personally, I like the new Nano. It has the features of the big version, yet is is so small.

By the way, why do so many of you dislike Apple?

hessiess
September 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
thay all have discusting roundid edges, i would not buy any i pod

hint: put a none option into the poll;)

ghantoos
September 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
"None" should be an option.

Bad polling.

Cheers,

ghantoos

rsambuca
September 10th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Where is the "None of the Above" selection for those of us that would chose another similar product?

Nano Geek
September 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
There isn't a way to change a poll, is there?

ubuntu-geek
September 10th, 2007, 07:54 PM
There isn't a way to change a poll, is there?
I added "None" for you ..

Nano Geek
September 10th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks

mostwanted
September 10th, 2007, 07:56 PM
It is possible but not with apples firmware, i have rockbox on mine and according to the site rockbox can play ogg, but i have never tried

I have used both iPodLinux and RockBox, and neither does it for me. They're hacks at best. I'm certainly not gonna buy a €300 gadget to run hacked firmware on.

southernman
September 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
easy there *insert hard freaking nickname to type out* your thread may cause a stink with those "unreal people!" ;)

I voted none!

^^^^ Doesn't need to keep up with the Jones.

synthaxx
September 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Hacked ipod touch...

...when they bring one out with a harddrive.

Or maybe an iphone, with harddrive ofcourse ;)
As it stands though, they all lack things that i want, so it seems i'm not going to get any of them.

markp1989
September 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I have used both iPodLinux and RockBox, and neither does it for me. They're hacks at best. I'm certainly not gonna buy a €300 gadget to run hacked firmware on.

thats understandable, i jus tried them casue already had the i pod (first gen nano), as a "look i can put linux on it" thing ,

Vic!
September 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I have a Nano4 GB 2nd gen that I got as a perk from my job for a project we did. I like it. I use banshee music player on it now. I wouldn't pay $150 for it though. and from the new iPods I'd probably get the nano but I'd wait untill its cheaper. or they make a touch nano thats about the same size and stays the same price.

My gf went out and bought a nano 4GB 2nd gen like a week before the new nano came out. HAHA ...I tried to warn her but she brushed aside my warnings with a "you and your gadgets" attitude.

Patience is a virtue.

init1
September 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM
iPod Touch FWT! Not that I even have an iPod... yet.

Iceni
September 10th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I like the classic. I've had two first-gen nanos break on me for no real reason. The touch is just a gimmic. The shuttle is practical for workout sessions.

Buy a creative player instead.

markp1989
September 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
The Touch is a gimmick. 16GB is way too small. Make that 160Gb like the new Classic and then we'll talk.

I totally agree with you 16gb is no where enough room for videos, music, pictures and contacts.

rsambuca
September 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I totally agree with you 16gb is no where enough room for videos, music, pictures and contacts.

16GB can hold hundreds of hours of music, and hours and hours of videos. What is the problem here? (I am not talking about the ipod specifically, just the size of the storage).

LowSky
September 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM
the touch is just a gsm modual away from being an iphone. so without the modual they made room for 8 more gigs.

16 gigs is plenty of space for a person who often changes the stuff on their ipod like i do.. I own the 80 gig version and could fill it 5 times over, so i have to always pick and choose. I bet i could put at about 20 hours of video on a ipod touch, and thats more than plenty, plus flash uses less battery.

synthaxx
September 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM
16GB can hold hundreds of hours of music, and hours and hours of videos. What is the problem here? (I am not talking about the ipod specifically, just the size of the storage).

If you have access to a computer regularly it's not a problem.
But for those that want to be away for more than a couple of days it's kind of a big deal. Add to that the price and you can see where this is going.

Plus it's kind of a waste of that nice 3.5" touchscreen.

Kingsley
September 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM
The 3rd generation iPod Nano looks very nice. I might get it in a few months so I can listen to music while I lift weights.

derekr44
September 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Is it me or does the new Nano look an aweful lot like a Zen? :confused:

Kingsley
September 10th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Is it me or does the new Nano look an aweful lot like a Zen? :confused:

Haha, you're right. I was just looking at the Zens on Walmart.com and noticed the same thing.

markp1989
September 11th, 2007, 12:14 AM

I was talking about the ipod touch , which is designed to be an all in one product, and 16GB doesnt cut it.

thoughtcriminal
September 22nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Umm, isn't the whole philosophy of ubuntu incompatible with the ipod idea. Ubuntu (and linux in general) is about freedom. Ipods lock you into a worthless subpar proprietary audio format. There is no freedom with an ipod. You can only do what Steve Jobs says you can. Not my idea of fun.

misfitpierce
September 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
iPod nano is any but i'd rather get another company for mp3 player like samsung or something.

nonewmsgs
September 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
ipod classic FTW. 16gb? 16gb wont even hold my picture collection. well maybe in a compressed format.

right now i have a 60gb one and i am using 50gb of it for my music. there are some faults in it, but i do like it a lot. there is nothing with that kind of space to compare it to. sure i was looking at samsung and the other's but they want comparable prices for ~5gb models.

tpg
September 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Well, none at the moment. Basically because they're currently useless with anything other than iTunes (until the database hash is cracked - which I think it recently may have been). Also, seemingly no chance of Rockbox/iPod Linux, as Apple is now using encrypted firmware.

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=325

Crenfinkle
September 22nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
I love my ipod and it works great with Rhythmbox. The other companies' options are not designed nearly as well, and simply aren't appealing at all.

davidgypsy
September 22nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Too "unfree", so none for me right now.

Nano Geek
September 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Umm, isn't the whole philosophy of ubuntu incompatible with the ipod idea. Ubuntu (and linux in general) is about freedom. Ipods lock you into a worthless subpar proprietary audio format. There is no freedom with an ipod. You can only do what Steve Jobs says you can. Not my idea of fun.You can always install RockBox and use any format you want.
Personally, I'm fine with mp3's. Almost every audio player out there use them.

Well, none at the moment. Basically because they're currently useless with anything other than iTunes (until the database hash is cracked - which I think it recently may have been). Also, seemingly no chance of Rockbox/iPod Linux, as Apple is now using encrypted firmware.

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=325Rockbox is like installing Ubuntu. Encryption of the iPod software won't stop you from using it.

karellen
September 22nd, 2007, 10:19 PM
thanks god the OP included the "none" option

nonewmsgs
September 22nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
thanks god the OP included the "none" option

the first two pages of this was him saying he didn't know how and people complaining and an admin adding it.:lolflag:

bobbocanfly
September 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
None, in no way do i support Apples regime of DRM and Vendor Lock-In. They dont work properly on *nix anyway. Why would anyone want one?

LookTJ
September 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
None. I have never bought an iPod and never will buy one although some of my family members have an iPod.

Nano Geek
September 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM
the first two pages of this was him saying he didn't know how and people complaining and an admin adding it.:lolflag:There isn't a way to edit polls after your post them unless you can get an admin to do it.

None, in no way do i support Apples regime of DRM and Vendor Lock-In. They dont work properly on *nix anyway. Why would anyone want one?I haven't had a problem with my iPod Nano working with Linux.

bmannering
September 23rd, 2007, 01:02 AM
I already have the iPhone ad that is the only reason that I still have XP running on my Desktop. But if i had to choose I think I would get the neew nano because I have been using my sisters's pink nano when I run because i have the nike+ shoes and adapter.

fumduck
September 23rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
none, (I own one). Not after the weird whatever they did to lock you out. Not cool.. I spent two days trying to figure out how I broke it before I realised they did. Eh, granted I am not throwing mine away... Just gonna buy the wife something else. Love their technology , don't like their business ways.