PDA

View Full Version : A new forums feature - custom user titles

matthew
September 10th, 2007, 02:19 PM
As a reward to forums users with a long-standing history of involvement we are please to announce that users with post counts of more than 3500 posts are now eligible for custom user titles. Here are the details:

The posts must have been made in areas that count toward overall post count, not the Cafe or Backyard, for example.
If your user title is currently "Ubuntu addict and loving it," then you are eligible. Go to UserCP->Edit Profile and the option should be there for you.
Anyone found posting just for the purposes of adding to their post count may receive a warning or an infraction. Users with a certain number of infraction points (expired or not) will not be given this privilege.I think that's everything. I have also adjusted the post count needed for forum rank images and current user titles to change.

It may take some time for the forums database to be updated and for these changes to take effect for everyone, but I expect the option to begin to appear for eligible users within the next couple of hours.

Dr Small
September 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Good, although I am far from that point :p

Dr Small

notwen
September 10th, 2007, 02:29 PM
That's pretty sweet, I'll be sure to change mine once I'm there, in two-ish years or so. =p

fuscia
September 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
dude, is that you, or chuck norris, in your av?

matthew
September 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
dude, is that you, or chuck norris, in your av?Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

delfick
September 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM
if only posts from other forums counted :P

I swear, if compiz.net still existed I'd have nearly 3000 posts on that forum (1500 from compiz.net, 1000 from beryl-project.org and 500 from opencompositing.org, compiz-fusion.org and compiz.org :D (i never really posted on go-compiz.org)(we went through way too many forums over there :p)

:D

but when i do reach 3500 posts on this forum (which won't happen anytime soon :P) I'm setting mine to "crazy guy" as it should be :D (and was on compiz.net, and is on flashkit.com and compiz-fusion.org :D)

starcraft.man
September 10th, 2007, 02:44 PM
3500 huh? I don't think I need a custom title that bad...

southernman
September 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
As a reward to forums users with a long-standing history of involvement we are please to announce that users with post counts of more than 3500 posts are now eligible for custom user titles. Here are the details:

The posts must have been made in areas that count toward overall post count, not the Cafe or Backyard, for example.
If your user title is currently "Ubuntu addict and loving it," then you are eligible. Go to UserCP->Edit Profile and the option should be there for you.
Anyone found posting just for the purposes of adding to their post count may receive a warning or an infraction. Users with a certain number of infraction points (expired or not) will not be given this privilege.I think that's everything. I have also adjusted the post count needed for forum rank images and current user titles to change.

It may take some time for the forums database to be updated and for these changes to take effect for everyone, but I expect the option to begin to appear for eligible users within the next couple of hours.

Chuck made ya do it... huh? ;)

matthew
September 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM
3500 huh? I don't think I need a custom title that bad...It isn't intended as an incentive as much as an expression of gratitude. That said, with as many posts as you have made since March, you will make it before too long. :)

starcraft.man
September 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM
It isn't intended as an incentive as much as an expression of gratitude. That said, with as many posts as you have made since March, you will make it before too long. :)

LOL! Guess I have made a few... you should have seen me on my old forums :p.

fuscia
September 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

i don't hate you. i think you're goofy looking.

wieman01
September 12th, 2007, 07:14 AM
That's a funny feature and that's exactly the type of thing that makes these forums so likeable & addictive. I have tested it and put in "Forums Administrator" but it won't let me do it. ;-) The system is smart enough to recognize certain key words and consequently removes them. Haha...

mostwanted
September 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Damn. Maybe 80-90% of my posts are in the non-support forums ;) (can't really check properly since the Backyard is exempt from searches)

Maybe I should get back to the support forums, though, haven't really helped people in a while...

mostwanted
September 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM
i don't hate you. i think you're goofy looking.

Your own avatar would be arrested if she walked into a bank :)

matthew
September 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM
That's a funny feature and that's exactly the type of thing that makes these forums so likeable & addictive. I have tested it and put in "Forums Administrator" but it won't let me do it. ;-) The system is smart enough to recognize certain key words and consequently removes them. Haha...Yeah, I tested it a bit. Naughty words are forbidden as well. I'm glad you like it. Thanks again for being a good member of this community!

matthew
September 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Maybe I should get back to the support forums, though, haven't really helped people in a while...:)

slimdog360
September 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM
:)

how come you're allowed to post as many times as you want, but if I make 2 posts in a row I get an infraction?

lisati
September 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
how come you're allowed to post as many times as you want, but if I make 2 posts in a row I get an infraction?

Beats me:confused:

matthew
September 12th, 2007, 11:14 AM
how come you're allowed to post as many times as you want, but if I make 2 posts in a row I get an infraction?I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. If you have had a problem, please post in the Resolution Center and tell your story and I'll gladly look into it...that's what the RC is there for.

Lord Illidan
September 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Woot, I was away for 3 days in Bulgaria and I come here to see this!! Nice feature, thanks!

Spr0k3t
September 13th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Woohoo! $postCount++;

Edit: Aw, man...

yabbadabbadont
September 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Matthew, has the forums code/database ever been updated so that posts to the Community Cafe Games sub-forum are not counted in a user's bean count? If not, everyone who is a regular game player (guilty ;)), will probably be eligible for the a custom user title. (unfairly so, in my opinion)

matthew
September 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Matthew, has the forums code/database ever been updated so that posts to the Community Cafe Games sub-forum are not counted in a user's bean count? If not, everyone who is a regular game player (guilty ;)), will probably be eligible for the a custom user title. (unfairly so, in my opinion)Correct. Posts in the games section should not count any more.

yabbadabbadont
September 15th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Correct. Posts in the games section should not count any more.

Cool. However, it appears that when the threads were originally moved to that forum, the bean counts were increased (hence my >5000), but have not been decreased since the change. Was this an oversight or is it just too big a hassle to correct?

matthew
September 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
too big a hassle to correctIt requires a database reset, which is resource intensive and has the potential to modify some other things which would require a bit of work to fix. We decided those people can keep their extra beans for the moment, until such a time as we have to reset the database anyway. Think of them as being on semi-permanent loan. :)

yabbadabbadont
September 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Think of them as being on semi-permanent loan. :)

Kind of like beer. You just have to enjoy it while it lasts... :lol:

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Testing new title.

In the spirit of humbleness, I changed it to a post count 0 user title to reflect that beans do not equal knowledge.

23meg
December 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I noticed that I don't have this option in "Edit Profile".

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM

http://ubuntuforums.org/profile.php?do=editprofile

It should be the first in "Optional Information"

(Perhaps Ubuntu Members don't have it, I don't know how it is implemented)

bapoumba
December 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM

It should be the first in "Optional Information"

(Perhaps Ubuntu Members don't have it, I don't know how it is implemented)
After some criteria are met, the user group changes to allow the feature. May be it does not work well with the Ubuntu Member group? Or other groups that give special tweaking to the user public profile? I guess Matthew has the answer :)

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
After some criteria are met, the user group changes to allow the feature. May be it does not work well with the Ubuntu Member group? Or other groups that give special tweaking to the user public profile? I guess Matthew has the answer :)

He should spill the beans, so to speak.

matthew
December 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM

After some criteria are met, the user group changes to allow the feature. May be it does not work well with the Ubuntu Member group? Or other groups that give special tweaking to the user public profile? I guess Matthew has the answer :)I bet that is the problem. I'll go look at the permissions for the Ubuntu Members group. Give me a few minutes to set it up, and then feel free to try again. Let me know if it does/doesn't work.

EDIT: That seems to have been the issue. I will need to create another special user group for Ubuntu Members who have more than 3500 posts. It will take me a little longer, but you should have the ability after a short time.

EDIT 2: Oh, heck with it. There are 17 people total in the Ubuntu Members usergroup. I'll give them all the ability to use custom user titles, at least for the moment and until I can talk to the whole FC to ratify the decision.

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I bet that is the problem. I'll go look at the permissions for the Ubuntu Members group. Give me a few minutes to set it up, and then feel free to try again. Let me know if it does/doesn't work.

That was quick....

23meg
December 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
That was quick....

Indeed. Thanks matthew, it's fixed now.

alan34
December 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Question, is this sort of elitist in all seriousness moving away from what makes Ubuntu such a great distro, everybody equal and working together? One of the reasons I am asking is that in all the posts nobody has less than one hundred million beans!!

I know the Administrators/Mods do a great job and a personal thanks from me:)

matthew
December 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Question, is this sort of elitist in all seriousness moving away from what makes Ubuntu such a great distro, everybody equal and working together? One of the reasons I am asking is that in all the posts nobody has less than one hundred million beans!!

I know the Administrators/Mods do a great job and a personal thanks from me:)It is elitist in the sense that there are exactly 16 users with more than 3500 beans and exactly 17 Ubuntu Members (that are not already forums staff). So, we have 33 people who are eligible for a custom user title. Thirty three out of well over 400,000 users is certainly an elite group.

This is not elitist in the sense that we are not saying that these users are better than other users. Rather, we are saying that we appreciate these users' exceptional efforts at being a useful and friendly part of the overall community.

alan34
December 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Struggling to find the right words but here goes......

I know that some people on the forums help loads and loads of people it would not be the same without them. They are special and have helped me out tons and thanks.

I am just questioning if they themselves would want to be considered an elite, is it the Ubuntu way? Does the Ubuntu community need/want an elite of any sort?

My last post on this, wish I hadn't started now no malice intended:confused:

matthew
December 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I am just questioning if they themselves would want to be considered an elite, is it the Ubuntu way? Does the Ubuntu community need/want an elite of any sort?
You know what is really cool? This is a totally optional feature. No one is forced to change their user title. The default one for people with over 3500 posts is a pretty good user title. The default user title for Ubuntu Members is a pretty good user title. In fact, there are probably Ubuntu members who have chosen NOT to take advantage of their special status and are using forum accounts that appear (and are) exactly the same as regular user accounts. If someone does not wish to receive an honor, it is not forced upon them.

That said, I am at a complete loss as to understand why anyone would have a problem with another person being singled out and given a special privilege as a "thank you" for genuine, kindhearted service.

What should we become? A society like that depicted in Harrison Bergeron (http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html)?

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Struggling to find the right words but here goes......

I know that some people on the forums help loads and loads of people it would not be the same without them. They are special and have helped me out tons and thanks.

My last post on this, wish I hadn't started now no malice intended:confused:

Look at my bean count, look at the title I chose for myself. Do I seem elitist?

(If you don't remember, this is the title of someone with a bean count of 0)

It is just a user title, no special privilege, just a little personal touch. It is like an avatar, actually less than an avatar. Look at what has been chosen by those eligible.

-EDIT I see Matthew posted as I posted, I changed mine after going over 300 beans past the eligibility point, so it proves your point that it isn't an oppurtunity that I (and others) gobbled up. I changed mine when a new user said he wanted a cool title like mine (I Ubuntu, Therefore, I am).

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
It is elitist in the sense that there are exactly 16 users with more than 3500 beans and exactly 17 Ubuntu Members (that are not already forums staff). So, we have 33 people who are eligible for a custom user title. Thirty three out of well over 400,000 users is certainly an elite group.

Only 16? Wow, I spend a lot of time on here.

I don't consider myself elite (except in a few video games), but I certainly like this forum and helping people.

overdrank
December 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
You know what is really cool? This is a totally optional feature. No one is forced to change their user title. The default one for people with over 3500 posts is a pretty good user title. The default user title for Ubuntu Members is a pretty good user title. In fact, there are probably Ubuntu members who have chosen NOT to take advantage of their special status and are using forum accounts that appear (and are) exactly the same as regular user accounts. If someone does not wish to receive an honor, it is not forced upon them.

That said, I am at a complete loss as to understand why anyone would have a problem with another person being singled out and given a special privilege as a "thank you" for genuine, kindhearted service.

What should we become? A society like that depicted in Harrison Bergeron (http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html)?

I look at it as a honor. :)

yabbadabbadont
December 28th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Wow. I had no idea that there were so few of us who could use this feature.

Lostincyberspace
December 28th, 2007, 12:27 AM
It looks like there are more since you all post a lot! and most of you guys change you avatars and sigs often.

LaRoza
December 28th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Wow. I had no idea that there were so few of us who could use this feature.

Neither did I.

Might as well use it, although I am not going to change mine (from what it is now) any time soon.

yabbadabbadont
December 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM
@LaRoza: I used to use my current title as my location, but I like the way that it looks just under my username. The two just seem to go together somehow... :D

LaRoza
December 30th, 2007, 12:55 AM
@LaRoza: I used to use my current title as my location, but I like the way that it looks just under my username. The two just seem to go together somehow... :D

My location used to be 169.254.171.208, but then I got the internet.

Bruce M.
January 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM
Total Beans: 158 (1.46 posts per day)

Lets see: 3500-158 = 3346 beans to go.

and at 1.46 beans/day that means it will take me 3346 / 1.46 = 2291.78 days to get them.

That's another 6.27 years. :cry: I don't think I have that long.

I need to resort to other tactics.

LaRoza
January 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM

and at 1.46 beans/day that means it will take me 3346 / 1.46 = 2291.78 days to get them.

Getting a custom user title shouldn't be the goal....

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm well away from this target but I think it's a nice option regardless. I'm not sure why some people are so against it.

Thanks, matthew!

bonzodog
January 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
I already know what title I would like here, but it's taken me 2 and a half years to get this far.

All I want for a title is 'Double Chocca Mocha Ubuntu'. In fact there is no mocha blend included in the standard titles.....hrm...

LaRoza
January 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
I already know what title I would like here, but it's taken me 2 and a half years to get this far.

All I want for a title is 'Double Chocca Mocha Ubuntu'. In fact there is no mocha blend included in the standard titles.....hrm...

That is long...

It took me little time to get the beans I have, but that is because I spend a lot of time in support forums.

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
It took me little time to get the beans I have, but that is because I spend a lot of time in support forums.

Evidently. :lolflag:

Bruce M.
January 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
Getting a custom user title shouldn't be the goal....

It's not trust me. I was just having fun.

I will never get that many beans anyway. Probably never enough to get my first cuppa either. And it doesn't bother me a bit.

I just don't know enough about Linux/Ubuntu to help that many times. I do what I can, with the very simple questions, that's good enough for me.

But it's nice to see that people that share their knowledge get a little perk. And besides, as mentioned before, it's an "option" to change things.

Here's what matters to me:

1. Linux/Ubuntu freed me from Microsoft
2. Ubuntu has given new life to my old P-III
3. I'm not a programmer, as I have said many times, so the only way I know of helping is answering a "few" questions that my limited knowledge allows.

It keeps me happy and I feel like I'm contributing to the community. ):P

Have a GREAT New Years Day
Bruce

PS: You selling any? :lolflag:

nikoPSK
January 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
Very cool mathew. Through I read somewhere there is a limit on infraction points?

Niko

kodak
January 1st, 2008, 09:47 PM
looks good

bapoumba
January 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Very cool mathew. Through I read somewhere there is a limit on infraction points?

Niko
What do you mean? 15 points is a ban, you can earn these all at once or piece by piece :twisted:

But, but, I'm going to disclose some info: i've seen way more points given to spammers :lolflag:

matthew
January 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM

All I want for a title is 'Double Chocca Mocha Ubuntu'. In fact there is no mocha blend included in the standard titles.....hrm...Keep your eyes open for people with "Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend". It exists...as of a few minutes ago. I'm not telling you at what post level, though. :)

NikoIt hasn't yet been implemented, but we plan to limit this to users who have received fewer than a certain number of infraction points (ever).

bapoumba
January 1st, 2008, 10:57 PM
It hasn't yet been implemented, but we plan to limit this to users who have received fewer than a certain number of infraction points (ever).
Ah, okay.
I did not understand the question, sorry Niko :)

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Keep your eyes open for people with "Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend". It exists...as of a few minutes ago. I'm not telling you at what post level, though. :)

I still think the ranking system is very odd. I know what the levels are, but not how many posts it takes to get there. However, the beans/mugs/cups are very deceiving. I went from 5 cups to 1 foamy cup and 4 beans. It actually looks like less than what I had before. ;)

Oh well. Just looking forward to that tall brown cup (I have to "level up" three more times). Do your infractions affect your rank?

matthew
January 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM
I still think the ranking system is very odd. I know what the levels are, but not how many posts it takes to get there. However, the beans/mugs/cups are very deceiving. I went from 5 cups to 1 foamy cup and 4 beans. It actually looks like less than what I had before. ;)

Oh well. Just looking forward to that tall brown cup (I have to "level up" two more times). Do your infractions affect your rank?Infractions do not currently affect your rank, unless you are fully banned, in which case you receive burnt beans.

The Forums FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48) has a comment on beans and ranks.
What's the deal with coffee cups/beans and the funny titles?
Beans are posts. The post/bean count can be turned off by the user if so desired.
There tends to be a close connection between geeks and coffee, so that's where the theme came from. Yes, we know not everyone likes coffee, but it's just a silly thing.
The images, their colors, and the changing icons don't have any special meaning. They simply change as time goes by. You will see (among other things) green coffee beans, roasted (brown) coffee beans, various sorts of coffee cups and mugs and so on. Like the titles, nothing specific is implied by the presence of specific images or titles (in almost all cases that is...staff, admins and banned users are some of the exceptions). These items are for fun, and are not serious. They are not a rank of any kind. They don't tell anyone how long you've been here nor how many posts you've made. The sayings and the images are a semi-random feature we have to provide a little kick. There is some structure to it, but only on the implementation side. We did this on purpose - because it was fun and whimsical.
There isn't a list of what you get, and when, because that's not the point. The reason for the secrecy was/is this: while we want to reward people who participate in these forums with titles and changing symbols we really don't want them to become some sort of gauge that people use to determine whether someone is speaking with more/less authority on a support topic. Other forums use the title/icon system that way and more power to them. However, there are people here with less than 20 posts who can code circles around much of the staff and are capable of giving amazing and useful responses to support questions...and there are some of us here with thousands of posts who might get lucky with a good and helpful reply on occasion. The fear is that people might use post count and titles/symbols as a means of judging the validity of a post's content rather than the content itself. We had a long discussion about this in the forums when they were first started and this subject has been revisited among the staff several times. Some forum members and staff wanted to eliminate the post count and title/icon system completely, some have gone the other way wanting a complete ranking system that is clear and gives honorific titles with great meaning to those with higher post counts (that particular group is in the extreme minority). The current system is a compromise that has been working pretty well for a while. With the compromise of meaningless titles/icons, post count can be hidden in UserCP. Anyway, this is why we don't publish how many posts are necessary for a change in title/icon...it's just a silly reward. The post numbers needed for title changes is something that is easy to modify so it gets modified on occasion, when the admins don't have better things occupying their time, merely to maintain the surprise factor. Bottom line: it just a trivial, whimsically amusing little thing. Don't read too much into it...it really isn't worth the slightest emotional involvement.

~LoKe
January 1st, 2008, 11:12 PM
Welp, given that I'm an avid coffee drinker and addict (I have two extra-large coffee's in front of me), I hope to someday earn/stumble upon the giant cup. Until then, well, I'll just keep going about my business. ;)

nikoPSK
January 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
Keep your eyes open for people with "Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend". It exists...as of a few minutes ago. I'm not telling you at what post level, though. :)

Ohhh, I'll keep my eyes peeled. :p

It hasn't yet been implemented, but we plan to limit this to users who have received fewer than a certain number of infraction points (ever).

Ah, gotcha... :|

nikoPSK
January 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
Hee hee, found it already.

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/5/1/1/f_Screenshotm_5e32b95.png

nikoPSK

overdrank
January 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM

:( I could not fit it all in ;)
Thanks again

matthew
January 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
:( I could not fit it all in ;)
Thanks againSorry. I may need to take some time to adjust the allowable length for custom titles. It works for those who have the title based on post count. I've got a killer week going, but maybe after that I'll get a chance to dig in and see what can be done.

overdrank
January 3rd, 2008, 01:17 AM
Sorry. I may need to take some time to adjust the allowable length for custom titles. It works for those who have the title based on post count. I've got a killer week going, but maybe after that I'll get a chance to dig in and see what can be done.

Not to worry matthew I am totally happy with this.Thank you :KS

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 06:03 AM
Woot, I just got it!

Chocolate Ubuntu Mocha Blend

Yes!! Lol.

Ripfox
January 3rd, 2008, 06:16 AM

:lolflag:

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM

That's another 6.27 years. I don't think I have that long.

My posts per day is around 2.22 or something. However, in the last two days I've been averaging about 100-200+ posts per day in the support forums. Just drop by and start helping people, it's fun!

metalpancake
January 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
I really want to help people and ear heaps of beans, but I just don't know the answers to most people's problems...

Does anyone know how I could learn more and become more helpful?

Most (if not all) of my beans came from posting rather n00by questions in absolute beginner talk!:shock:

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know how I could learn more and become more helpful?

At the moment I can't only help with most basic problems, but these questions are asked often so I get to try and help often. All I can suggest, honestly, is to just pop into random threads in gen help and beginner forums and look for simple solutions to common problems. You'll remember them eventually.

metalpancake
January 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I hope so.:)

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
I thought I had the system figured out, but I went from rank 20 to rank 23. No complaints, I have a big cup!

bonzodog
January 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I was thinking last night about the custom titles;

What about the idea of having a pull-down, limited list of titles that users can choose from in their options, until they get to the 3,500 mark, at which point, the option for a totally custom title presents itself?

Nunu
January 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
I was thinking last night about the custom titles;

What about the idea of having a pull-down, limited list of titles that users can choose from in their options, until they get to the 3,500 mark, at which point, the option for a totally custom title presents itself?

+1 I won't ever own a custom title :( I know to little...

Excuse me while i go tend to how i feel

Nunu runs of like a little girl to go cry on his wifes shoulder

notwen
January 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Infractions do not currently affect your rank, unless you are fully banned, in which case you receive burnt beans.

The Forums FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48) has a comment on beans and ranks.

Burnt beans.. *cackle* Thank you sir for the bored at work afternoon laugh. =]

Bruce M.
January 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I thought I had the system figured out, but I went from rank 20 to rank 23. No complaints, I have a big cup!

I thought there was no "ranking system" ... how can you go from 20 to 23?

BTW: Sounds like you're going up not down!

Bruce

LaRoza
January 3rd, 2008, 07:49 PM

Bruce

I was wondering the same....

They do change the titles and ranks, so don't try to follow them entirely. I know that 0 beans is the title I have now (yes, I chose it), and 3500 is "I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am".

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM

Bruce

Well, the images are names rank_0.png to rank_28.png. I was rank_20.png, now I'm rank_23.png. It is indeed random.

LaRoza
January 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Well, the images are names rank_0.png to rank_30.png. I was rank_20.png, now I'm rank_23.png. It is indeed random.

They could have removed or changed the pictures, I happen to know that there were a bunch of images that were used, many are still used, but they are not all the same from the beginning.

(Mine is 25, which is consistant with what I remember. So you can expect two cup thingies (the ones I have three of) next, and then two alternating with three white cups, then what I have.)

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
They could have removed or changed the pictures, I happen to know that there were a bunch of images that were used, many are still used, but they are not all the same from the beginning.

Very true.

Bruce M.
January 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Burnt beans.. *cackle* Thank you sir for the bored at work afternoon laugh. =]

And of course it's all acedemic anyway.
Burnt beans, white beans, mocca beans, you'll never see them if you're "banned"

What you should get is the beans between burnt and mocca. (Highlight needed). :lolflag:

EDIT what we need is a cameleon colour code, that will match any background colour :)

hhhhhx
January 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
still think im a little ways off :lolflag:

cartisdm
January 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
So basically I need to go read a bunch of books, learn everything there is to know about linux, then start helping people out left and right using the forums......

Maybe I'll reach 4 digits in a year or two.....haha

~LoKe
January 3rd, 2008, 08:21 PM
So basically I need to go read a bunch of books, learn everything there is to know about linux, then start helping people out left and right using the forums......

Maybe I'll reach 4 digits in a year or two.....haha

Don't help people for the beans, help for the sake of helping! The beans are just...a bonus, if you will.

Lostincyberspace
January 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Don't help people for the beans, help for the sake of helping! The beans are just...a bonus, if you will.
says the one with 1000 beans under the belt.

LaRoza
January 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
says the one with 1000 beans under the belt.

Beans don't mean anything, says me with over 1000 beans.

Bruce M.
January 3rd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Beans 183 - Rank 3 ... Some things are just what they should be.

I earned what I have and with almost no knowledge of Linux/Ubuntu. I simply hit the "Unanswered Posts" on occasion and "occasionally" there is a post I can help with. I even spend time Googling the answers if I have to.

Besides, I have two bags of "beans" in the cupboard. I have enough.

Just call me the "Paladin of UBUNTU".
And if you don't believe me, check out my Profile :)

And since I don't have enough years left to get what some have, I'm happy with what I do have.

Bruce
aka Paladin of Ubuntu

Nano Geek
January 3rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
We should also have a Bbay site where people with a lot of beans can auction them off to us who haven't many.

I'll start.
50 beans: starting at $10

Let the auction begin. :)

(jk)

LaRoza
January 3rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
We should also have a Bbay site where people with a lot of beans can auction them off to us who haven't many.

I'll start.

(jk)

Given your user name, it will be interesting what you choose as your title when the time comes...

Nano Geek
January 4th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Given your user name, it will be interesting what you choose as your title when the time comes...Don't worry, I have plans.
:twisted:

delfick
January 4th, 2008, 02:19 AM
back in the days of compiz.net, I got 1500 posts in less than 6 months....

which is like 10 posts a day

lol

(that was on the compiz.net forums)

snickers295
January 4th, 2008, 02:46 AM

can't wait to get there although I have absolutly no need for it:lolflag:

yabbadabbadont
January 4th, 2008, 03:20 AM
The biggest problem with having a lot of beans, is that no one will stand down wind of you... ;)

nikoPSK
January 4th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Beans 183 - Rank 3 ... Some things are just what they should be.

I earned what I have and with almost no knowledge of Linux/Ubuntu. I simply hit the "Unanswered Posts" on occasion and "occasionally" there is a post I can help with. I even spend time Googling the answers if I have to.

Besides, I have two bags of "beans" in the cupboard. I have enough.

Just call me the "Paladin of UBUNTU".
And if you don't believe me, check out my Profile :)

And since I don't have enough years left to get what some have, I'm happy with what I do have.

Bruce
aka Paladin of Ubuntu

Bwahaha. Nice artwork skills. Giggle here from chillywack. :)

Bruce M.
January 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM

I'll start.

(jk)

Are you buying or selling?
I have a 500g bag of beans here I sell you for U$10
Oh, you pay the shipping.

I can see a title now: Bought Em At the Nestles Store :lolflag:

New Thread: Custom Titles: B E A N S (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4072621#post4072621)

smartboyathome
January 4th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Looks like I missed that rank. :p

nikoPSK
January 15th, 2008, 04:16 AM
aH, now I know what seisen was going on about... :p

EDIT 2: Oh, heck with it. There are 17 people total in the Ubuntu Members usergroup. I'll give them all the ability to use custom user titles, at least for the moment and until I can talk to the whole FC to ratify the decision.

hyper_ch
February 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
[LIST]

I have now 3'501 post count but my title did not change and I can't find the option in the profiles option.

Is 3'500 post counts still accurate?

LaRoza
February 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I have now 3'501 post count but my title did not change and I can't find the option in the profiles option.

Is 3'500 post counts still accurate?

You have to change it yourself. (Welcome to the club)

hyper_ch
February 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
there is no entry for the user title in my profile.

hyper_ch
February 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
It works now... I guess there was just some "lag"

popch
February 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
It works now... I guess there was just some "lag"

A great many applications determine a user's right only when logging in.

hyper_ch
February 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
A great many applications determine a user's right only when logging in.

You're right on that... and that's what I also did at 3'505 postings ;) but then, no custom title option back then...

Zero Prime
February 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Wow, I guess it will be a long time before I reach that status. I mainly post over here or in other OSs.

overdrank
February 14th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Wow, I guess it will be a long time before I reach that status. I mainly post over here or in other OSs.

Well don't worry time flies when you are having fun. :)

nikoPSK
February 14th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Well don't worry time flies when you are having fun. :)
or does it... :shock:

yabbadabbadont
February 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Yes. It does.

:lol:

hyper_ch
February 14th, 2008, 08:12 AM

If you only post in here... it will take sort of forever to reach that bean count ;)

oldb0y
February 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM
If you only post in here... it will take sort of forever to reach that bean count ;)

Indeed...:)

billgoldberg
February 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM
How about some little extra feature for people with alot of thanks given to them?

hyper_ch
February 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
How about some little extra feature for people with alot of thanks given to them?

Like 68 thanks or more? *g*

EdThaSlayer
February 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM
This is quite a nice idea. It makes the oldies of the forums feel like kings...
Can't wait till I'm the king.(maybe a year or two to go...). :)