PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Ridiculous Censorship

renzokuken
September 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
cant help but laugh.........

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox-Live-a-Linux-Unix-Hater-64635.shtml

Ozor Mox
September 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Haha, pathetic! Makes me happy I don't have one.

aktiwers
September 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hah Thats just stupid.. must be a joke right?

EndPerform
September 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately, it's not really a censorship issue, it has to deal with trademarked names, so it's not really that big of an issue. *shrugs*

Depressed Man
September 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I remember reading this on slashdot, and the conclusion was it's censored because it was a trademarked name. Or something like that?

hidey
September 10th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I remember reading this on slashdot, and the conclusion was it's censored because it was a trademarked name. Or something like that?

Yeah and you can't pick Microsoft or Windows either.

renzokuken
September 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM

ahhh i see, guess i jumped to conclusions there then.......

Depressed Man
September 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah I don't think you can pick Pepsi, Coke, and other names like that too.

DoctorMO
September 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yes it is a trademark, but companies usually don't go out of their way to stop such usernames without a request from the trademark owner; and I don't see Torvalds asking Microsoft XBox Live division to prevent trademark problems.

southernman
September 10th, 2007, 02:48 PM
*Bill Gates says to the Xbox Devs* Guys, you've created a fabulous product :^o, but I have one more request... Make those FOSS guys stop picking on us! [-o<

Depressed Man
September 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Yes it is a trademark, but companies usually don't go out of their way to stop such usernames without a request from the trademark owner; and I don't see Torvalds asking Microsoft XBox Live division to prevent trademark problems.

Technically since they are usernames, it falls under some law that allows their use. Microsoft just wants to cover their asses (in a just in case there's a lawsuit thing). Even though they are usernames for accounts created by people and not Microsoft.