PDA

View Full Version : No NDA's required!!!

Miguel
September 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I think I'm going to cry. Mathew Tippet and John Bridgmand just announced that the ATI r500 and r600 specs will be provided without the need of sneaky NDAs. Source: phoronix (http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5144)

Also, r300 specs are supposed to follow shortly. Again, this is amazing. Absolutely amazing. Today I feel inmensely grateful. Let's hope for better drivers, and maybe, just maybe, an improved ACPI behaviour in Linux.

Splash one!

bruce89
September 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I suppose you mean NDAs?

Miguel
September 10th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I suppose you mean NDAs?

No, I mean no NDAs in that you can get the hardware calls without selling your soul to AMD. As opposed to the intel integrated graphics, which, although free, getting the specs requires signing a deal with intel.

Depressed Man
September 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM
NDA being non-disclosure agreement correct?

bruce89
September 10th, 2007, 04:34 PM
No, I mean no NDA's in that you can get the hardware calls without selling your soul to AMD. As opposed to the intel integrated graphics, which, although free, getting the specs requires signing a deal with intel.

I was commenting on the improper use of the apostrophe, but just ignore me.

Miguel
September 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yes, sorry. Non disclosure agreements. And thanks for pointing out the grammar fault, I'll edit the post's errr posts. Anyway, what do you think about the news?

argie
September 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I think it's pretty damn good. I don't code drivers :) but I think this means that now more than just a select few can see the specifications? And I assume that'll mean better drivers than even if just few of the very best saw them. Besides, from a Freeness point of view this is much cooler. If this is actually true, and the drivers are good, I will buy an ATI card. I've been holding out on buying a graphics card for a long time now, and boy am I happy!

CarpKing
September 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM
If they deliver on this I'll be personally writing them a thank you email, and I encourage other ATI users to do the same.

jc87
September 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Go go go AMD, free as in free speech drivers looks everytime a more close reality:)

PatrickMay16
September 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM
YES!!! Alright guys, I was just considering upgrading my video card.
I need something good enough to play Doom3 with good quality graphics at a nice framerate, and which does not need a fan for cooling. Which ATI card fits these requirements?

Miguel
September 10th, 2007, 08:24 PM
YES!!! Alright guys, I was just considering upgrading my video card.
I need something good enough to play Doom3 with good quality graphics at a nice framerate, and which does not need a fan for cooling. Which ATI card fits these requirements?

I suppose that an HD2600 would fit the bill. At least according to this benchmark (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=828&num=2). Just don't buy the lower end and you should be fine. Regarding passive cooling, you'll have to be a bit selective, since AFAIK some HS2600 do have a fan.

However, please note that I haven't tested the new drivers and I have absolutely no idea how good the open source drivers will be (r600 drivers will be out this or next week).

CarpKing
September 13th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Specs for some cards have been released: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-September/028151.html

Hopefully more will follow.

K.Mandla
September 13th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Wow. This keeps getting better and better. ATI cards are going to run like champs now.

Frak
September 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Man, I had a choice against an ATi and an Nvidia, I chose the Nvidia :(

Just kidding ;)
But I'd still like to have an open source card, that also runs under Windows and OS X. (Nvidia is non-native)

Anthem
September 13th, 2007, 04:26 AM
But I'd still like to have an open source card, that also runs under Windows and OS X. (Nvidia is non-native)
Video cards aren't replaceable on OS X.

Frak
September 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Video cards aren't replaceable on OS X.
Intel, ATi, and Nvidia cards are all supported under OS X.

All intel - native
ATi - Most, others require 3rd party drivers (not hard to find)
Nvidia - Most, others require 3rd party drivers (also not hard to find)