PDA

View Full Version : Careers in Linux?

GSF1200S
September 10th, 2007, 04:04 AM
You know, Ive only been in the Linux world for 6 months, but Ive already learned alot, and had a lot of fun.

Im like many of you ubernerds :) in my anticipation of this new release, or that new development. Linux fascinates me, and I find myself thinking more and more about having a career in this world.

Im not a Linux or computer god, but I think Ive managed to pick things up quick. I connect to my wireless via the command line. I installed the Ubuntu kernel from an alt cd, connected to wireless via the command line, installed KDE core, and have since setup everything Ive needed. I find with very few exceptions I accomplish anything if I put just a few hours aside.

So, with training to accelerate what I know, and still being a fairly young 23 year old, I could become a very profecient something in the Linux world.

Let me hear your opinions out there.. Would doing Linux for work take the fun out of it entirely? Is it a horrible job market to get into Linux out there? What avenues of Linux are best to explore?

I encourage anyone who develops or works with Linux for a living, as well as people who have just started to throw there pros and cons out there... I have this plan to teach and be a pilot once im out of the Navy, but Linux has become a total addiction for me...

lisati
September 10th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Good luck! there's nothing wrong with being involved in the start of a trend.

Kingsley
September 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM
You could probably be some sort of Linux software engineer.

Take a look at this site. http://www.hotlinuxjobs.com/

ThinkBuntu
September 10th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I see two main doors:

As a system administrator: Take the RHCE exam. It's pricey, but that's your foot in the door to be a full-time Linux system admin.
As a programmer: Many companies employ people to work on software that is free because of this software's importance to the company, or for other interests.

I'm sure there's also an industry for Linux computer help, but that overlaps the system admin field.

GSF1200S
September 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Cool.. sounds good so far.

Ive thought about taking the class for RHCE, and then the subsequent exam. I really need to get into programming, but theres so many different languages. Theres GTK+, qt, C++, C, and im sure theres more- I dont know which road to go down.

It would cost me probably well over 20k just to be a CFII, which is definitely stretching my current budget. I plan for college after I get out, but im really wanting to pursue philosophy as that is my main interest. That of course doesnt leave me with any employment opportunities. I dont know how well a position such as system administrator would work with me being a full time student- haha, life can be tricky. Im not really concerned with money.. as long as I have enough (35k), im more concerned with job security and actually enjoying my job.

ThinkBuntu
September 10th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Cool.. sounds good so far.

Ive thought about taking the class for RHCE, and then the subsequent exam. I really need to get into programming, but theres so many different languages. Theres GTK+, qt, C++, C, and im sure theres more- I dont know which road to go down.

It would cost me probably well over 20k just to be a CFII, which is definitely stretching my current budget. I plan for college after I get out, but im really wanting to pursue philosophy as that is my main interest. That of course doesnt leave me with any employment opportunities. I dont know how well a position such as system administrator would work with me being a full time student- haha, life can be tricky. Im not really concerned with money.. as long as I have enough (35k), im more concerned with job security and actually enjoying my job.
If you need a job, take my word for it: Web design is the way to go. Anybody can learn HTML and CSS in a month, tops (with dedication), and master it after only a year. You'll learn JavaScript on the way, which sets you up well for programming later. I got a job paying $32K which is just above poor in my area, but still respectable and was enough for me to have my own nice apartment by the city only five weeks after graduating high school.

A good web designer makes as much as a good programmer, and there are more opportunities for web designers with no formal education than for programming which will require a CompSci degree, etc. If you can get the W3C certificate for HTML/CSS, you're good enough to be employed.

Also, it's good to have a bit of artistic ability (or intuition), but you can teach yourself this. I recommend Sitepoint's The Principles of Beautiful Web Design by Jason Beaird. Nice light read, and you'll learn A TON.

ThinkBuntu
September 10th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Also, if you're looking for tech jobs, SD Bay is decent but not great. Check out the Bay Area, or if you're willing to move farther, the DC area. To tell you the truth, you can make a living off of web design with no employer. Let me explain. There are small businesses everywhere who all need websites some day. You can easily get $500 for a quick website with any of these places, and that adds up quickly...especially when you don't have to worry about your income being taxed until things really get going.

GSF1200S
September 10th, 2007, 04:58 AM
If you need a job, take my word for it: Web design is the way to go. Anybody can learn HTML and CSS in a month, tops (with dedication), and master it after only a year. You'll learn JavaScript on the way, which sets you up well for programming later. I got a job paying $32K which is just above poor in my area, but still respectable and was enough for me to have my own nice apartment by the city only five weeks after graduating high school.

A good web designer makes as much as a good programmer, and there are more opportunities for web designers with no formal education than for programming which will require a CompSci degree, etc. If you can get the W3C certificate for HTML/CSS, you're good enough to be employed.

Also, it's good to have a bit of artistic ability (or intuition), but you can teach yourself this. I recommend Sitepoint's The Principles of Beautiful Web Design by Jason Beaird. Nice light read, and you'll learn A TON.

Thats not a half bad idea... Definitely keeps me in the computer world, and im sure I could learn the stuff. As an added bonus, I could do it on the road (how I like to live anyways) with a satellite connection. I will definitely investigate this...

Other avenues are welcome- eventually I would like to be in an actual Linux environment...

Oh, and have any good advice on HTML editors? I know Microsoft FrontPage is used for this, but what options does Linux offer here? Thanks alot for the direction...

anjilslaire
September 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Any basic text editor is great for html:
gedit, kate, nano, vi, etc.

I'm currently in a IT security position in a 100% Windows environment for work, and spend most of my non-work PC time in my own linux environment (which I prefer) in order to keep a knowledge of both environments for the inevitable job switch into a(hopefully) mixed environment.

davahmet
September 10th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Oh, and have any good advice on HTML editors? I know Microsoft FrontPage is used for this, but what options does Linux offer here? Thanks alot for the direction...

You have a lot of good choices available in HTML/CSS editors. My own preference is BlueFish, but that's just a personal preference. Screem, Nvu and Quanta Plus are also top-notch editors.

As for Linux jobs, I am reminded of an online debate my wife was in five years ago when one of her friends asked "What good is Linux anyway?" Her reply was simply, "The new SUV in my driveway." since I had just started working at HP as a Linux firmware integrator. Although I left that job a few years later, I have continued to work extensively with Linux on the job and now work entirely in Linux (Ubuntu on desktops, laptops and servers) in my consultation business.

Even though Microsoft has successful pushed .Net around the corporate world, there is still quite a demand for Linux skills in the workplace.

stmiller
September 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Lots of Linux gurus work here (http://www.google.com/intl/en/jobs/).

ThinkBuntu
September 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
My HTML editor of choice is TextMate, but it's only available for Mac. Bluefish is solid...a little clumsy, but more than good enough to get the job done. The same goes for Quanta. Leave vi alone for the moment, because that's another unrelated skill you'd have to learn.

I taught myself in Notepad on computers I didn't own, and eventually took it home to our Mac using SimpleText. Those are probably two of the most basic text editors ever made, so you can learn on anything.

As a matter of fact, you'll learn HTML better by avoiding programs like Dreamweaver that give you all the code hints.

Nessa
September 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Can anyone recommend good online resources/ebooks for a Windows Network Admin/Tech to learn how to administer/troubleshoot in Linux (desktop/server) environment?

TIA.

altariel
September 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
My HTML editor of choice is TextMate, but it's only available for Mac. Bluefish is solid...a little clumsy, but more than good enough to get the job done. .
I really like Bluefish! sure, it has crashed sometimes (haven't needed to use some of the latest versions though so it might be better now) but it still is nice and "all-in-one" to my needs at least :)

xl_cheese
September 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Lot's of companies like IBM use linux. I did circuit design stuff there and we used AIX. Linux commands were very useful in sorting through all the data files we had.

dragon76
September 14th, 2007, 10:32 PM
I'm considering this same idea. My preference is system administration. I want to work towards taking the LPIC 1 tests then prob the Ubuntu cert just for kicks and LPIC 2. My personal hunch is that being certified in a more desktop oriented linux environment like the Ubuntu cert, will be in sudden demand in a couple of years. Linux is getting much, much better for desktop use by average users. I can't count the number of MS trainings I've been to, but their products just don't meet my needs as well as linux (this is starting to be true for others too).

BTW - GSF1200S... like the bike... mines a 2001, and red IS the fastest color ;-)

sr20ve
September 14th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I make $23/hr doing server support at a major computer company. I have no certifcations or college.

I'm working on a microsoft cert, then I'd like to look into some kind linux cert, probably RHCE.

Eventually, I'd like to see about transferring into the linux support department here within the company.

With the rate the popularity of linux is growing currently, I have a feeling knowing linux well will pay off in the future.

some_random_noob
September 15th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I'm 16 and I've pretty much been offered a job by a family friend (As a network admin). The funny thing is, that Linux isn't really taught at any educational providers - you learn it yourself. Which filters out all of the posers who have to pay for an education because they can't learn stuff by themselves :lolflag: ... due to that, you have very few people to contest with.

Linux doesn't have a huge job market BUT there's so much room for opportunity. It's not that hard to start your own business, depending where you live. I'm in New Zealand and everyone says that computers are "geeky" and thinks that the IT industry is really hardcore. But it's not, it's full of posers who have Microsoft solutions do everything for them; They barely have any real talent.

If you learn lots about Linux (Apache, postfix, samba shares, and basically anything you can think of which fits into a real-life scenario) then you can easily make a company name and start a one-man business, provided you have the people/communication skills. Just hope that someone in your part of the world hasn't already done this!

My advice to everyone out there is to tinker a helluva lot and speak with like-minded people. If I can't get the job I was offered, I'll start my own business. Being a network admin is one of the best jobs out there - bear in mind that you'll still be dealing with Windows XP/Vista. As for servers, recommend your clients Linux. There aren't a lot of experts out there when it comes to Linux servers. Most "network admins" just use Microsoft's point-and-click solutions. So, if you have real talent you can compete really well provided that there is a gap in the market.

GSF1200S
September 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
I'm considering this same idea. My preference is system administration. I want to work towards taking the LPIC 1 tests then prob the Ubuntu cert just for kicks and LPIC 2. My personal hunch is that being certified in a more desktop oriented linux environment like the Ubuntu cert, will be in sudden demand in a couple of years. Linux is getting much, much better for desktop use by average users. I can't count the number of MS trainings I've been to, but their products just don't meet my needs as well as linux (this is starting to be true for others too).

BTW - GSF1200S... like the bike... mines a 2001, and red IS the fastest color ;-)

Haha.. red looks pretty nice. A guy at work has a 98 thats red. I like my blue/white though too- its awesome to see the looks when you just smoked a literbike for a block (mines modded), and theyre looking at an 80s looking naked standard.. hahahahah

System admin seams more my area too- specifically the customizing aspect of it. Ill be picking some languages though, so hopefully I can get into both.

**EDIT** By the way, mines an '05, blue and white as said above.

GSF1200S
September 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Ive been researching the whole website design thing, and dang, its pretty intimidating. I know I can learn it, but DANG is there alot of competition. Its to the point that prices are almost rediculously low for the content required... Of course, it seems alot of the freelancers are from a foreign country, and with the exchange rate, its probably good money for them.

Ill figure out a way. My biggest problem is that im NOT a salesman, and I dont have an interest in being one. I CANT overcharge or expect too much, and, well, I have a conscience... The world is a very cold and competitive place. Not to get off topic :)....

Along with web design, I might also look at the certs. I dont know if being qualified as a system admin will help when im a college student, but I guess it cant hurt. Good stuff though- at least im starting the thinking process 2 years before I face the fire...