PDA

View Full Version : "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome"

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Hi! My name is RAV TUX and I am a Distroholic!

It all started with Ubuntu, I contracted a Linux Virus!

I call it the "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome"...

The effects are devastating, 500+ distros later I have just started to recover.

I have decided to start a support group and hold regular meetings...

If anybody is interested in joining me in the first ALDMASA("Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome Anonymous") meeting I would like to set up a twelve step program.

The focus of course is a healthy recovery from this highly contagious Linux Virus.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Hi! My name is RAV TUX and I am a Distroholic!

It all started with Ubuntu, I contracted a Linux Virus!

I call it the "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome"...

The effects are devastating, 500+ distros later I have just started to recover.

I have decided to start a support group and hold regular meetings...

If anybody is interested in joining me in the first ALDMASA("Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome Anonymous") meeting I would like to set up a twelve step program.

The focus of course is a healthy recovery from this highly contagious Linux Virus.

My first focus on the first ALDMASA meeting will be user acknowledgement that they in fact have a problem.

I would like to find people who are familiar with a 12 step program, either AA or NA to help us formalize a real recovery program.

The solution of course, inevitably will be acknowledgement as a road to recovery, and then making a commitment to one or two distros maximum.

I envision a world wide network of ALDMASA support groups, it all begins here.

The first meeting will be on Freenode ##cafelinux, date and time to be announced.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Please keep in mind that you should not post here if you would like to maintain your anonymity, I will post when I can hold the first meet-up.

You can also e-mail or PM me.

Kingsley
September 10th, 2007, 04:05 AM
http://www.adasdasd.jpg

ThinkBuntu
September 10th, 2007, 04:17 AM
My name is ThinkBuntu, and I'm a recovering distroholic. I haven't burned an ISO in nearly two months now, and I went cold turkey. The cure? Having work to do, especially work that makes me plenty of money! When I weigh my options and say "well...I could wrangle with so-and-so beta release for three hours, or spend those hours building my portfolio and getting money that could be spent on good beer, etc." the decision is easy.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 05:02 AM
http://www.adasdasd.jpg

Kingsley just showing up is the first step, welcome.

My name is ThinkBuntu, and I'm a recovering distroholic. I haven't burned an ISO in nearly two months now, and I went cold turkey. The cure? Having work to do, especially work that makes me plenty of money! When I weigh my options and say "well...I could wrangle with so-and-so beta release for three hours, or spend those hours building my portfolio and getting money that could be spent on good beer, etc." the decision is easy.

Hello Thinkbuntu! I support you in acknowledging yourself as a recovering Distroholic.

I too can understand the need to work hard as a great recovery, and the beer does taste so much better.
Sleep is nice also.

Thank you for sharing. As a fellow recovering Distroholic I am here for support if you ever need it.

For everybody else reading this thread, remember the first step to complete recovery is self acknowledgement. Remember once a distroholic, always a distroholic.

FuturePilot
September 10th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Hi. I'm FuturePilot and I also started with Ubuntu (I still use it as my primary OS) and then I started to get "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome". I've got a whole collection of Linux Distros (maybe not 500 but still quite a lot) Got a few different *buntu's, other Debian based distros, Unofficial forks of Ubuntu, some Gentoo, RPM based,
Every so often I'll go on a distro binge. I'll start jumping distros every 3 days or so.
But I always end up back with good old Ubuntu.

Do you have a group for DE addictions? I can never make up my mind and always trying different DEs, but always come back to Gnome.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Hi. I'm FuturePilot and I also started with Ubuntu (I still use it as my primary OS) and then I started to get "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome". I've got a whole collection of Linux Distros (maybe not 500 but still quite a lot) Got a few different *buntu's, other Debian based distros, Unofficial forks of Ubuntu, some Gentoo, RPM based,
Every so often I'll go on a distro binge. I'll start jumping distros every 3 days or so.
But I always end up back with good old Ubuntu.

Do you have a group for DE addictions? I can never make up my mind and always trying different DEs, but always come back to Gnome.

Hi FuturePilot and welcome! Thank you for posting. Your first big step to recovery has just been made and I support you. I too have been known to go on Distro binges on more then one occasion. Like yourself I too started with Ubuntu but always return to *buntu. I have currently found my home with Xubuntu. Even through I find elive very tempting.

I also have been subjected to the sister of ALDMAS, and have suffered the effects of ALDEMAS(Acute Linux Desktop Environment Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome). I am first grappling with getting my ALDMAS under control and am also working on my ALDEMAS.

The latter I find the most difficult, since I like so many like e17, XFCE, KDE, GNOME, Fluxbox, etc but I find great relief that I can experience these all in just one Distro and I find Xubuntu is the best place for me to experience all the DE's. I just need to find one and stay with it.

Again FuturePilot Thank you for sharing your post gives me strength as I know it has brought you renewed strength and others will see your example.

Remember; to all, the first step to recovery is self acknowledgement, the second step is sharing with others. We here as fellow Distroholics support you and you can rely on us for strength.

FuturePilot
September 10th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to try and just stick with Gnome. It seems to suite my needs best.:)

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to try and just stick with Gnome. It seems to suite my needs best.:)It is well integrated into Compiz-Fusion also.

init1
September 10th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Hi, I'm init1. I started with FC1. I definitely have "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome". After FC1, I experimented with Slax, but kept with FC until I got a newer laptop. I was afraid to install Linux at first, but after Ubuntu, I couldn't stop. And I still can't. I have needed to buy new CD cases to put all of my distros in. Right now I have Vector, Ubuntu, Antix, Dream Linux, and Debian on my hard drive, and another partition or two for more later. I don't need to install another one... yet.

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Hi, I'm init1. I started with FC1. I definitely have "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome". After FC1, I experimented with Slax, but kept with FC until I got a newer laptop. I was afraid to install Linux at first, but after Ubuntu, I couldn't stop. And I still can't. I have needed to buy new CD cases to put all of my distros in. Right now I have Vector, Ubuntu, Antix, Dream Linux, and Debian on my hard drive, and another partition or two for more later. I don't need to install another one... yet.

init1 welcome and Thank You for coming forth. Your first step to recovery has been made.

I have been thinking of holding the first ALDMASA/ALDEMASA meeting this Sunday night around 8pm at freenode ##cafelinux if you think you can attend please let me know.

rsambuca
September 14th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Uh, Ooops.

I think I entered the wrong room.

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Uh, Ooops.

I think I entered the wrong room.

...or it could be the 'RIGHT' room.

ThinkBuntu
September 14th, 2007, 01:04 AM
...or it could be the 'RIGHT' room.
Funniest post I've seen in UF.

Foxmike
September 14th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Hi! I'm Foxmike and I think I'm beggening to get the symptoms of "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome". I began with the non-stop GNOME then KDE then back to GNOME then XFCE etc... and it is now slowly expanding from DE to distros... I think I'm am not still as heavily affected as some others, but I have now Ubuntu along side with Gentoo and I'm preparing a partition for FC7... and it seems to me that Zenwalk as well as Arch are very tempting as well... what should I do? I have two childs, a house and a bird!!!

DjBones
September 14th, 2007, 04:24 AM
you can never have to many distro's,
this thread is all FUD haha

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 04:38 AM
Hi! I'm Foxmike and I think I'm beggening to get the symptoms of "Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome". I began with the non-stop GNOME then KDE then back to GNOME then XFCE etc... and it is now slowly expanding from DE to distros... I think I'm am not still as heavily affected as some others, but I have now Ubuntu along side with Gentoo and I'm preparing a partition for FC7... and it seems to me that Zenwalk as well as Arch are very tempting as well... what should I do? I have two childs, a house and a bird!!!

The choice is simple, really. I encourage you to think about your priorities and make a list. A list of distros and discover which ones you can live without.

you can never have to many distro's,
this thread is all FUD haha

Denial is the first sign that you have a problem.

Remember our ALDMASA meeting is this Sunday at 8pm at freenode ##cafelinux

I encourage all to attend I have starting recieving PM's confirming commitment to the first ALDMASA meet up.

Remember acknowledging you have a problem is your first step to recovery!

ThinkBuntu
September 14th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Somebody, I have a 750 of rum and an open Sunday night. Any drinking game ideas linked to distros? I'll think of one!

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Somebody, I have a 750 of rum and an open Sunday night. Any drinking game ideas linked to distros? I'll think of one!

Sounds like fun! ;)

Foxmike
September 14th, 2007, 06:02 AM
The choice is simple, really. I encourage you to think about your priorities and make a list. A list of distros and discover which ones you can live without.
Well... I guess I can stand with the present setup (Ubuntu/Gentoo)... The both offers very different concept I'm dreaming to see being merged into one distro (I guess I'll never see such a distro, but who knows?).

ThinkBuntu
September 14th, 2007, 06:02 AM
OK, here's one, but this could be dangerous: For every distro you've used, take a shot (RAV dies). How about every Debian-based distro? We need some other standard.

FuturePilot
September 14th, 2007, 06:03 AM
99 CDs of Linux on the desk, 99 CDs of Linux. Pick one up, share it around, 98 CDs of Linux on the desk.

:lolflag:

ThinkBuntu
September 14th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I haven't used Linux except for the occasional VM on my Mac for over a month, but I still have these discs in my desk, mainly to give to others:

GParted
openSUSE 10.2 DVD
Ubuntu 7.04
Debian 4.0 DVD
PCLinuxOS 2007
dyne:bolic 2.4

rsambuca
September 14th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I, uh,

Um, Well, I, uh,

Oh never mind.!

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 06:13 AM
OK, here's one, but this could be dangerous: For every distro you've used, take a shot (RAV dies). How about every Debian-based distro? We need some other standard.

LOL.....so loud I almost woke my wife up!

Yeah we have to find another solution.

An IRC Chat drinking game to overcome ALDMAS, it sounds original to me,....it could work. I have a bottle of Red Wine that I probably paid to much for that needs to be drunk.

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I, uh,

Um, Well, I, uh,

Oh never mind.!

Go into the light, the light is your friend!

Warren Watts
September 14th, 2007, 06:33 AM
'm so glad I came across this thread; this morning I split the zipper on my CD case trying to cram one more burned ISO into it. Maybe it's a sign that i have become affected with Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome. I would like to stop it now before it gets out of control.

One of my computers presently has four Linux distros on it, and I was just thinking last night of adding another.

I have experimented with Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Wolvix, Archlinux, DSL, Feather Linux among others.

It's beginning to effect my marriage...My wife asked me this morning "What were you doing on the computer all night?", and I was ashamed to admit I stayed up all night building a compact (1GB) Xfce desktop from a base install of Ubuntu Server.

I hope I can attend the first meeting.

RAV TUX
September 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
'm so glad I came across this thread; this morning I split the zipper on my CD case trying to cram one more burned ISO into it. Maybe it's a sign that i have become affected with Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome. I would like to stop it now before it gets out of control.

One of my computers presently has four Linux distros on it, and I was just thinking last night of adding another.

I have experimented with Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Wolvix, Archlinux, DSL, Feather Linux among others.

It's beginning to effect my marriage...My wife asked me this morning "What were you doing on the computer all night?", and I was ashamed to admit I stayed up all night building a compact (1GB) Xfce desktop from a base install of Ubuntu Server.

I hope I can attend the first meeting.

Warren, I understand completely what your going through...and congratulate you on your first step. Acknowledgment, I look forward to our first ALDMASA meeting and hope you can make it.

original_jamingrit
September 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I love this thread.

C.A.T.S. CEO
September 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I think I have that virus too! I think I must have downloaded over 100 distros when I first started using linux. :(

Gentoo, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Debain, KNOPPIX, DSL, DSL-N, Vortex, and a bunch others...

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Just a reminder that the first ALDMASA(Acute Linux Distro Multiplicity Addiction Syndrome Anonymous) Meeting for Distroholics is tomorrow night at 8PM EST at freenode ##cafelinux

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I've never really used IRC. What's the best app for it?

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I've never really used IRC. What's the best app for it?

The best is Konversation (http://konversation.kde.org/), the quickest and easiest is the built in IRC in Opera (http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=linux) which is what I'm using right now.

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2007, 03:34 AM
The best is Konversation, the easiest is the built in IRC in Opera which is what I'm using right now.

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Xchat (http://www.xchat.org/) which is really nice also.

FuturePilot
September 16th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Xchat (http://www.xchat.org/) which is really nice also.

Ah, thanks again!:)
I'll try to be there;)
I've been thinking of Gentoo again:o:p

Sunflower1970
September 16th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Does this count? I find I end up downloading and burning ISO's (I have somewhere between 20-30 CD's on my desk) but then never install them...I haven't burned a new one in about a month or so now though :)

LookTJ
September 16th, 2007, 04:39 AM
I haven't burnt a distro for about 2 1/2 months, I've found the distro I like. ARCHLinux

RAV TUX
September 16th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Does this count? I find I end up downloading and burning ISO's (I have somewhere between 20-30 CD's on my desk) but then never install them...I haven't burned a new one in about a month or so now though :)

This could be a start?

I haven't burnt a distro for about 2 1/2 months, I've found the distro I like. ARCHLinux

Cool I am glad you found a distro you like, I am currently using Elive Gem 1.0

I would like to install FaunOS (http://www.faunos.com/) on my USB jump drive, FaunOS is based on Arch Linux.

RAV TUX
September 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM
The first ALDMASA meeting was a success, all tough I was over an hour late due to fact I was up all night the night before and fell asleep for a nap and over slept. ;)

About 5 or 6 people showed up, we found that we were all using some form of Debian(either Debian, Ubuntu or Elive).

we all acknowledged our problem and agreed to commit to one, two, or three distros max.

Of course we had a lot of fun discussing different distros. ;)

Brightbelt
September 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM
But wait....Pardon me for saying so, but you originally said 2 distros max in your earlier post. Now 3? Is this the virus creeping in?

Don't forget: ALDMAS can be a "cunning, baffling and powerful" disease.

I'm new and I also have a possible point to consider, since I am in the first stages of this disease:

"The actual number of distros does not matter! It's indecisiveness and constant switching/installing that fuels this disease."

Case in point: I have only fooled around with 3 distros: Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Linux Mint and Mandriva, but I've gone back and forth and back and forth and back and forth etc etc etc.

It's all about the install folks. I LOVE the install process and it's the install that is most addictive part, .....for me at least.

Does this ring true with anyone else or am I out on a limb here?

Thanks for the thread,...Frank B.

argie
September 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Here's something for you then: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=147959

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Here's something for you then: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=147959

ROFL!:lolflag:
I wonder why the limitation with 2.6.20

RAV TUX
September 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM
But wait....Pardon me for saying so, but you originally said 2 distros max in your earlier post. Now 3? Is this the virus creeping in?

Don't forget: ALDMAS can be a "cunning, baffling and powerful" disease.

I'm new and I also have a possible point to consider, since I am in the first stages of this disease:

"The actual number of distros does not matter! It's indecisiveness and constant switching/installing that fuels this disease."

Case in point: I have only fooled around with 3 distros: Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Linux Mint and Mandriva, but I've gone back and forth and back and forth and back and forth etc etc etc.

It's all about the install folks. I LOVE the install process and it's the install that is most addictive part, .....for me at least.

Does this ring true with anyone else or am I out on a limb here?

Thanks for the thread,...Frank B.

I'm not sure but I think you may be out on a limb ;)

This guy needs some serious help.

yssida
May 20th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I think I'm addicted to Linux distros and have ALDMAS. The only thing that's stopping my addiction is my slow internet connection.

I frequently experience withdrawals.

master5o1
May 20th, 2008, 10:08 AM
And if you use Ubuntu on your iMac then it is:

ALDMA-Condition (Ald Mac ~ Old Mac)

quaddaemon
May 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I am super addicted and think I have all the symptoms of ALDMASA syndrome, Distro-outbreak... :lolflag: aaahhkkk... the antidote... give me.... ahhkkk... urrrkk... :-&

cookieofdoom
May 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one! Since I found out about DVD-RW's I've been wasting a lot less money. I still have CD folder full of old distros, though... Arch, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu Gentoo, Puppy, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Sabayon, and on and on it goes. When will the madness end! AHHH!!!!

Funny thread, lol.

swoll1980
May 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I call distro whoring. I'm a dirty, nasty distro *****