PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are running Compiz-Fusion?

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I just installed Compiz-Fusion in GNOME on Xubuntu, and everything seems to running great.

I have never used Compiz or Compiz-Fusion, I have only run Beryl and that was last year.

I was just wondering who is running Compiz-Fusion how does it compare to Beryl.

Any favourite settings you have? any thing to stay away from?

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I just installed compiz-fusion on Xubuntu today too. So far it seems a lot cleaner than the last version of Beryl I used. I'm impressed with it so far.

starcraft.man
September 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I'm still on Beryl, not planning on moving till Gutsy is out and I reinstall clean.

LowSky
September 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM
im stil using beryl... i might run fusion with gutsy

Spr0k3t
September 10th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Running compiz-fusion in Gutsy on my laptop. I've turned off quite a few things toning it down quite a bit. However, the only feature I always turn off regardless is wobbly windows... I hate wobbly windows.

On my Feisty system... I'm still using beryl.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I just installed compiz-fusion on Xubuntu today too. So far it seems a lot cleaner than the last version of Beryl I used. I'm impressed with it so far.

Are you using this in your XFCE session or the GNOME and KDE session in Xubuntu?

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Are you using this in your XFCE session or the GNOME and KDE session in Xubuntu?

I'm using it with Xfce. Works very nice.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I'm using it with Xfce. Works very nice.

I followed the instructions that Vorian PM'd here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion

for both GNOME and KDE, is there anything special I need to do to get it working in XFCE in Xubuntu?

PurposeOfReason
September 10th, 2007, 03:33 AM
I run the "stable" compiz fusion. Only because I like how the windows recognize the edges of the screen/panels. Makes moving stuff easier. I would use the other one, except all effects are set to fade because I like simple thing that you can notice. I don't need to see an airplane pop out of nowhere. lol. Then menus are slightly transparent and I have the show desktop effect on too. At first I hated wobbly windows but they grew on me. That's about all I use.

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 03:34 AM
I followed the instructions that Vorian PM'd here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/CompizFusion

for both GNOME and KDE, is there anything special I need to do to get it working in XFCE in Xubuntu?

I followed this tutorial, but skipped step 1.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=511166

They seem pretty similar. All I had to do after I installed it was run the command

compiz --replace &

and everything 'Just Worked(R)'.

Just log into your Xfce session, run that and see what happens. You should get the same theme and configuration you get in your GNOME session. Should work right away.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:35 AM

They seem pretty similar. All I had to do after I installed it was run the command

compiz --replace &

Just log into your Xfce session, run that and see what happens. You should get the same theme and configuration you get in your GNOME session. Should work right away.

Cool! I will try this now, <restarting X, to log into my XFCE session on Xubuntu> ;)

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 03:59 AM
well I may have to clean up by Xubuntu install a bit first.

Perhaps limit myself to either only XFCE or just XFCE, GNOME & KDE instead of the 10 DE's I currently use.

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 04:09 AM
well I may have to clean up by Xubuntu install a bit first.

Perhaps limit myself to either only XFCE or just XFCE, GNOME & KDE instead of the 10 DE's I currently use.

That could work. Right now I only have Xfce, although I have a ton of GNOME libs and dependencies installed for obvious reasons.

You won't be disappointed with how Compiz-Fusion runs on Xfce. It's quite pretty.

santiagoward2000
September 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I'm using Compiz-Fusion. I used to use Beryl. I love all the new plugins, specially the Flying Windows Screen Saver and the Airplane Animation :lolflag:

pointfivezero
September 10th, 2007, 04:13 AM
running on kubuntu feisty with NVIDIA drivers... and have been using it for a few weeks now (I was an avid beryl fanatic)

I find that the 'expo' plugin is far more appealing to me than the generic 'cube'.

Compiz-fusion was pretty simple to install (http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/index.html) with only the very odd occasion of kwin crashing everything else has been smooth for me...

good luck

igknighted
September 10th, 2007, 04:14 AM
I'm running CF... better than compiz, but really not as good as beryl. There is no tray icon by default, and the one that you can add works OK but not great. The settings manager appears to be layed out better than beryl's, but often it does not work and I have to resort to using gconf-editor. So over all I like beryl better, but CF has promise.

Oh, and CF has way to many gnome dependencies still... they have KDE meta-packages, but they just don't work right without the gnome crap.

DjBones
September 10th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I use the most bleeding edge version of compiz-fusion.. and update frequently from the svn.. not great for stability, but hell, who doesn't like snowflakes in the background?
I really like where the project is headed

FuturePilot
September 10th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I just installed Compiz-Fusion in GNOME on Xubuntu, and everything seems to running great.

I have never used Compiz or Compiz-Fusion, I have only run Beryl and that was last year.

I was just wondering who is running Compiz-Fusion how does it compare to Beryl.

Any favourite settings you have? any thing to stay away from?

Oo! Me! ):P Hehe. It's much faster and smoother than Beryl. And it has a lot more plugins. But it's just a tad bit heaver on the resources. But I'll take it. :guitar:

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I installed it but cannot work out how to get it to work. :confused:

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I installed it but cannot work out how to get it to work. :confused:

compiz --replace &

If you want to use the emerald theme manager use

compiz --replace -c emerald &

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 05:26 AM

compiz --replace &

I thought I'd try that and then got this. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/kiwi_samurai/Screenshot-t4k3z0uTAKEZOU-8.png

Perhaps its too soon for me to try installing the gucci stuff until I get more used to Ubuntu.

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I thought I'd try that and then got this. http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/kiwi_samurai/Screenshot-t4k3z0uTAKEZOU-8.png

Perhaps its too soon for me to try installing the gucci stuff until I get more used to Ubuntu.

Eek. Did you install compiz fusion overtop of a compiz or beryl install or did you remove any compiz or beryl packages before you installed compiz fuzion? I'd suggest purging compiz/beryl/compiz-fusion completely, getting rid of the config files and starting again.

RAV TUX
September 10th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Eek. Did you install compiz fusion overtop of a compiz or beryl install or did you remove any compiz or beryl packages before you installed compiz fuzion? I'd suggest purging compiz/beryl/compiz-fusion completely, getting rid of the config files and starting again.
This is what I am going to do, re-install Xubuntu fresh and then apply Compix-Fusion fresh.

Frak
September 10th, 2007, 05:50 AM
CF here. I'm going to make a port of it to OS X once CF gets to a .5 release.

matthewdhandley
September 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I also use Compiz-Fusion, and update frequently from the SVN repo. Yes, it does mean that I occasionally have to go a few days without a certain plugin, but it's really fun to be on the cutting edge of the effects.

I keep as many plugins enabled as I can remember keybindings for. I love using CF to impress Windows and Mac users, and showing them how I have all the effects they have, plus more. For example, depending on whether I hit control-tab, alt-tab, or super-tab, I can use Ring Switcher, Shift Switcher, or Application Switcher.

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM

If its already included with 7.04 then yes I reinstalled it. If it doesn't come with 7.04 then now, I just installed it via a website, by a member of these forums, and then haven't been able to do anything. I just tried that code before and got that message. Other than that I haven't done a thing.

Could you give me detailed instructions as to how I purge it from my system and where I can D/L a reliable version.

PM will be fine.

misfitpierce
September 10th, 2007, 05:59 AM
I went back to not using effects until ATI new driver set releases in october with AIGLX built in. Also when gutsy releases :). Compiz-Fusion is shaping up very nice though.

tcpip4lyfe
September 10th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Im running compiz-fusion. It is pretty stable on my system compared to beryl. I like the wall and shift switcher is pretty cool.

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 06:18 AM
If its already included with 7.04 then yes I reinstalled it. If it doesn't come with 7.04 then now, I just installed it via a website, by a member of these forums, and then haven't been able to do anything. I just tried that code before and got that message. Other than that I haven't done a thing.

Could you give me detailed instructions as to how I purge it from my system and where I can D/L a reliable version.

PM will be fine.

Follow part 2 of that tutorial.

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Follow part 2 of that tutorial.

Got past the removing part but adding 'sudo mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list"
tells me "sudo: mousepad: command not found"

Hmmmm

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Got past the removing part but adding 'sudo mousepad /etc/apt/sources.list"
tells me "sudo: mousepad: command not found"

Hmmmm

Try 'sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list'

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Try 'sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list'

sudo: gedit/etc/apt/sources.list: command not found

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM
sudo: gedit/etc/apt/sources.list: command not found

Doesn't look like you put a space between gedit and /etc/apt/sources.list

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Doesn't look like you put a space between gedit and /etc/apt/sources.list

:) whoops.

so now that list is up, I can follow the rest or the instructions yeah?

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM
:) whoops.

so now that list is up, I can follow the rest or the instructions yeah?

Go for it.

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Go for it.

WARNING: untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!

Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security.
You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
this is what you want to do.

Do I ignore this?

FuturePilot
September 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 81836EBF
gpg --export --armor 81836EBF | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update
Warning will automagically disappear.:)

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM
WARNING: untrusted versions of the following packages will be installed!

Untrusted packages could compromise your system's security.
You should only proceed with the installation if you are certain that
this is what you want to do.

Do I ignore this?

that popped up after entering this
sudo aptitude install compiz compiz-gnome compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unofficial libcompizconfig-backend-gconf

So I just want to know if I just proceed or should abort?

Circus-Killer
September 10th, 2007, 07:11 AM
still using beryl, but will probably only give fusion a try once gutsy has been released.

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM
that popped up after entering this
sudo aptitude install compiz compiz-gnome compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-unofficial libcompizconfig-backend-gconf

So I just want to know if I just proceed or should abort?

You can proceed, but you should add the key like the person above you stated.

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 07:48 AM
You can proceed, but you should add the key like the person above you stated.

I did that already, coz I'm following the instructions to a T. (I think thats the saying.)

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I did that already, coz I'm following the instructions to a T. (I think thats the saying.)

Well I'd proceed anyways, but I'm adventurous. ;)

The repositories listed are trustworthy and I use them a fair bit. Never had the problem you're having though, but you should be perfectly fine continuing.

afonic
September 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I am using Compiz Fusion on Gutsy and I am pretty happy with it, very stable and much better than what Beryl ever was. And I am using almost all the plugins. :)

hessiess
September 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM
How many of you are running Compiz-Fusion?

not me, I HATE EYECANDY ;)

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Well I'd proceed anyways, but I'm adventurous. ;)

The repositories listed are trustworthy and I use them a fair bit. Never had the problem you're having though, but you should be perfectly fine continuing.

Oh boy something just happened. I typed yes, it said invakid command, so I typed it again, and its just got a whole bunch or Y's going down the screen like this.

y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Oh boy something just happened. I typed yes, it said invakid command, so I typed it again, and its just got a whole bunch or Y's going down the screen like this.

y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y

Well what happened after that? lol

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Well what happened after that? lol

Rythmbox has now stopped playing music and my system is running very very slow. internet also has become slow

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Well it's just taken me 15 some odd minutes since my last post, just to take a screen shot, and then post this comment. If that gives you any indication as to how slow my computer has become since trying again to install CF.
At the moment t his is hell worse than running Windows.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d51/kiwi_samurai/Screenshot-t4k3z0uTAKEZOU-1-2.png

Could it be due to I waited a bit before saying yes to installing CF? whilst I waited for replies? this is so FN slow its not funny :'(

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM
OK I managed to use my initiative and do things by myself. Not too much problems, I fixed everything and have CF installed. My only uncertainty is,
this instruction
Hit Ctrl+alt+backspace, you'll be taken to login screen. Click on "Session" and choose "Xfce with XGL" from the list. If asked, do not make it as the default session (in case of trouble you'll be able to restore everything without too many efforts).
Coz my session options are run xclient script, GNOME, Failsafe GNOME or failsafe terminal.
What does this mean?
I'm just going to follow the last instruction and run "compiz -- replace"

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM
OK I managed to use my initiative and do things by myself. Not too much problems, I fixed everything and have CF installed. My only uncertainty is,
this instruction
Hit Ctrl+alt+backspace, you'll be taken to login screen. Click on "Session" and choose "Xfce with XGL" from the list. If asked, do not make it as the default session (in case of trouble you'll be able to restore everything without too many efforts).
Coz my session options are run xclient script, GNOME, Failsafe GNOME or failsafe terminal.
What does this mean?
I'm just going to follow the last instruction and run "compiz -- replace"

Yeah, don't do that. You can add 'compiz --replace' to your startup sessions and that should work just fine.

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, don't do that. You can add 'compiz --replace' to your startup sessions and that should work just fine.

How can I do that? I just ran "compiz --replace" and after a few seconds my screen flickered but nothing seems different. My mouse is still a normal pointer.

BTW I just realized that info pack is for Xubuntu 7.04, but I'm running Ubuntu 7.04
Well at least I thought thats what I D/L'd.

ETA: all the little X's for closing main windows have vanished. Ineed to alt 4 them and the windows are fixed, I can't move them around my screen.

ryno519
September 10th, 2007, 10:28 AM
How can I do that? I just ran "compiz --replace" and after a few seconds my screen flickered but nothing seems different. My mouse is still a normal pointer.

BTW I just realized that info pack is for Xubuntu 7.04, but I'm running Ubuntu 7.04
Well at least I thought thats what I D/L'd.

ETA: all the little X's for closing main windows have vanished. Ineed to alt 4 them and the windows are fixed, I can't move them around my screen.

Try

sudo apt-get install emerald emerald-themes
killall compiz.real

Sounds like the problem is you have no theme manager installed. This will allow compiz to use emerald themes.

ukripper
September 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM
i use Beryl mostly but do switch to compiz time to time when I get bored of eye candies I switch back to standard.

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Try

sudo apt-get install emerald emerald-themes
killall compiz.real

Sounds like the problem is you have no theme manager installed. This will allow compiz to use emerald themes.

OK so strangely enough it told me that no process killed, so I should continue to step 3 of your instructions???

n3tfury
September 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM
i'm running Feisty and compiz-fusion although it's a bit of a pig with a Nvidia 6300/1.4Athlon/512MB RAM.

i'll have 2GB of RAM on my doorstep when i get home. hopefully this improves things.

T4K3Z0U
September 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
"t4k3z0u@TAKEZOU:~$ compiz --replace -c emerald &
[1] 6613
t4k3z0u@TAKEZOU:~$ /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: dlsym: /usr/lib/compiz/libccp.so: undefined symbol: getCompPluginInfo20070830
/usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Couldn't load plugin 'ccp'"

Got this message. SO this is quite interesting coz when I made my first post in this thread, I had already tried two attempts at the install so this one makes number 3.

I have followed all instructions exactly.

capiscuas
September 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I have exactly the same problem.

BDNiner
September 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I am running compiz fusion on one desktop and one laptop. The laptop took a couple days to get running since it is a Dell Inspiron 1100 with an 8 MB video card. i only really use the cube. don't have many other effects installed.

JBAlaska
September 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Compiz Fusion+ Emerald + Awn on 2 machines. I love CF!

@ T4K3Z0U, once you have compiz and emerald running go to compizconfig settings manager and enable the "Move window" plugin, that will allow you to move your windows.

derekr44
September 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I've tried both CF and Beryl, but decided to stay with Beryl. It just fit my tastes better, I guess.

Polygon
September 12th, 2007, 10:06 PM
installing 3d drivers for my video card disabled it, so no.

theironyofitall
September 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I ran Beryl on 7.04, and found it MOSTLY stable, but not entirely (nvidia 5500 gpx)

I tried 7.10 alpha 4 and it was very unstabel, tribe 5 is a great improvment, much easier in lots of ways and while I tend to prefer beryl, I am getting used to c-f and it has a couple of new features, and seems a bit easier to set up once you get used to the new menu formats

mostwanted
September 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I do. Better than Beryl.

orange2k
September 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I used this guide to install Compiz-Fusion: http://forlong.blogage.de/article/2007/8/26/The-best-way-to-install-Compiz-Fusion-on-Ubuntu-Feisty

It is very fast (I finally have totally smooth animations), very stable and after installation Ive disabled the repo it came from, so it wouldnt bother me with updates. If Im gonna update, it will be when a new stable version comes out...